Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guren)
    I applogise if it is, but it's from StrengthCamp a very well respected strong bodybuilder on youtube and it has over 1 million views, can you tell me why that advice is wrong? If it is I will correct my ways as well.
    If he wants to become stronger than he should focus his sets on lower reps in the 3-5 range. Higher reps is focused more on endurance/stamina.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    5"8 master race here. None of that lanky business.

In all seriousness since the misc language is annoying me, would be cool if I foam rolled more but I'm way too lazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Takes a very short amount of time, dude; 5-10 minutes is enough to see a difference. Though I spend like 20 minutes with most of that being my VMOs. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'Ello Dave!)
    If he wants to become stronger than he should focus his sets on lower reps in the 3-5 range. Higher reps is focused more on endurance/stamina.
    Fair enough strength camp is focused on stamina then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guren)
    Fair enough strength camp is focused on stamina then?
    Couldn't say, I haven't really watched many of his videos. Although being called 'strengthcamp' I'd assume the focus would be on getting stronger primarily. Low reps is a proven method to achieving that. Nothing wrong with endurance training though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guren)
    I applogise if it is, but it's from StrengthCamp a very well respected strong bodybuilder on youtube and it has over 1 million views, can you tell me why that advice is wrong? If it is I will correct my ways as well.
    The only one I've found with 1mil views does not say to lift light weights at all. It says to lift weights you can get into position and not to ignore the small stabiliser muscles. At no point does he say to not do heavy compound lifts.

Also lol at thinking Elliot Hulse is god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    The only one I've found with 1mil views does not say to lift light weights at all. It says to lift weights you can get into position and not to ignore the small stabiliser muscles. At no point does he say to not do heavy compound lifts.

Also lol at thinking Elliot Hulse is god.
    As another poster has pointed out higher reps focus more on stamina, no point arguing here.

I don't think he is god :rofl: He helps many people, also how big are you compared to him then?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    First of all awesome work miser

Second - fitness is painful for advice at times

Elliot Hulse is not a bodybuilder, he has never competed in it. These days his workouts have that kind of theme but he is a strongman first and foremost having been a state level Oly lifter before.
    His advice for lifting used to be good, lift heavy and often. However hes now a sellout, trying to sell rubbish talking all kinds of crap about bioenergetics, calling himself a king and seemingly as high as a kite.
    Hes lost all his credibility. He has 1 mill subscribers.. This means nothing, look at how many subs Mike Chang has lol

I'm working long hours doing manual labour and I cant sleep.. Can you tell?

Apologies for the rant, King Elliot makes me mad
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)

Elliot Hulse is not a bodybuilder, he has never competed in it. These days his workouts have that kind of theme but he is a strongman first and foremost having been a state level Oly lifter before.
    His advice for lifting used to be good, lift heavy and often. However hes now a sellout, trying to sell rubbish talking all kinds of crap about bioenergetics, calling himself a king and seemingly as high as a kite.
    Hes lost all his credibility. He has 1 mill subscribers.. This means nothing, look at how many subs Mike Chang has lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You mean the red liquid is a lie?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guren)
    Yeah stick to that as well, I just read 35kg and was rather impressed for a beginner haha

On this stretching point that's when I started and grew like 2 inches so I was wondering if it was for height or what? And do you remember how tall you were when you were 18?
    Thanks. I don't stretch to increase height (I've never heard of doing that). I was 6'1 when I was 18 (same as I am now). I stretch to maintain and improve flexibility.

(Original post by 'Ello Dave!)
    I went for a 5x5 programme because it seemed to have a decent balance between strength and hypertrophy. My main goal is to improve my physique but as I'm pretty slim and I don't want to be massive or anything I went for a balanced full body programme.

Thanks buddy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've watched a few of his videos since he had one on vegetarianism but I have to admit the "Yo Elliot!" with intimidating music made me roll my eyes a bit. Haven't watched enough of his videos to make any real judgement on him.

As for finding advice though, I've not had too much trouble I don't think. There's a lot of crap out there but there's a lot of good stuff too. It seems to me that you just have to be careful of getting suckered into believing things that are too fancy - the no-frills stuff seems to be where it's at.

There's a lot of superstition in bodybuilding.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh 95% of your gains will come from just hard work, consistency and not eating like a 10 yr old.

The other 5% will be argued about relentlessly for millions of hours on the exact amount of protein, which routine is most optimal blah blahblah blah blah. People will shurg you off and think you're going to be terrible if you're not eating 200grams of protein a day when at your newby stage you could get away with half of that for 95% of the gains.

Don't worry about it. Until you start slamming into plataeus in about a year then you'll become obsessed with various youtubers giving weird advice.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Tbh 95% of your gains will come from just hard work, consistency and not eating like a 10 yr old.

The other 5% will be argued about relentlessly for millions of hours on the exact amount of protein, which routine is most optimal blah blahblah blah blah. People will shurg you off and think you're going to be terrible if you're not eating 200grams of protein a day when at your newby stage you could get away with half of that for 95% of the gains.

Don't worry about it. Until you start slamming into plataeus in about a year then you'll become obsessed with various youtubers giving weird advice.
    I heard Jason Blaha say something similar to this on the intro video to his channel. He says 90% or more of your potential comes from the (pretty mundane) key points he goes over in the video, and the last 10% at most comes from the frilly extras, tweaking, etc.

Yeah, I'm not interested in doing anything weird or wonderful. I just want to do my programme and eat right. That's plenty enough to deal with for now.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Didn't go to the gym yesterday because I was busy. Will resume as usual on Tuesday.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Hit the gym after work yesterday and had a reasonable workout. Upped my weights again but still calibrating a few of them.

Code:
    Workout A
    Squats			5x5	40kg	Just right
    Bench press		5x5	30kg	Just right
    Bent over row		5x5	30kg	Just right
    Barbell shrugs		3x8	30kg	No problem
    Tricep extensions	3x8	25kg	Ok
    Straight bar		3x8	22.5kg	Too much
    Cable crunches		3x10	25kg	No problem
    Did a couple of 20kg warmup sets on squats, then did my 5x5 at 40kg. I just about managed it, so I'll be adding new weights slowly from here on out. Bench press and bent over row I did fine at 30kg. Barbell shrugs were way too light - I'll up those to 35 or so. Tricep extensions went great - I could've done a little more but not hugely. Straight bar I had upped by 2.5kg on account of managing my reps last week, but it proved too much and I failed on the first rep of my 3rd set. Cable crunches at 25kg were no problem - I'll up to 30kg next time.

I didn't do any back exercises - I'm not really sure what to do about these. My programme says to do hyperextensions but I only have access to a hyperextension bench once a week. My options are either to replace them with another exercise or do them once a week rather than every 4-5 days. Not sure.

Final thing to mention is I managed to injure my ankle slightly. I was taking a weight off the rack and didn't realise there was a dinky 1.25kg weight in front of it, which subsequently fell from about hip height and hit my ankle bone. It cut me and has bruised the bone I think - my ankle complains when I rotate it. Doesn't affect holding weight though so thankfully it shouldn't interrupt my routine.

ReputationRep:
    You won't progress anything like as fast on the isolations (curls/skullcrushers etc) as you will on the big compounds. Don't worry - they're not as important as the compound lifts anyway. Just use them as a way to make your arms work a bit harder at the end.

Try increasing reps on the 20kg bar as an alternative.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    You won't progress anything like as fast on the isolations (curls/skullcrushers etc) as you will on the big compounds. Don't worry - they're not as important as the compound lifts anyway. Just use them as a way to make your arms work a bit harder at the end.

Try increasing reps on the 20kg bar as an alternative.
    Thanks. Ah that makes sense. Yeah I think I'll just max out on 20kg for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Thanks. Ah that makes sense. Yeah I think I'll just max out on 20kg for a while.
    You don't even need to max out - just try to get 9 reps next time. Then once you can do that, 3x10, perhaps working to 3x12 before moving up a weight. Experiment and find out what works for you. Another option is do to 1/2 sets of the higher weight then drop down.

The thing to keep in mind is reasonable progression. 20->22.5 is a 12.5% increase in weight - that's huge, especially for a small and comparatively weak muscle like the biceps.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    You don't even need to max out - just try to get 9 reps next time. Then once you can do that, 3x10, perhaps working to 3x12 before moving up a weight. Experiment and find out what works for you. Another option is do to 1/2 sets of the higher weight then drop down.

The thing to keep in mind is reasonable progression. 20->22.5 is a 12.5% increase in weight - that's huge, especially for a small and comparatively weak muscle like the biceps.
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah I didn't think of it in terms of a 12.5% increase.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Did my workout yesterday evening. Most of my weights are well calibrated to my ability now. Standard 5 minute run for warm up, then a bit of cross trainer to warm down followed by stretching.

Code:
    Workout B
    Squats			5x5	42.5kg	Just right
    Deadlift		1x5	45kg	No problem
    Standing press		5x5	27.5kg	Just right
    Bent over row		5x5	32.5kg	Just right
    Close grip bench press	3x8	22.5kg	Just right
    Straight bar		3x8	20kg	Just right
    Cable crunches		3x10	30kg	No problem
    Squats I might have been able to manage another couple but I don't want to risk failure and potential injury. My squat form could be improved I know since occasionally I think I lean my back too far forwards - now that I have some weight I can feel when my form is weak.

Deadlift I still need to up considerably. At the moment it's a bit difficult because I'm not using the large 20kg weights, so the barbell rests too low on the floor. I used the bottom section of the squat rack to rest it on and lift up from there, but that's a bit higher than it would be if I were doing it from the floor. Because it was still no real problem doing 45kg I think next time I will up it to 60kg so I can do the lift properly from the floor.

Straight bar I was a little disappointed with since I completely maxed out at 3x8 of 20kg - the same as last week. I'll keep it at this weight level for now and see if I can increase to 3x9 over time.

I used a different machine for cable crunches since the only rope handle in the weights room was being used. The cardio room's machine seemed to have weird weight settings - I set it to 30kg, but it seemed really light. I guessed that it was really only 15kg and meant to be used simultaneously with the other half of the machine, so I set it to "60". It still was no problem though. Maybe I'll up to 40kg or something next time and see how I get on with that.

Diet is going pretty well but I haven't eaten exactly stellarly the last two days. Instead of respecting my body I've eaten a tub of Haagen-Dazs and two caramel doughnuts. I also drank ten pints of cider last weekend. But most of the time I've been okay. My typical day currently looks like:
    • Bowl of Just Right cereal with almond milk (275kcal) (1st breakfast)
    • Bowl of porridge (250kcal) (2nd breakfast)
    • Fruit salad (83kcal) (2nd breakfast contd.)
    • Vegetarian wrap (500kcal) (Mid-morning snack)
    • Pasta or bean salad (350kcal) (Lunch)
    • Sandwich or wrap (400kcal) (Lunch contd.)
    • Kellogg's Golden Oat Bake bar (200kcal) (Mid-afternoon snack)
    • Beans on toast/PB&J/stir fry/whatever (800kcal) (Dinner)
    • Yoghurt (360kcal) (Before bed if I need to top up)

I'd like to do more to make my own food to save money. Now that I'm hitting my calorie and macro targets I think making more of my own food should be my next target.

I've been averaging over 3k kcals a day for the past two weeks but I haven't seen any noticeable change on the scales yet. I'll stick at it for a while longer and hopefully see some gains, otherwise I will have to consider upping to 3,500 kcal.

ReputationRep:
    One of us. One of us...

The transition has begun.

The day you set foot in the gym is the day you became forever small.
    or the day natty progress ends

ReputationRep:
    Vid of squats please.

You want to get a good form check now as it's easier to fix things now then get up to heavy weight and have to drop back and sort them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.