Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Religious people are so boring! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Mortimer)
    This. Aside from religious dogma there's no objective reason why praying and worshipping God is time better spent than partying.
    Partying is not a problem unless excessive drink and drug consumption are involved. I think we can agree that this is usually the case.

Partying:
    • Engage in harmful activities
    • Lose sense of rationality
    • Engage in immature activities
    • Entertain the possibility of rejection from future employers
    • Alcohol is the leading gateway drug to illegal drugs, which in turn can lead to addiction
    • Partying has no long term benefits

Prayer and worship on the assumption that God does not exist:
    • Increased levels of confidence in the belief of being valued
    • Increased levels of well-being from the belief in higher protection
    • Alleviating of stress
    • Religious experiences offer a deep sense of happiness

From what I can see, prayer and worship have a far more positive effect that partying.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm religious I cannot help but laugh at some of the arguments of my fellow religious people. Frankly it's embarrassing.

(Original post by Hariex)
    Partying is not a problem unless excessive drink and drug consumption are involved. I think we can agree that this is usually the case.

Partying:
    • Alcohol is the leading gateway drug to illegal drugs, which in turn can lead to addiction

• Alleviating of stress

From what I can see, prayer and worship have a far more positive effect that partying.
    What? Who is valuing you?

Increased levels of well being according to who? Do you have research to back this point up?

Religious experiences may off you happiness but that doesn't mean it works for everyone again you need to backup your points with facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    They're also naive and stupid.
    why thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I work with quite a few dedicated Christians, always have interesting conversations with them and they have a good sense of humour. Far from boring. They might not go out every Friday night and have 12 pints of lager and a kebab but doesn't mean they are boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    Although I'm religious I cannot help but laugh at some of the arguments of my fellow religious people. Frankly it's embarrassing.
    Why do you think that?

What? Who is valuing you?
    Followers will believe that they are valued by their God.

Increased levels of well being according to who? Do you have research to back this point up?

Religious experiences may off you happiness but that doesn't mean it works for everyone again you need to backup your points with facts.
    Sure. Here is some research that I provided in a similar debate here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post47671663

Spoiler:
    Show
    Here is an article by the American Psychologist, an official peer-reviewed journal ranked 6th out of the 126 journals in its category.

It comments on the effects of religion:

...the individual may be more likely to avoid the vices (e.g., gluttony, lust, envy, pride) and practice the virtues (e.g., compassion, forgiveness, gratitude, hope)...

...people reportedly experience less conflict with; derive greater satisfaction and meaning from; and invest more time and care, and energy into those aspects of their lives they view as sacred...

...Those who reported a higher number of spiritual strivings also indicated greater purpose in life, better life satisfaction and higher levels of well being. Furthermore, spiritual strivings were related to less conflict among goals and to a greater degree of goal integration. Third, in a number of investigations, higher levels of an intrinsic religious orientation have been associated with better mental health, including self esteem, meaning in life, family relations, a sense of well-being, and lower levels of alcohol abuse, drug abuse, and sexual promiscuity...

Such findings are impressive. I will note, however, the negative impacts of religious faith. You can read about it shortly after the point from where these quotes were taken. I would note that, despite the struggles religious faith can bring, believers will have a support network to help them through whatever their problem is. One particularly insightful comment was that: "...the process of doubting, searching and questioning in the religious realm can also be a key and perhaps necessary prelude to growth and development." This must come as a shock to the New Atheists, to whom all progress must assuredly come from their own worldview.

http://www.psychology.hku.hk/ftbcstu...gament2003.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightyfrog2_10)
    sorry if this offends anyone but the afterlife we believe to be the right one and the only one that exists.. you're either punished or rewarded by God.
    Of course, but your idea of the afterlife is by no means the proven and correct one, it is simply an interpretation. Any other version could just as easily be true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamintorture)
    Everything is a no no , by this I specifically mean Muslims,
    Surprising...

no alcohol,
    No getting drunk is a good thing, Muslims stay in their senses and avoid things that could lead to harm

no pork,
    Chicken, lamb/sheep, beef, fish...

no music (sometimes),
    recitation of the Quran, nasheeds...

no sex,
    Since when? Controlled sex habits =/= no sex. Sex is allowed, but just not with anyone and everyone...

no fun!
    not true, as long as 'fun' isn't getting laid/hammered/high, etc...

Life is too short. Whenever I'm out with my Muslim friends I actually feel like sorry for them since they haven't actually lived. What if there's no afterlife?!
    Muslims agree that life is too short - but from a different viewpoint.
    It's good that you are considerate with regards to your friends, but they are (presumably) old enough to make their choices.

ReputationRep:

Partying:

• Alleviating of stress

But none of those so-called advantages of prayer would benefit someone who doesn't believe in God. In fact, many people are frustrated by prayer as they feel it is a one-way conversation and that God never replies or grants their requests.

There are many people who probably see partying as the pinnacle of fun, and as long as they're not harming anybody I don't see why there should be so much judgement (usually on the side of the religious) surrounding it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Mortimer)
    But none of those so-called advantages of prayer would benefit someone who doesn't believe in God.
    No, of course they wouldn't!

I was simply replying to your comment about how there is no reason for partying being worse than worshipping or praying. I made the points such that they did not require the existence of God in the hope that secularists would be able to see some advantages.

In fact, many people are frustrated by prayer as they feel it is a one-way conversation and that God never replies or grants their requests.
    I don't know whether you attend church regularly but in my experience this frustration is not evident.

There are many people who probably see partying as the pinnacle of fun, and as long as they're not harming anybody I don't see why there should be so much judgement (usually on the side of the religious) surrounding it.
    I listed some reasons for why I think it is not a healthy activity. Also, whilst religious objections are in the majority, some of us non-believers still agree with some of their moral principles.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether you attend church regularly but in my experience this frustration is not evident.
    I'd venture a guess that this would be more evident in people who have left a faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Not muslim, just FYI:

How could you eat this cute thing?!

Like this.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Some of the unhappiest people I know used to go out and party 24/7.

Not religious, FYI.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    You really believe a person hasn't lived till they eat bacon, or destroy their body with alcohol?
    That is not life, that is destruction.
    You haven't lived till you have made the once in a lifetime trip to makkah and madinah, you haven't lived till you have experienced ramadan and the feeling of sitting just before eating time having fasted all day long and think to yourself I could have gone a on some more hours.
    You haven't lived till you pray tarawiih after an amazing imam with beautiful moving recitation
    I was being sarcastic about my first comment I am Muslim myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
    That is probably because alcohol is also the most commonly used drug.

I am pretty sure there are many drugs that surpass alcohol on deaths, violence, criminal damage, health problems and police/medical time PER USER.
    Oh absolutely, it would be foolish to state otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Not muslim, just FYI:

How could you eat this cute thing?!

If I had to hazard a guess: With a knife and fork.

ReputationRep:
    In my view, what one person finds boring, the other may not and vice versa. For example, I love watching the football world cup, but there are lots of people who don't and they find it boring. Everyone has their views on what is fun and what is boring. We cannot impose those views on others. The only thing we can do is be with like-minded people who enjoy similar things to us - so if I like to watch world cup, I will select the friends in my circle who enjoy football, and not the ones who find it boring. Moreover, I cannot criticise or look down on the people who find my interest/views boring.

This mindset is then universal - it doesn't matter if we're talking about religion, football, food, music etc.

ReputationRep:
    Now that you've confirmed that I'm indeed a boring person, I'll go drown my sorrows in a non-alcoholic beverage...:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Most `practising` muskims i know smoke weed anyway guess some ppl consider that fun if thats ur thing. Loads also go clubbing (but dnt drink)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a practising Muslim and I couldn't say it better than you did,iits true that we have different outlook on life, I recognize life as a place to show God respect and this happens when I obey him in stressful things such as restraining my desires

ReputationRep:
    Everybody's idea of fun is not the same. I don't need alcohol and drinking to have fun. I don't like alcohol or drinking unless it's a sweet wine or some other fruity, sweet alcoholic drink and then I still don't need that stuff to have fun. Sex is not everyone's idea of fun or pleasure. I like parties, traveling to new places like museums, beaches, or other places and meeting like minded, interesting people. And I like books. Everyone isn't like you so no need to feel sorry for them. Although, I'm not religious, religious people have a different mindset and that's perfectly great if that's what feels right for them. I don't like all of the religious rules and outlook (from different religions) that I personally consider to be stupid, restrictive and boring but that's from my perspective.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.