English Language
    English Literature
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Drama
    Economics

Total of 15 exams
    What number of exams do most people have? What's the average? Do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie !)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, it depends on how many GCSEs are being done and whether your school is linear or whether you have previously done exam sin year 10. So generally, most people going into Year 11 would have about:

Maths: 2 exams
    Eng Lang: 1 exam
    Eng Lit: 2 exams
    Double/triple science: 4-9 exams
    RS (in some schools): 2 exams

Then generally their option subjects:
    Four of the next few:
    History: 2 exams
    Geography: 2 exams
    Sociology: 2-3 exams
    Psychology: 2 exams
    Media Studies: 1 exam
    ICT: 1 exam
    Other option subject etc

Just say combined the options consist of 7/8 exams, along with about 10 core exams, possibly 18?
    It'd be best to create a poll to see.

ReputationRep:
    What subject has the hardest GCSE in most people's opinions / which needs most revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It varies a lot.
    For me, I found all the language subjects much harder ( spanish and literature) I found with the sciences and geography it was just a memory test and you just have to recall the information. Out of all the subjects, i spent most time on Geography and Biology because they are just about memorizing information!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcusroye98)
    It varies a lot.
    For me, I found all the language subjects much harder ( spanish and literature) I found with the sciences and geography it was just a memory test and you just have to recall the information. Out of all the subjects, i spent most time on Geography and Biology because they are just about memorizing information!!
    Okay, I've heard too that Geography and Biology require lots of memorization. I don't find languages very hard at all, but I struggle on tests without doing revision beforehand. I also think that Maths requires a reasonable amount of revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElGenioEstúpido)
    Well, it depends on how many GCSEs are being done and whether your school is linear or whether you have previously done exam sin year 10. So generally, most people going into Year 11 would have about:

Four of the next few:
    Other option subject etc

Just say combined the options consist of 7/8 exams, along with about 10 core exams, possibly 18?
    Okay. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends how many subjects you do and how exam heavy they are. Most people at my school do 20-something exams in Year 11, I think. I've just finished Year 10 and will be doing 13 GCSEs next year - so I'll have 31 exams in May/June.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just looked back at the op and as you're doing a lot of subjects as well, I'd expect you to probably have over 30 exams too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    It depends how many subjects you do and how exam heavy they are. Most people at my school do 20-something exams in Year 11, I think. I've just finished Year 10 and will be doing 13 GCSEs next year - so I'll have 31 exams in May/June.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wow

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've heard too that Geography and Biology require lots of memorization. I don't find languages very hard at all, but I struggle on tests without doing revision beforehand. I also think that Maths requires a reasonable amount of revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths is a weird one.
    You just need to pick a topic and do loads of questions on that topic then you will be fine. With maths it just randomly 'clicks' after practice. I got an E in a mock exam in year 9 then I got an A when I took it early in year 11
    Just practice!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into yr 11 but I did 6 GCSE exams a couple of months ago. I've done: Maths, English Language, Geography, ICT, RE and Music. Next summer I will be doing: Astronomy, English Literature, FSMQ (not really a GCSE or an A level..) and triple science.

ReputationRep:
    Just a note: it does depend on the school and the exam board as to how many exams you do for core subjects

For example, in my school, it was 1 EngLang for everyone, 4 EngLit for the top 60 students in the year

2 exams for most people in Maths, with those in the bottom 2 sets doing 4 exams on AQA and Edexcel to get a better chance of a C, and some of us in the top set did AQA L2 in Further Maths, which was another 2 exams

4 exams for Double Science/6 for Triple Science (we put it down as one of our Y9 options, so it's not ability based as such, in my class it was a range of 1 A* target, a few A targets, mostly B, and a couple C) , one ICT for everyone, 2 RE for everyone...

The languages were 2 exams each in French/Spanish, but it was optional to do them, 3 in History, 2 or 3 in Geography etc etc

In total, I had 23 exams this summer, which was the most out of anyone in the school :/
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    I just looked back at the op and as you're doing a lot of subjects as well, I'd expect you to probably have over 30 exams too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a weird one.
    You just need to pick a topic and do loads of questions on that topic then you will be fine. With maths it just randomly 'clicks' after practice. I got an E in a mock exam in year 9 then I got an A when I took it early in year 11
    Just practice!
    Okay. Well done on the A!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At my school, we had a range of exams. On average there were 18-24 exams though.

Four of the next few:
    Other option subject etc

Normally it's: English Language is 2x exams and Double Science is 6x exams I believe [Edexcel do P1-2 (2 exams), C1-2 (2 exams) and B1-2 (2 exams), similarly OCR 21st Century do C1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams), P1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams) and B1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams)]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfur)
    At my school, we had a range of exams. On average there were 18-24 exams though.

Normally it's: English Language is 2x exams and Double Science is 6x exams I believe [Edexcel do P1-2 (2 exams), C1-2 (2 exams) and B1-2 (2 exams), similarly OCR 21st Century do C1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams), P1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams) and B1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams)]
    Depends which exam board you are on really, so for English Language, 60% will be a 2hr15 reading and writing exam on the AQA spec. Whilst on the OCR Gateway Science spec there'll be 4 exams for double science, B1P1C1, B2C2P3, B3C3P3 and B4C4P4, whilst triple is two more exams.

ReputationRep:
    Depends which exam board you are on really, so for English Language, 60% will be a 2hr15 reading and writing exam on the AQA spec. Whilst on the OCR Gateway Science spec there'll be 4 exams for double science, B1P1C1, B2C2P3, B3C3P3 and B4C4P4, whilst triple is two more exams.
    Is the rest Coursework for AQA? I always thought that they did two exams, maybe that's Literature.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Well done on the A!
    Thanks! I hated maths and then they entered me into Further maths :'(

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I hated maths and then they entered me into Further maths :'(
    Tough luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfur)
    Is the rest Coursework for AQA? I always thought that they did two exams, maybe that's Literature.
    Yeah so basically it's 40% coursework and 60% exams, whilst on Literature it's 25% coursework and exams making up the other 75%

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE I'm taking:

English Language
    English Literature
    Mathematics
    Triple Science
    ICT
    History
    Religion
    Spanish
    Business Studies

+ Additional Maths GCSE or AS Level Maths in Year 11.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.