Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Solve this Maths question, or else, you aren't good enough for Oxbridge Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    I've just finished my second year in my maths degree, and I've done loads of linear algebra. I have never heard of what you are talking about.

You've never heard the term 'matrix rank'????

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    You've never heard the term 'matrix rank'????

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes. I know that the rank of the matrix gives what you are saying, but I've always associate the number of equations with the dimension of the matrix.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I know that the rank of the matrix gives what you are saying, but I've always associate the number of equations with the dimension of the matrix.
    Who taught you that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who taught you that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Who taught you that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't know, it's just how we do it. If you have n equations with a parameter involved where for some values of the parameter the matrix has rant<n, you still model it with an nxn matrix.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Who taught you that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "The rank of a matrix is defined as (a) the maximum number of linearly independent column vectors in the matrix or (b) the maximum number of linearly independent row vectors in the matrix. Both definitions are equivalent."

I think james22 is correct, unless he wasn't specific enough for you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know, it's just how we do it. If you have n equations with a parameter involved where for some values of the parameter the matrix has rant<n, you still model it with an nxn matrix.
    Well yes but you also have to deal with the cases where the matrix is not full rank...viewing a matrix of rank m<n as a matrix of rank n is a bizarre and wrong way of thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    "The rank of a matrix is defined as (a) the maximum number of linearly independent column vectors in the matrix or (b) the maximum number of linearly independent row vectors in the matrix. Both definitions are equivalent."

I think james22 is correct, unless he wasn't specific enough for you.
    I'm guessing you don't know what linearly independent means.

In any case, the equations he gave were

x+y = 1

2(x+y)=2

Which always has an underlying matrix of rank 1...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And the other example he gave was ax+y=1, x+y=1 which is either determined with (0,1) or represented by a matrix of rank 1 with a =1. Again not full rank in any case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well yes but you also have to deal with the cases where the matrix is not full rank...viewing a matrix of rank m<n as a matrix of rank n is a bizarre and wrong way of thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not viewing it as a matrix of rank n, but a matrix of dimension n. You are the one who wants to view it as a matrix which is smaller than the number of equations.

ReputationRep:
    And the other example he gave was ax+y=1, x+y=1 which is either determined with (0,1) or represented by a matrix of rank 1 with a =1. Again not full rank in any case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is determined by a dimension 2 matrix, rank doesn't matter here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're not even a mathematician anymore.

You can't sit with us.

PS: Actually I do know what it means!!

ReputationRep:
    It is determined by a dimension 2 matrix, rank doesn't matter here.
    It is represented by a dimension 2 matrix, not determined.

You can think of it however you want, as long as you get correct answers. However, if you ever want to do more advanced stuff you will run into serious problems with your way of thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're not even a mathematician anymore.

!
    I actually do quite a lot of maths still. Mostly numerical solutions to PDEs and some stochastic stuff but it still counts!
    We also do stuff with matrices and vectors but mostly full rank stuff (or at least we assume things to be full rank and then abuse maths to make it work )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is represented by a dimension 2 matrix, not determined.

You can think of it however you want, as long as you get correct answers. However, if you ever want to do more advanced stuff you will run into serious problems with your way of thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I meant represented.

How do you represent a problem that may have redundant equations? Do you consider various cases and have a different matrix for each one, or do you have 1 nxn matrix (which is what I do)?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I actually do quite a lot of maths still. Mostly numerical solutions to PDEs and some stochastic stuff but it still counts!
    We also do stuff with matrices and vectors but mostly full rank stuff (or at least we assume things to be full rank and then abuse maths to make it work )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who is we?

TBH I haven't studied that much linear algebra and I haven't done any work on matrix rank at uni; my knowledge is entirely based on two webpages I visited today!

ReputationRep:
    Silence speaks louder than words.

ReputationRep:
    I meant represented.

How do you represent a problem that may have redundant equations? Do you consider various cases and have a different matrix for each one, or do you have 1 nxn matrix (which is what I do)?
    Generally you start with a big matrix and then split it up case by case. I think it's useful to get into a mindset of rank=equations as when you get into some of the applications where it is unclear what the natural rank and dimension should be you can generate a rank in various ways (amongst other situations: this is the first that came to mind)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who is we?

TBH I haven't studied that much linear algebra and I haven't done any work on matrix rank at uni; my knowledge is entirely based on two webpages I visited today!
    My company (well my particular division).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My company (well my particular division).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you get to use maths in an actual job?? :zomg:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.