Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    I think it was easy for me to be a polygot:lol: I mean, I was born in Amsterdam, so I learnt Dutch and Flemish, my parents are Asian, so I can speak Urdu and Punjabi and finally I speak English, oh and I can understand German/French:smug:
    It is cool:cool: You could be one, just travel the world!:woo:
    Flemish in Amsterdam? xD

Did you consider taking Urdu / Pubjabi / Dutch at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmb19)
    You have to remember that the new comers found it extremely difficult. I remember I saw people on twitter singing petitions to lower the C1 grade boundaries saying it was 'extremely difficult', and the same for other exams. But as an A2 student I found the test papers quite fair and there were only a few questions I thought were tricky. They'll lower the grade boundaries for sure
    At A2 I also found everything fair but as I did both I could see the AS was tricky. Hopefully they will be lower! Hate to think what might happen if they don't.

(Original post by thatitootoo)
      Flemish in Amsterdam? xD

Did you consider taking Urdu / Pubjabi / Dutch at A-level?
      Flemish is the same as Dutch:mmm: Just a different accent, which I can impersonate
      No, I did take GCSE Dutch though
      Do you think I should take A level Dutch as well then?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by arfah)
      Flemish is the same as Dutch:mmm: Just a different accent, which I can impersonate
      No, I did take GCSE Dutch though
      Do you think I should take A level Dutch as well then?
      Ehe ja! I was born in Rottedam, and am originally from West Africa
      I also took GCSE Dutch a couple of years ago - I got an average A. Wbu? I'm now waiting for my A-level Dutch result, btw. The AS is not too bad at all. Have a look at a past paper on the OCR site

Ehe ja! I was born in Rottedam, and am originally from West Africa
        I also took GCSE Dutch a couple of years ago - I got an average A. Wbu? I'm now waiting for my A-level Dutch result, btw. The AS is not too bad at all. Have a look at a past paper on the OCR site
        Ooooh Rotterdam cool:rolleyes: I'm from Amsterdam
        AFRICA??! I wanna go there one day:flutter:
        I got an A*:smug: I took it a year after I moved to the UK
        I'll have a look on the website...I'm not sure my college will let me do A level Dutch though, I'll have to request it

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by arfah)
        Ooooh Rotterdam cool:rolleyes: I'm from Amsterdam
        AFRICA??! I wanna go there one day:flutter:
        I got an A*:smug: I took it a year after I moved to the UK
        I'll have a look on the website...I'm not sure my college will let me do A level Dutch though, I'll have to request it
        The continent is huge :lol:
        A perk of the OCR minority languages is that they don't have an oral component (so your college wouldn't have to go through the stress of finding and paying a Dutch speaker to conduct a speaking exam) :yep: Just 1 written paper for the AS and then another for the A2, but they are quite longggg though ^^

The continent is huge :lol:
          A perk of the OCR minority languages is that they don't have an oral component (so your college wouldn't have to go through the stress of finding and paying a Dutch speaker to conduct a speaking exam) :yep: Just 1 written paper for the AS and then another for the A2, but they are quite longggg though ^^
          Yea, I'd like to travel everywhere:woo:
          OMG wow I should do it, I don't care what my college says! That's odd though :/ is there no coursework involved then with OCR??:awesome: I mean if it's just exam, I can do AS and A2 in one year!! Or am I dreaming now??:lol:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by arfah)
          Yea, I'd like to travel everywhere:woo:
          OMG wow I should do it, I don't care what my college says! That's odd though :/ is there no coursework involved then with OCR??:awesome: I mean if it's just exam, I can do AS and A2 in one year!! Or am I dreaming now??:lol:
          No messing about with coursework - just the 2 exams and you've got it :sexface: haha If you're really fluent in Dutch then it shouldn't be too hard either! (Mijn Nederlands is niet perfect...)

No messing about with coursework - just the 2 exams and you've got it :sexface: haha If you're really fluent in Dutch then it shouldn't be too hard either! (Mijn Nederlands is niet perfect...)
            Why didn't someone tell me this before?! I will surely request to do A level Dutch! what other subjects do you do??:ahee: I'm not that fluent anymore, Ik kwam hier wanneer ik 12 was...I'm not sure that made sense but yea:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by arfah)
            Why didn't someone tell me this before?! I will surely request to do A level Dutch! what other subjects do you do??:ahee: I'm not that fluent anymore, Ik kwam hier wanneer ik 12 was...I'm not sure that made sense but yea:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
            This information regarding the existence of an A-level in Dutch, has indeed always been sacred and reserved just for those fortunate persons among us who have some sort of conection to the Netherlands...and now I've revealed it to you lmao

I also took AS German from scratch this year Was self studying some Stats modules at the beginning of the year but I quickly lost motivation :emo:

Ik was ook twaalf jaar oud toen ik hier naartoe kwam!

This information regarding the existence of an A-level in Dutch, has indeed always been sacred and reserved just for those fortunate persons among us who have some sort of conection to the Netherlands...and now I've revealed it to you lmao

I also took AS German from scratch this year Was self studying some Stats modules at the beginning of the year but I quickly lost motivation :emo:

Ik was ook twaalf jaar oud toen ik hier naartoe kwam!
              Loool I feel privileged:mmm:
              Eeeew I hate German, I tried learning it, but it's just messed up Dutch and English mixed together
              Wow we're a bit similar:lol:

ReputationRep:
              For those hoping that A-Level grades will stay the same because of people doing worse due to no January exams lowering the Grade Boundaries, I really doubt this will happen all this would alleviate the whole point of Gove's plan of removing January exams, to make the exams harder.Exams aren't marked with if students do worse grade boundaries go down, although this is generally the case due to harder exams causing students to do worse lowering grade boundaries.Exams are marked using a criterion marking system comparing grades,l with previous years to ensure standards stay the same.

The exams were very hard this year and the cohort will be weaker due to the removal of January exams, so I am expecting a huge drop in grades it might not happen this year due to only 50% of the grade being affected but it should happen next year this drop will be significant enough to warrant a lot of complaints I think.In previous years, A-A* grades have dropped by about 0.2-0.3% per year a very insignificant decrease but I anticipate a 2-3% drop per grade this year and possibly up to 4-5% per grade next year, maybe I am being pessimistic but I can't see Gove being successful in his immoral and horrible goals if this doesn't happen and Gove would be regarded as a failure because his changes wouldn't have worked to avoid grade inflation and make exams harder.

(Original post by Dalek1099)
                For those hoping that A-Level grades will stay the same because of people doing worse due to no January exams lowering the Grade Boundaries, I really doubt this will happen all this would alleviate the whole point of Gove's plan of removing January exams, to make the exams harder.Exams aren't marked with if students do worse grade boundaries go down, although this is generally the case due to harder exams causing students to do worse lowering grade boundaries.Exams are marked using a criterion marking system comparing grades,l with previous years to ensure standards stay the same.

The exams were very hard this year and the cohort will be weaker due to the removal of January exams, so I am expecting a huge drop in grades it might not happen this year due to only 50% of the grade being affected but it should happen next year this drop will be significant enough to warrant a lot of complaints I think.In previous years, A-A* grades have dropped by about 0.2-0.3% per year a very insignificant decrease but I anticipate a 2-3% drop per grade this year and possibly up to 4-5% per grade next year, maybe I am being pessimistic but I can't see Gove being successful in his immoral and horrible goals if this doesn't happen and Gove would be regarded as a failure because his changes wouldn't have worked to avoid grade inflation and make exams harder.
                :cry: You're right, I dont know why I even thought of lower grade boundaries under the
                current government:cry2: I hate this coalition, the lib dems are there to keep a balance and compromise, not agree with the Tories:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
              Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
              Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.