Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Do you genuinely think that lawyers are only hired from 6 universities?

Depends on the type of consultancy, although I've heard that the management ones generally only hire from two: Oxford and Cambridge.
    Only the top 3: McKinsey, Bain and BCG are known for their emphasis on Oxbridge. Other management consultancies spread their net wider
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    The people who say a levels are easier than unis are the people who either do easy courses or go to bad unis.
    Out of all the medics and dentists I've spoken to (all got AT LEAST AAA) they said a levels aren't even comparable to their degrees academically never mind the level of responsibility that also comes with clinical training.
    Are you suggesting that medics and dentists have pushover degrees, or did you mean to say harder rather than easier in the first line?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uxa595)
    What do you lot do at uni out of curiosity?

I got AAAA at college and I'm at Warwick doing accounting and finance to put my comments into perceptive. It's hardly seen as either a joke uni or course but I still find it easier then A-levels.

If any of you do arts subjects, or go to some sub-par uni like Coventry or Leeds, please don't try to act like a cocky ****.

Also, if you didn't get at least AABish, I don't think you have any grounds to state uni is harder because you did poorly at college.
    Accounting and finance does explain your reasoning quite a bit. Anything related to business is in that grey area that doesn't primarily require the mathematical/technical reasoning of the sciences/engineering/mathematical economics or the similarly abstract but drastically more imprecise and ethereal logic of the humanities.

I wouldn't knock the humanities. Though their "barriers to entry" are lower than the sciences, the toughness comes in the form of a) the sheer volume of independent work required b) the nature of extended essay writing which is a very hard art-form to master and stand out (as opposed to science subjects, where scoring highly is very easy if you're capable) c) The inherent subjectivity and impreciseness of the arts (which I mentioned above).

A&F/business on the other hand... well that's just a standard extension of GCSE and A-level business studies, as my close friend at Warwick tells me (he does Law and Business). And the barriers to entry are quite low as well.

For the record, I did a multidisciplinary course that involved maths and the social sciences, at a university always ranked above yours. I scored higher than you at A-level. I graduated with 1st class honours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Are you suggesting that medics and dentists have pushover degrees, or did you mean to say harder rather than easier in the first line?
    No I mean their degrees are MUCH more difficult than a levels. You'd bloody hope so lol
    They did say that the degrees aren't 'conceptually' difficult but theres a hugeeee workload and stress is really high because of how rigorous clinic is.
    e.g Now you can't retake a year for medicine or dentistry because it costs too much for the taxpayer, the GMC and GDC have added a new law that means that students whos behavior is inappropriate whilst in university can be rejected entry into the GDC or GMC.
    I think medicine/dentistry/vetmed are the most stressful degrees, not academically, but because of all the other things that come along with it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No I mean their degrees are MUCH more difficult than a levels. You'd bloody hope so lol
    They did say that the degrees aren't 'conceptually' difficult but theres a hugeeee workload and stress is really high because of how rigorous clinic is.
    e.g Now you can't retake a year for medicine or dentistry because it costs too much for the taxpayer, the GMC and GDC have added a new law that means that students whos behavior is inappropriate whilst in university can be rejected entry into the GDC or GMC.
    I think medicine/dentistry/vetmed are the most stressful degrees, not academically, but because of all the other things that come along with it.
    you might want to correct your original post then, since you said anybody who find a levels easier is doing a crap degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    This probably varies from degree to degree and university to university, which I think is the conclusion these threads usually end up coming to.

I can tell you that I just graduated from Cambridge with a law degree, and that A levels were not even on the same planet in terms of the difficulty, quantity, or any other measure you care to apply.
    Agree with you there, I'm still at Alevel but my cousins is also doing Law in cambridge in her last year now , and said that its way harder than A levels by the long shot, but then again it might be due to the fact you go to a really good and academic university.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseebi82)
    Agree with you there, I'm still at Alevel but my cousins is also doing Law in cambridge in her last year now , and said that its way harder than A levels by the long shot, but then again it might be due to the fact you go to a really good and academic university.
    Certain courses should be hard wherever you go, such as Law, Medicine, Mathematics etc. If at an institution these degrees are easy they will have taught you little of use and will thus probably have less value than the paper the certificate is printed on.

ReputationRep:
    Certain courses should be hard wherever you go, such as Law, Medicine, Mathematics etc. If at an institution these degrees are easy they will have taught you little of use and will thus probably have less value than the paper the certificate is printed on.
    Medicine/dentistry is incomparable to law and mathematics.
    Law and mathematics degrees do not have to adhere to a certain high standard unlike medicine/dentistry. Which is why medicine and dentistry is AAA at every uni whereas you can get into law/maths at some unis with pretty low a level grades.
    Medicine and dentistry are governed by the GMC and GDC and the government sets the student numbers, this is why the standard is soo high.
    Incomparable to law and mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseebi82)
    Well, according to both my cousins one studies Dentistry in his first year and the other she studies Medicine going into her third year, Both say it way more harder than a levels, because you could simply learn the exam techniques and pass , where as the Degree requires way more knowledge and understanding and it can be very hard to predict whats on the exams. I think it foolish to say one degree is less 'adhere' than another, especially the ones you mentioned because, not everyone who does medicine would be able to cope with Law and vice vera , it all depends on the passion you have for a subject, Both my cousins are reading your post and think your really narrow minded in what your saying.
    When did I say that degrees weren't harder than a levels? wtf are you talking
    about?

Im saying that ALL medical/dental degrees have to live up to a similar, very high standard, and the students at every medical/dental school are on a similar level.
    The same cannot be said for maths or law.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    When did I say that degrees weren't harder than a levels? wtf are you talking
    about?
    Before you edited your first post in the thread you implied it through a typo

ReputationRep:
    Before you edited your first post in the thread you implied it through a typo
    **** yea, I read it again after commenting back to you haha

ReputationRep:
    It is not the Uni or course it's self it's what you make of it for example if you don't put in the work you won't get get grades you want from Uni. For example, havering college have an amazing social work programme but because it's not a Uni it's not respected yet people say that's it's amazing

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    But it's also about making use of it and applying knowledge into work place

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    Prob depends on the course what did u study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree on that too places like grenwich are amazing for nhs degrees and psychology but are totally **** for techmology

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveteddy14)
    I agree on that too places like grenwich are amazing for nhs degrees and psychology but are totally **** for techmology

Nightworld1066
    If you compare the NHS degrees there they are horrible in contrast to more superior places like KCL for example. The standard and expectation are different, I did Access to Pharmacy, so seen the lot with lesser unis. They have a lower expectation and teaching is bad.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but a degree in nursing, ot is black and white

Nightworld1066
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The jump between GCSE and A-Levels is much greater than the jump between the latter and University.

I think A-Levels are marginally tougher than University, actually.

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels highly encourage rote memorization and exam technique. It's why private school students always score straight A's since the quality of teaching practically drills that stuff into them. To a certain extent, you could theoretically get just about anyone into Oxbridge if you threw enough money at them.

Uni is far more laid back in terms of your studies and time management with a lot more emphasis on the real academic self-education. The content is objectively harder, but it's a far cry from the sheer packed insanity that was doing something like Further Maths + Physics + Chemistry at A-Level.

As someone who went from getting CDD at A-Level to straight Firsts at my first year of uni, I enjoy it a lot more for the same reasons I'd imagine someone who preferred the breakneck pace of A-Levels to be hating it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.