Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a male homosexual Biomedical Science 2nd year student anything! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Hi;

Sorry for the late reply, didn't even know this was posted on... (not on my watched threads list anymore for some reason...)

Starting uni in October? I assume Biomed?
    I got this book here, very good, VERY expensive and very big...
    Oh, and this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Communicatio...lls+bioscience

What uni do I go to?
    UWE - University of West England, Bristol.

What societies have I joined?
    I only joined one last year, Anime but, they show the WEIRD *hit in that society...
    Will try again this year and am going to join the LGBT society too. :rolleyes:

What new things did I learn?
    Other than academic stuff?
    How to cook (couldn't boil an egg before I left for uni, lol)
    How to manage finances, lol.
    How awesome fresher's can be. =P
    How expensive Phoenix Court can be... (moving out in just under 2 weeks)
    Essentially, the whole thing is a learning experience but, the best thing about uni is the atmosphere, there is nothing that is overwhelming.

Advice, homesickness is almost certainly going to happen, but, it WILL pass.
    Make a load of friends and you will have the best time of your life guaranteed.

Again, sorry for the LONG wait, didn't know anyone posted on my thread.

EDIT:
    Also, ironically, I don't like Lady Gaga and all the other stereotypical gay songs, lol...

That's okay, I'm always slow for replied too.....as evidenced by this reply.

thanks for the book links, i'm already shopping around for all this stuff!

Oooh, was Anime fun. Bar the erm, hentai, i take it?

That sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to it. Well, besides being nervous.

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Hey Guys;

Well, yeah, ask me anything. =)
    Seen a few threads so I thought I'd join in too.

This coming September will be my second year in uni.
    If you came out, how did your parents react?

ReputationRep:
    What grades did you get in A-level or equivalent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)
    If you came out, how did your parents react?
    I *think* my parents would be OK with it, then again, I'm 20 now and never had a girlfriend so, I think they have an inkling to say the least. :rolleyes:
    Though my uncle is EXTREMELY homophobic...

(Original post by Venatal)
    What grades did you get in A-level or equivalent?
    Biology - B
    Chemistry - B
    Maths - C (Curse those evil June 2013 papers from Edexcel!)
    Physics (As) - C

EDIT:
    Sorry again for the long wait for the response guys, I am packing my stuff to get ready to go to my new student accommodation tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    What advice do you have for Biology? I thought the test went really well but ended up with a C I was so gutted and depressed:'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venatal)
    What advice do you have for Biology? I thought the test went really well but ended up with a C I was so gutted and depressed:'(
    Which exam board?

I have a few science help threads which have tonnes of questions on AQA if you need help on exam technique.

Link to unit 1: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2157602

All biology units for AQA are online (1, 2, 4 and 5)

My A2 threads seem to get better reps than my As threads. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UsernameEight)
    Hey I read that you are/were? studying at UWE in Bristol and you're gay. I'm gay as well and starting 'Diagnostic Imaging' at UWE this September. I was just wondering if you think that the university is fairly gay friendly or not? Also (if you joined the LGBT society) what do you think of it??
    The Uni is very gay friendly ( as in a society but i can't think of anything else which would be gay friendly) from what I've seen and I did join the LGBT society, they ask for your email (no idea why, never heard from them via email).
    I only found out towards the end of the year that they update their facebook regularly with their agenda...
    When I joined the anime society, they sent out emails and as such, I expected the LGBT society to do so...

If you have any questions about the Uni in general, please keep in touch and I can help you.

I am currently on my phone at the moment and it doesn't work with TSR very well (closes abruptly) so, I can help you more tomorrow when I actually have a laptop in front of me. =)
    Will definitely try and be more active in the LGBT society this coming year...

If you need any help in regards to the Uni or need help regarding directions, questions or anything going on. You can PM me if you like. We may even see one another over the year. =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UsernameEight)
    Thank you so much! I'm actually not from the UK so I had no idea what it's like in that area of the country. I just saw the photos from the Bristol Pride parade last weekend and it looked awesome. Did you go?

I was thinking that UWE/Bristol was a pretty opened-minded/liberal area, but it's nice to get reassurance from someone who's actually living there.

When I was firming Bristol, my other unconditionals were from Edinburgh, Hertfordshire, Exeter and Aberdeen. Of course I did not base my decision solely on the ''gay friendliness'' of each of the cities but it did play a significant part lol. During the short time I stayed in Bristol I kinda got a better vibe then from the other cities + I loved Glenside (and the university) so it was the obvious choice haha

Okay thanks again for the reply, hope your course is going well for you!
    -Shane
    I didn't go to the pride event because I just don't go to them in general.
    I'm not actually from Bristol, I'm from the South East (initially I intended to try and get into Essex uni but the 2013 Edexcel maths papers DESTROYED the offer they gave me... got in through clearing), I just attend the uni.
    I would strongly recommend attending the welcome weekend to from the 14-20th of September, a lot of stuff happens during that time and is a good time to get to know people. =)

I didn't manage to get tickets to events I wanted to go to last year because I left it a little late, but will definitely be trying this year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.