Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Happy Birthday to a Great Woman Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    In my experience, people tend not to care much about historical figures' birthdays in general if they died a while ago. I expect you'd have got the same tepid response of 'oh is it? Well done that man/woman, now back to my life' if you'd tried it on with Churchill or Gandhi etc.

Let's face it, if we sat around reflecting on and remembering individuals who contributed positively to society every day, nobody would get anything done.
    Fair enough. I mistakenly thought that one of the leading lights of gender equality being on the main Google page might strike a chord with female students, but I accept that appears to not be the case.
    Never too old to learn, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    Suffragettes - Emiline Pankhurst and daughters- used terrorist methods including bombing churches and attacking politicians to basically scare people into getting the vote

Suffragists - Millicent Fawcett - used peaceful methods including flyers and public speaking to try and convince men that the best thing was for woman to get the vote

Or perhaps the other way round, but I'm 80% sure it's that way xD
    yep you're right

However there's the argument that had the suffragettes not ****ed **** up women's suffrage wouldn't even have been discussed before the war at all - it kept the issue alive and in the headlines when more pressing matters such as tensions with germany and the naval arms race were happening as well as a whole list of other things.

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    I just thought that young women might want to acknowledge the debt of gratitude they owe to the leader of the suffragette movement.

It was just a thought.
    I don't think that women should be singled out as having to 'owe a debt of gratitude'. Equality should be taken as a given by everyone who has it, and demanded by those who don't. Everyone should appreciate that her actions resulted in equality - not just young women.

ReputationRep:
    Don't most historians these days say that the militant efforts of the Suffragettes actually hindered the campaign for women to get the vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Don't most historians these days say that the militant efforts of the Suffragettes actually hindered the campaign for women to get the vote?
    They do indeed, I studied it at AS and tons of historians say that it was the peaceful efforts and changing attitudes that led to the vote. Sylvia Pankhurst did some good work, but her mother, not really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)
    They do indeed, I studied it at AS and tons of historians say that it was the peaceful efforts and changing attitudes that led to the vote. Sylvia Pankhurst did some good work, but her mother, not really
    Yeah I did Higher history and I don't know about you but we were told the complete opposite in standard grade (I'm not sure the English equivalents of these qualifications). If I remember correctly, we were also told that the efforts of women during the war also helped them get the vote but once we got to higher we were then told that they probably would have gotten it earlier if the war didn't get in the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    No.

Some historians do, some don't, but it would be a mistake to assume that there is a consensus on the issue.

Regardless, her impact was significant and she was named in Time magazine's 100 Most Important People of the Century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bartimaeus)
    I don't think that women should be singled out as having to 'owe a debt of gratitude'. Equality should be taken as a given by everyone who has it, and demanded by those who don't. Everyone should appreciate that her actions resulted in equality - not just young women.
    Fair comment, and as man I'm very happy to acknowledge the debt that we all owe to the likes of Pankhurst and Fawcett.

The reality is that, based purely on this tiny sample size on TSR, men are hostile towards Pankhurst, OK with the less confrontational Fawcett, whilst women are largely uninterested in both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Never heard of her.
    Maybe we are at that point where early 20th century individuals, no matter how important, have disappeared off the collective radar?

ReputationRep:
    Hardly the most balanced and even handed summary.
    Well I'm no historian but to the best of my knowledge that is a general summary of each parties activities; what would you say different?

ReputationRep:
    Fair comment, and as man I'm very happy to acknowledge the debt that we all owe to the likes of Pankhurst and Fawcett.

The reality is that, based purely on this tiny sample size on TSR, men are hostile towards Pankhurst, OK with the less confrontational Fawcett, whilst women are largely uninterested in both.
    It's not reality if it's skewed by the tiny sample size :P I think perhaps you're encountering some hostile boys because disparaging feminism is the 'in' thing to do on internet forums at the moment.I'm sure the majority of people you meet in everyday life will acknowledge the contributions made by Fawcett and Pankhurst.

ReputationRep:
    If she campaigned for women to be allowed to fight on the front lines during world war 2, rather than shaming men who didn't, that would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bartimaeus)
    It's not reality if it's skewed by the tiny sample size :P I think perhaps you're encountering some hostile boys because disparaging feminism is the 'in' thing to do on internet forums at the moment.I'm sure the majority of people you meet in everyday life will acknowledge the contributions made by Fawcett and Pankhurst.
    Of course you are correct on the 'reality' statement, I'm sure there is a shield waiting to be picked up.

Yep, anti-feminism is depressingly prevalent on here, sometimes I'm amazed that we ever made it beyond

Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.