Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    That's just like saying: '9/11 didn't kill or affect any of my family, so I don't give a ****'

Why post just to say that you don't care? It's pointless.

Oh come on you can't really compare education reforms to 9/11 :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I'm personally glad he's gone. He was excellent in that he knew exactly where the problems in our education system were and actually tried to fix them. However, his methods were utter ****. He attempted to make so many pointless changes, apparently just for the hell of it. Making all A-Level students sit exams at the end of 2 years (effectively getting rid of AS)? Changing the letter system to a number system (so, 1, 2, 3.. instead of A*, A, B)? Reducing focus on american texts in favour of traditional (and quite dry) english texts? Performance pay for teachers?

It was a whole load of crap, if I'm honest. And the frequency of his changes was rather annoying. But he was an excellent education minister, if not rather stubborn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    Oh come on you can't really compare education reforms to 9/11 :lol:
    Yeah, it was a tad overdramatic but I needed to get my point across

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    What has Gove actually done that has impacted so heavily on your education?
    Funnily enough, nothing. All of his changes were planned, so were going to affect future years. It's just senseless hatred, provoked by other people senselessly hating him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    That's just like saying: '9/11 didn't kill or affect any of my family, so I don't give a ****'

Why post just to say that you don't care? It's pointless.
    Because this thread is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Gove actually had very good intentions. I bet most people who comment on this thread know very little of what he was all about and simply, like sheep, followed the crowd because of the inability to form your own opinion.
    • Welcome Squad

Lol at the old TSRians patronising the younger ones.

I'm interested to see what happens next, if anything and I'm glad he's gone. I think the move to make course linear, and exams to be sat at the end of a 2 year period could be detrimental.

I think such a decision could drive students away from studying subjects considered tough at A level. Also I wonder how effectively one could test 2 years worth of knowledge over a couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenAssirati)
    Yes, bad decisions are gone, because Gove was the only person to ever have made bad decisions :rolleyes:

I honestly think Gove was an earnest, passionate man, who truly wants to improve the education system. His heart was in the right place, but his Tory brain wasn't, and as such he made some awful, awful decisions.

Don't worry, no matter who is in the role, they will screw up somehow.
    I agree with this. I have many criticisms of the way Gove has conducted himself, but now it's a case of what we'll get after him. Will this woman and/or the next Tory/Labour minister be worse?

Hope it's not a case of 'better the devil you know'. Morgan could turn out to be a wicked woman.

ReputationRep:
    Goodness gracious...you people have no clue. Rejoice...Gove has gone (as education secretary) by all means, but here are some words of warning...

But he's now chief whip of the Conservative party. So now he's going to get the rest of the Tory yes-men to vote exactly in accordance with Dave's hideous policies. If anything, his overall influence on the Conservative party has actually increased.

And what of his replacement, Nicky Morgan? Well she was just your average Tory 'equality' minister...who opposed gay marriage, and tried to justify the tripling of tuition fees to students at Loughborough. If anything, she'll be worse. And she is still women's minister, so she is juggling two posts. Yeah, because that'll help get good results for both :rolleyes:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Any evidence backing that up?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27314075

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Also I wonder how effectively one could test 2 years worth of knowledge over a couple of weeks.
    Students seemed to manage for, what, 30 years with that and it is my understanding that both Oxford and Cambridge still base their degree results on the score obtained in final exams that cover 3 years worth of material. Seems to work for them being consistently based at or near the very top in world teaching.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no fan of Goves policies but there is no doubting he had guts and interesting ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    Let's celebrate yes, one of the few people in government that had the conviction to try and bring about significant change to our education system, is gone. It saddens me that people celebrate that he's gone, and then bemoan the state of our education system. I doubt his replacement will see through what he tried to do. She wont be as good.
    lmao tell me more of these significant changes you talk about. Were you in high school/secondary school when these changes took place. I think not.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't flame if you were, cba to get into a keyboard fight.

ReputationRep:
    Is the person that is taking over going to be any better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    our education system will be **** no matter who is in charge.
    • Welcome Squad

Hi, thanks for the quote.*

I'm not sure, there's been an increase in the number of students that take mathematics
    for example, and that could potentially be due to the modular and As/A2 nature of the A Level.

From what I've read in documents published
    by the Engineering professors council and MEI is that, such reforms as putting a level*
    exams after 2 years could drop numbers in
    subjects that are considered hard, but also,*
    that in certain subjects due to the volume of content that needs to be covered modular exams are vital/ a necessity.*

Also, just because older students went through a certain system doesn't mean it's
    the best.*

On the issue of Cambridge this is what I
    found " No official class is assigned to the overall degree issued by the University of Cambridge. Instead, each Part of a Tripos is
    self-contained and you obtain separate results for each one: there is no averaging out for a final degree. You may have heard the phrase "a double first", which means that a first class was achieved in two sets of
    examinations corresponding to two different Parts of Triposes"

Interpret as you wish.
    (Also sorry for the awkward quoting, im on my phone)

(Original post by Drewski)
    Students seemed to manage for, what, 30 years with that and it is my understanding that both Oxford and Cambridge still base their degree results on the score obtained in final exams that cover 3 years worth of material. Seems to work for them being consistently based at or near the very top in world teaching.

ReputationRep:
    This nutter wanted to scrap GCSE exams & return to O-Levels!

Thankyou Lord he has gone..... :fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Hi, thanks for the quote.*

I'm not sure, there's been an increase in the number of students that take mathematics
    for example, and that could potentially be due to the modular and As/A2 nature of the A Level.

From what I've read in documents published
    by the Engineering professors council and MEI is that, such reforms as putting a level*
    exams after 2 years could drop numbers in
    subjects that are considered hard, but also,*
    that in certain subjects due to the volume of content that needs to be covered modular exams are vital/ a necessity.*

Also, just because older students went through a certain system doesn't mean it's
    the best.*

On the issue of Cambridge this is what I
    found " No official class is assigned to the overall degree issued by the University of Cambridge. Instead, each Part of a Tripos is
    self-contained and you obtain separate results for each one: there is no averaging out for a final degree. You may have heard the phrase "a double first", which means that a first class was achieved in two sets of
    examinations corresponding to two different Parts of Triposes"

Interpret as you wish.
    (Also sorry for the awkward quoting, im on my phone)
    The numbers studying it may have increased, but at the cost of the subject getting easier/less comprehensive. I know from my own experience that courses requiring heavy maths content (I did engineering) are having to spend time during the first year teaching maths that used to be taught at A level.

I'd rather the course be what it's supposed to be and have fewer people studying it than be popular but weak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesGibson)
    Let's not start celebrating until we've got a Labour government in 2015. We just can't trust Tories with our education.
    Labour will not win in 2016. Ed Miliband is not a popular leader. He will be dumped if Labour lose next year. He screwed over his brother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Baelish)
    I dislike him because performance related pay for teachers is utterly stupid and encourages them to compete and backstab to achieve promotions at the expense of others as opposed to paying them an equal amount and getting them to work as a cohesive unit for the good of the children.

People can defend Gove all they like but as a soon to be trainee teacher I am glad he's gone. Good riddance. Not because he made changes but because he is an arrogant man who thinks he has all the answers and is always right - he didn't even listen to teachers and just twisted everything to favour his ideology - he was the purist example of an out of touch politician you could find alongside the likes of Clegg and Harman.

His replacement may be worse, the same or better but if she at least listens she will be one up on Gove from the beginning.
    It's working well at my Mum's school- it means only teachers who are doing well can improve. So many mediocre teachers automatically got a pay rise before and could carry on being mediocre. They shouldn't be treated any different to any other workers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.