Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    The inference here is that you're not as pretty or fit as Sophie.

Just thought I'd clarify.
    Me being in the car and just observing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I'm not sure myself, though I know quite a few female engineers.
    In my family anyway the women do better then the men haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mequa)
    As a female you can display tears and be faced with sympathy rather than contempt. A man would be more likely to be expected to be more Teflon-like.
    Agree with this. As a man, the pressure to remain slippery and heat-resistant can be overwhelming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    In my family anyway the women do better then the men haha.
    The women in my family are the only ones who went to university (excluding my dad).

ReputationRep:
    What a load of *******s. Men are far more likely to be the victim of a violent crime. Yet I have never feared that I cannot leave the house on my own in case I become a victim.

This is nothing but paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    The sad thing is I'm not exaggerating.
    Yes you are. Are you telling me that every time you've been 'sexually assaulted' (which I'm guessing means a man putting his hand on your arm :rolleyes: ) you've noted it down and worked out that percentage from the total number of times you've been to a club?

And no, because the majority of people on the road are:
    (a) married with a family
    (b) females
    (c) have children in the car
    (d) old
    (e) males who don't catcall
    Only a small proportion of people on the road are young (and stupid) and stupid males who have the tendency to catcall. So you're telling me that 1 in every 2 times you step onto the street there just happens to be a male that passes you who has the tendacy to catcall, even though they make up less than 5-10% of people on the road.

As I said, overexaggeration.

ReputationRep:
    The women in my family are the only ones who went to university (excluding my dad).
    Its the same story in mine one in a bank manager and the other is a biochemist, the guys are just like working normal non grad jobs even one on the doll. But I will be the first in my family to go to university and complete it.

ReputationRep:
    At least women are more likely to succeed in education. Young men have been abandoned in modern schools. It's difficult to get men through high school, let alone into university. No education = a life of crime/low wages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    Being female is only crap if you're ugly
    Hear hear

To date, I have never been fancied. Sad but true xD
    It does have it's perks though- I've never been catcalled. I have, however, had creepy stares at my boobs. I guess my boobs are just more attractive than my face xD

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the drama around cat-calling. It's mildly annoying but hardly a big deal.

I personally love being a girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    Yes you are. Are you telling me that every time you've been 'sexually assaulted' (which I'm guessing means a man putting his hand on your arm :rolleyes: ) you've noted it down and worked out that percentage from the total number of times you've been to a club?

And no, because the majority of people on the road are:
    (a) married with a family
    (b) females
    (c) have children in the car
    (d) old
    (e) males who don't catcall
    Only a small proportion of people on the road are young (and stupid) and stupid males who have the tendency to catcall. So you're telling me that 1 in every 2 times you step onto the street there just happens to be a male that passes you who has the tendacy to catcall, even though they make up less than 5-10% of people on the road.

As I said, overexaggeration.
    Just to clarify you have been pedantic in that I did not mathematically assess my percentages (They were guesses of what percentage I think they). And then you made up your own percentage of what is the amount of people likely to catcall? Just checking I've gotten that right.

A touch on the arm is not sexual assault, I am not that silly. I have had my ass grabbed and pinched in clubs, I have had men grab at my chest, I've had my arse slapped, I had one guy back me in the corner and try to force me to kiss him, I've had men grab me by the waist and try to dance with them when I have been dancing with my backs turned to them with my friends. The majority of times I go clubbing I will at least have my arse grabbed (and I don't mean a graze of a hand on the arse, I mean a full on "juicy grab") or I will get slapped on the arse at the least.

Also you seem to think just because someone is old or married they are some how never going to catcall or behave in this manner.

Also it's important to take into account the area, I live in an impoverished area where the majority of the time there are teenagers and early twenties aged men often hanging around the street so it's hardly surprising this behaviour may happen more where I live than say a nice middle class area.
    I probably should have also mentioned in my original post that the stuff that happens on the street only happens when I'm on my own, so that cuts down the perceived amount that it happen. I rarely go out on my own now though so it doesn't happen as much any more.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify you have been pedantic in that I did not mathematically assess my percentages (They were guesses of what percentage I think they). And then you made up your own percentage of what is the amount of people likely to catcall? Just checking I've gotten that right.

A touch on the arm is not sexual assault, I am not that silly. I have had my ass grabbed and pinched in clubs, I have had men grab at my chest, I've had my arse slapped, I had one guy back me in the corner and try to force me to kiss him, I've had men grab me by the waist and try to dance with them when I have been dancing with my backs turned to them with my friends. The majority of times I go clubbing I will at least have my arse grabbed (and I don't mean a graze of a hand on the arse, I mean a full on "juicy grab") or I will get slapped on the arse at the least.

Also you seem to think just because someone is old or married they are some how never going to catcall or behave in this manner.

Also it's important to take into account the area, I live in an impoverished area when the majority of the time their are teenagers and early twenty year old men often hanging around the street so it's hardly surprising this behaviour may happen more where I live than say a nice middle class area.
    I probably should have also mentioned in my original post that the stuff that happens on the street only happens when I'm on my own, so that cuts down the perceived amount that it happen. I rarely go out on my own now though so it doesn't happen as much any more.
    No, not made up. Educated guesses from my observations. But then again, I guess that was what your percentages were too.

Just checking. Some people seem to think a touch on the arm is sexual harrassment. Good gosh, has that seriously happened to you? Are you really attractive?

You are almost never going to see an 80 something year old screaming 'show us your tits, darling' out of a car window. And by married, I meant men that have their partner in the car.

Wait, where do you live? If it's London, that makes a hell of a lot more sense. As I live in Oxford, I was going by what I see around me which would explain why I thought it was over-exaggerated. I've only seen one incident of catcalling here and the guy was then told to shut the **** up by numerous people passing by and subjected to several death glares. Someone even threatened to call the police. Never seen somebody drive off so fast :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    No, not made up. Educated guesses from my observations. But then again, I guess that was what your percentages were too.

Just checking. Some people seem to think a touch on the arm is sexual harrassment. Good gosh, has that seriously happened to you? Are you really attractive?

You are almost never going to see an 80 something year old screaming 'show us your tits, darling' out of a car window. And by married, I meant men that have their partner in the car.

Wait, where do you live? If it's London, that makes a hell of a lot more sense. As I live in Oxford, I was going by what I see around me which would explain why I thought it was over-exaggerated. I've only seen one incident of catcalling here and the guy was then told to shut the **** up by numerous people passing by and subjected to several death glares. Someone even threatened to call the police. Never seen somebody drive off so fast :lol:
    It's okay I understand that some women will scream sexual assault at the most stupid thing.

I wouldn't say I'm really attractive, maybe average attractive though the guys in the clubs have their beer goggles on so I suppose I could end up looking better than I am. But yes unfortunately all those things have happened to me, it's really unfortunate that this happens as well because it gives men a bad name and I know not all men would do things like that.

I also hate it because it scares me, I was walking back to my flat a few weeks ago and a man was following me and kept asking for my number, when I politely declined he kept questioning why until he basically got to my front door and I just kind of ran into my flat, was horrible. It is really scary when this stuff happens when you're alone.

Phaha I know most old men wouldn't do it, though I have had a creepy comment on the street in the past once by a man who I guess was around 60-65. But that only happened once, again I was alone.

I live in the NorthWest of England, these things have happened to me in Liverpool, Rock Ferry and Birkenhead. the latter two being quite rough areas.

I'm glad that man got shouted at

Being female is fine. Too many women don't know how to take advantage of it.

A few flashes of your tits and you can get whatever you want. If you don't want to work, be a gold digger and live a life of luxury!

ReputationRep:
      Pfft. It's not all bad. I love being female...

The grass is always greener OP.Males probably face different pressures and issues. You don't necessarily have to have a child and even if you do you can go back to the gym and shape up. Also why can't you just be single? Just because you have a vagina that does mean you can't be single...

ReputationRep:
      Does your university offer grants specifically for females? Because that's not right at all :/
      #feminism #equality

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ChickenMadness)
      #feminism #equality
      Phaha :') naw it really annoys me though, no one should get something just because of their gender.

ReputationRep:
      LOL, being a female is crap.

Try being a minority female (black/Asian) and then you will know what crap is.

White women have so much privaledge, I don't even know why they complain, you are literally the epitome of beauty to society.

ReputationRep:
      It's okay I understand that some women will scream sexual assault at the most stupid thing.

I wouldn't say I'm really attractive, maybe average attractive though the guys in the clubs have their beer goggles on so I suppose I could end up looking better than I am. But yes unfortunately all those things have happened to me, it's really unfortunate that this happens as well because it gives men a bad name and I know not all men would do things like that.

I also hate it because it scares me, I was walking back to my flat a few weeks ago and a man was following me and kept asking for my number, when I politely declined he kept questioning why until he basically got to my front door and I just kind of ran into my flat, was horrible. It is really scary when this stuff happens when you're alone.

Phaha I know most old men wouldn't do it, though I have had a creepy comment on the street in the past once by a man who I guess was around 60-65. But that only happened once, again I was alone.

I live in the NorthWest of England, these things have happened to me in Liverpool, Rock Ferry and Birkenhead. the latter two being quite rough areas.

I'm glad that man got shouted at
      Well, I'm sorry for incorrectly assuming that you were overexaggerating. I really did think stuff like that didn't happen much anymore, but this has just shown me how wrong I was. Jeez, you must be traumatised :/

ReputationRep:
      I love being male. The best thing about being a white male is that you can forget about your race and your gender and just get on with life, because it's all designed for you.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.