Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism = Female Supremacism: Men are the weaker sex. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plasticity)
    The No true scotsman fallacy escapes you, truly.

And considering that this article was published in The Guardian indicates that this is a mainstream view.

On another note, could you explain to me why the movement for equality, otherwise known as egalitarianism, is incessantly being called feminism?
    I don't know what fallacy you're talking about however your second point sounds like a rash assumption to make.

I'm not actually a feminist but I believe it's because it was started when women were oppressed.

ReputationRep:
    The No true scotsman fallacy escapes you, truly.
    On another note, could you explain to me why the movement for equality, otherwise known as egalitarianism, is incessantly being called feminism?
    Feminism is not simply equal rights for men and women. That's a naive view to take. It's about so much more. At the heart of modern feminism is the notion of gender performativity, and this idea of sex being biological and gender being an artificial construct. It's about men too!! And breaking down these artificial notions of masculine and feminine. Google Judith Butler, or modern feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiamaria2)
    Feminism is not simply equal rights for men and women. That's a naive view to take. It's about so much more. At the heart of modern feminism is the notion of gender performativity, and this idea of sex being biological and gender being an artificial construct. It's about men too!! And breaking down these artificial notions of masculine and feminine. Google Judith Butler, or modern feminism.
    Hmm most 'normal' feminists ramble on about equality, so it seemed that was it's core purpose.

And why would you want to break down the notion of masculine and feminine? Also I would argue that gender is directly related to sex, and so breaking this natural and normal link is highly questionable.

ReputationRep:
    It's true and unfortunate that radical feminism dominates what most people think of 'feminism.' Feminists creating controversial articles is just the easy way for them to get attention. But as you can see, all this radical feminism does nothing but annoy men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieC130)
    I don't know what fallacy you're talking about however your second point sounds like a rash assumption to make.

I'm not actually a feminist but I believe it's because it was started when women were oppressed.
    Google it, you might learn something about debate and logic.

And considering the Guardian is one of the largest and most well known newspapers, my assumption isn't rash at all. If it had been published in some middling feminist paper, then fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is females>males
    Egalitarianism is equality

You don't see much of females campaigning for male rights. Males are discriminated against as well, especially in law. Males tend to pay more in a divorce. Fathers usually have less rights. I don't ever see grants for males entering a female dominated industry.

C'est la vie

ReputationRep:
    Spread awareness! Feminism is sexism!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubz1)

You don't see much of females campaigning for male rights. Males are discriminated against as well, especially in law. Males tend to pay more in a divorce. Fathers usually have less rights. I don't ever see grants for males entering a female dominated industry.

C'est la vie
    It's because females aren't generally speaking as prominent as males in the world of politics/current affairs etc.. so they have less of a voice.

And you're bang on, modern feminism is all about breaking down these gender constraints. I'm really please that you pointed out that males are stereotyped as well as females, and there is pressure of guys to behave like 'real men' which is a load of gender bullish*t.

And it's too true, the family law courts have bias to side with women over men and this isn't fair. And it shouldn't be so.

This is what I mean when I say modern feminism isn't an women's only club it's for everyone, whether you be male or trans. It's about breaking down these gender stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Spread awareness! Feminism is sexism!
    Trolling much?

ReputationRep:
    Trolling much?
    Not really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubz1)

C'est la vie
    There's inequality in loads of different aspects of life.

Fair enough that males generally have more "higher up" jobs and have greater resources.

But it's funny when female perks are ignored in a quest for apparent equality.

The male and female genders are different biologically, physically, psychologically and socially.

Does that mean they have to be exactly equal in all aspects of life?

ReputationRep:
    Google it, you might learn something about debate and logic.

And considering the Guardian is one of the largest and most well known newspapers, my assumption isn't rash at all. If it had been published in some middling feminist paper, then fair enough.
    Googled it; your point is invalid. I wasn't saying women who agreed with the opinions shown in the OP weren't "true feminists". I just said not all feminists agree on the same things especially radical ideas like that. Also I'm slightly confused on what point your trying to make about The Guardian. Are you implying that it's likely to be representing a mainstream feminist opinion through the article?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    There's inequality in loads of different aspects of life.

Fair enough that males generally have more "higher up" jobs and have greater resources.

But it's funny when female perks are ignored in a quest for apparent equality.

The male and female genders are different biologically, physically, psychologically and socially.

Does that mean they have to be exactly equal in all aspects of life?
    I would love to hear about these women's perks?!! I'm actually interested in this...

And FYI the male and female sex is different, gender is arguably an artificial construct. Biologically different yes, men penis, women no penis But the rest? That's very controversial to say and in most academic discourse you would be shot down for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    PSA: Feminism =/= Misandry, thank you.

Unfortunately everyone seems to latch onto the groups who genuinely do show hatred towards men and of course it's those who give feminism a bad name.

Please don't confuse misandrists with feminists, they may call themselves feminists but they've lost the plot as to what it's actually trying to do.
    Well maybe so but one might argue it's a concern when a major national newspaper (see also Independent Voices) is giving radical misandrists a voice. Even if it is just for clicks.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to hear about these women's perks?!! I'm actually interested in this...

And FYI the male and female sex is different, gender is arguably an artificial construct. Biologically different yes, men penis, women no penis But the rest? That's very controversial to say and in most academic discourse you would be shot down for that.
    Of course women have perks
    I'm not saying said perks are always what women want - some may not want to coast through life with their beauty or be taken care of by men who think them to be fragile.

As for gender, there are massive differences in the psychology of men and women - it's rather late and I'd rather not recount evidence for this right now but trust me, studying in the psychological field has led me to learn quite proficiently that men and women are different in more ways than in a physical dimension.

I'm not disagreeing in the respect that these can be artificial; shaped by the world we live in, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

ReputationRep:

The biological differences between men and women aren't limited to reproductive rogans though. They are different in many ways, physically and psychologically, which has resulted in "gender stereotypes", which is really just another way of saying years and years of trends resulting from differences between sexes. They don't need to be broken; they are like that for good reason. This isn't women's rights or men's rights or equality, it's arguing against how society has shaped itself and, frankly, it's arguing against extremely trivial preferences and nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    It's because females aren't generally speaking as prominent as males in the world of politics/current affairs etc.. so they have less of a voice.
    Well yes I agree overall but clearly there ought to be affirmative action for say male primary school teachers if there is going to be for women in say engineering. What's the problem, especially if you suppose that primary school teacher is a poorly paid job due to being a "woman's job" - you're not handing the male applicant much power.

And you're bang on, modern feminism is all about breaking down these gender constraints. I'm really please that you pointed out that males are stereotyped as well as females, and there is pressure of guys to behave like 'real men' which is a load of gender bullish*t.
    Yes but this is not in my view due to "patriarchy".

And it's too true, the family law courts have bias to side with women over men and this isn't fair. And it shouldn't be so.
    Easy to say, but where are the leaflets, the hashtags, the seminars, the articles, the campus debates? Clearly feminism isn't as inclusive as it likes to pretend.

This is what I mean when I say modern feminism isn't an women's only club it's for everyone, whether you be male or trans. It's about breaking down these gender stereotypes.
    So far, so happy-clappy. Bear it out with actions and then I will believe it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm most 'normal' feminists ramble on about equality, so it seemed that was it's core purpose.

And why would you want to break down the notion of masculine and feminine? Also I would argue that gender is directly related to sex, and so breaking this natural and normal link is highly questionable.
    'Normal' right. The majority don't always know what they're talking about. And to be honest most people don't when it comes to feminism, even women! Yeah it is about equality too, but it has moved on as a concept so much since the 70's and I feel that a lot of people still associate 'feminism' with what it was in the 70's but it's changed.

Right, you can argue that, but in the accademiic world the theory that sex and gender are different isn't controversial. You can believe what you want and I believe in the sex and gender distinction.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take offence to an article written with humour, which if written by a male author would be represented as quality 'banter'.
    Rubbish, if a man wrote an equivalent article he would be subject to trial by Twitter within the hour. Though I suppose we are doing just the same thing to this woman here, if on a much smaller scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    The biological differences between men and women aren't limited to reproductive rogans though. They are different in many ways, physically and psychologically, which has resulted in "gender stereotypes", which is really just another way of saying years and years of trends resulting from differences between sexes. They don't need to be broken; they are like that for good reason. This isn't women's rights or men's rights or equality, it's arguing against how society has shaped itself and, frankly, it's arguing against extremely trivial preferences and nothing more.
    really excellent summary of everything in a single paragraph (prsom).

you're exactly right; men and women are different in so many ways.
    it doesn't mean a woman will DEFINITELY have a high level of compassion, it just means that women in general will.
    even something as simple as a single trait like that can have a massive effect on perception and behavioural differences between a man and a woman.

the fact is that there will always be an argument - this is a system that can never be perfect.
    i don't forsee a future where men and women will be viewed equally in every aspect of life.
    i just don't seehow that could ever happen, given just how long it takes humans to extinguish even the most trivial of gender stereotypes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.