Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite foods/drinks that you can't get in this country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    Salty Watermelon :erm: Not sure what scares me more, the fact that it's Watermelon (which I can't stand ) or the salty element

Although thinking about it, it's like when you have salted caramel in that the salt can really compliment the sweet flavour in my opinion :yep:
    I tried it with trepidation, but was pleasantly surprised.

This stuff is godsend in the Japanese summer when it's over 35 degrees and 154% humidity.

ReputationRep:

POFFERTJES! And the proper ingredients to make them, every time I go back to the UK I'm depressed that nobody sells pans for these and that the sugar there doesn't really result in great ones :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Don't get too excited about the British sour patch kids. They aren't sour at all just sweet. A friend got me a packet, it was hilarious what passes for "sour" in Britain.
    I was so happy over this! I still do want to try them though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    And in Spain, they sell Romano pizza - olives, ham and mushrooms. The entire pizza is amazing. You can't even get that quality in the UK with M&S!

And the pasta sauces - holy **** - the pasta sauces. Bolognese is really rich in flavour and so sweet in Spain, France and Italy. The pasta sauces in the UK are bland in comparison.
    Yes, supermarket pizza in southern Europe is so much better than here in the UK!!!

And I agree about the pasta sauces as well, like you, I don't remember the brand.

ReputationRep:
    A good bubble tea.

ReputationRep:
    America:
    - Pepperidge Farm Ginger Man Cookies
    - Pepperidge Farm Snickerdoodle
    - Premium McWrap with Crispy Chicken and Ranch Sauce
    - McDonald's Ranch Dip
    - Cake Batter Frozen Yoghurt
    - Saltines

France:
    - Strawberry Yoghurt Mentos

Spain:
    - Banana Oreos

ReputationRep:
    Bimbo bread!

Not only did it taste good but it's brand name is bimbo :lol:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)

POFFERTJES! And the proper ingredients to make them, every time I go back to the UK I'm depressed that nobody sells pans for these and that the sugar there doesn't really result in great ones :/
    These are dutch? They seem vaguely familiar but I can't place them, what are they made of?

ReputationRep:
    Reese's Puffs (I can get them in a shop near me that sells imported stuff but refuse to pay £8 for a box of cereal)
    Twizzlers (bought them from said shop but they were ridiculously expensive)
    Cheez-its
    American ice cream
    Cookie dough Oreos
    Peanut butter Oreos
    Moon Pies

I miss America

ReputationRep:
    So, I've been to America plenty of times, and loooove American food, I know it's not too hard to get it over here as there are a lot of American sweet shops, but it's so expensive :/
    -Basically almost anything with cookie dough,
    -Grape flavoured sweets/jam,
    -Oreo ice cream cake things were nice,
    -COOLWHIP, Aaaah,
    -Fruit Loops (they did sell them at TESCO, no idea if they're still there, hopefully!),

I went to Denmark and Sweden once, and a few foods from there I'd love to see
    -Bilar, some Swedish sweets in the shape of cars,
    -Kæmpe Pålægschokolade, some Danish chocolates, but they're like really thin sheets and taste AWSOME,
    -Chocolate Salmiakki from Finland, Salmiakki is a really salty licourice and tastes kinda icky, but I like it with chocolate for some reason,

Most likely I'm missing out on like 99% of my favourite foreign foods, but these were the first things that came to my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Fantas are so much better in other countries! @yep:

Which other kltkats were other?
    Seems to be the trend on this thread!

There's so many it's crazy - I think around 200+ now? I tried the green tea (amazing), strawberry (amazing) and wasabi (not so amazing...), but I'm pretty sure there's stuff like pear, black tea, ginger ale, soy sauce...! One of the things I miss the most about Japan, haha.

(Original post by Larissa14)
    You can get grape fanta from American candy shops in the cities or if you can't find it try welchs spalling grape juice . They taste the same and sooooooo good
    Oh really? I've had the grape juice, which is pretty good to be fair. I'll have to investigate the Fanta. :holmes: Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDaylighter)
    These are dutch? They seem vaguely familiar but I can't place them, what are they made of?
    Yep, they're Dutch! There's a ton of ways to make them, I believe the most common is eggs, flour and milk (sometimes sugar too) but I exchange the eggs for brown sugar due to allergies. They taste great!

ReputationRep:
    Fernandes Fizzy drink :3 , addicted to it when i was in The Netherlands.

ReputationRep:
    Rage...

Walked 10 minutes in the very hot Brighton sun to Cyber Candy. No pineapple fanta.

They had no Fanta pineapple.

They had pepsi Wild cherry but it's not worth the £1.49 if it's not Fanta pineapple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWCW)
    Seems to be the trend on this thread!

There's so many it's crazy - I think around 200+ now? I tried the green tea (amazing), strawberry (amazing) and wasabi (not so amazing...), but I'm pretty sure there's stuff like pear, black tea, ginger ale, soy sauce...! One of the things I miss the most about Japan, haha.

:O My god that's crazy! Japan sounds like the most awesome place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumblebee342)
    Reese's Puffs (I can get them in a shop near me that sells imported stuff but refuse to pay £8 for a box of cereal)
    Twizzlers (bought them from said shop but they were ridiculously expensive)
    Cheez-its
    American ice cream
    Cookie dough Oreos
    Peanut butter Oreos
    Moon Pies

I miss America
    If you have a b&m bargains shops near you they sell twizzlers for like £1.99 per foot lol. It's like a rope and it's huge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Salty Watermelon! This stuff is legit. And really refreshing. Tastes exactly like the name. It really is the refreshing taste of summer.

Is this stuff fizzy? Sounds yum,love watermelon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larissa14)
    Is this stuff fizzy? Sounds yum,love watermelon
    Yes, it's fizzy, IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    there is a good bubble tea place in Reading btw .. called Hii-Tea (it's quite sweet but really really good)

ReputationRep:
    This thread is making me so hungry

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.