The Student Room Group

Is 50 cent the best rapper ever

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jabire3
Listen up. 50 Cent is good. But, he isn't in the same league as Eminems, Jay Z etc.

Beside his first two albums under Shady/Aftermath, he's been nothing special. He last song that was good was My Life - but that was because of Eminem who featured, he took over the song and made it enjoyable.

That is why Eminem for me is the greatest of all time in Hip Hop. Think about it. Let's start with his 50 Cent collaborations.

1. Patiently Waiting - let's be honest, people remember that song because of Eminem. His flow and pace is perfect.

2. Don't Push Me - Eminem doesn't rap often about guns, but he did here and was way better than 50 and Lloyd Banks (who also featured).

3. Love Me - off the 8 Mile Soundtrack, Eminem destroyed that song. It was his, no one remembers 50 or Obie's verse.

4. Jimmy Crack Corn - massively underrated track, 50 tries to get a flow, but can't, Eminem once again takes it to another level.

The story is the same on You Don't Know and Crack a Bottle (even Dre beat 50 on that).

Eminem, lyrically "renegaded" Jay Z on his own track. The song Renegade on Blueprint was originally a Eminem and Royce track, but it became Jay Z's. Nas said it himself, Jay "got destroyed on his own ****". It is fit for me, the best Hip Hop song of all time.

Eminem quite literally shredded Benzino and and Ja Rule. Songs like "The Sauce" and "Do Rae Me" show this, he shreds rappers. The Source's reputation went downhill. Like Em said to Benzino, "you've got to stay up till three in the morning see your video played once on BET".

I won't go into others, but Canibus, Insane Clown Posse are others he tore apart. Don't forget Mariah and Christina. If any other artist mentioned either, they would be ridiculed. But Eminem did it in a way that was funny yet true at the same time.

Lyrically, he's miles ahead. Whether it be Brain Damage on SSLP or Rap God on MMLP2, he's lyrically miles ahead. Other rappers have said the many times.

Plus, he originated from Underground Rap. Rap Battles on YouTube before he was famous showed he took others apart, that's how Dre found him.

Go listen to songs such as No Apologies, Yellow Brick Road, (his verse on) Fight Music and Revelation. Incredible.

Oh, and for those saying Wayne and Drake. Go listen to Forever, tell me who's better lmao..

REPPED

Great post, great analysis. I totally agree with the tracks you listed. I can't deny that Eminem is the best rapper of all time hands down. Jimmy Crack Corn is hugely underrated, Eminem murders that track. And Doe Rae Me...great track. Em's diss tracks against Benzino and Ja rule are so raw, so sick. His best rapping is when he's at his angriest, I think.

And Eminem completely murders Drake and Wayne with his flow on Forever. People were like "Oh, Em fell off, he sucks now"...the verse he delivered on Forever is simply masterful. Em at his very best.

Lots of rappers tried to battle Eminem and compete with his, but he wiped the floor with every single person who tried to claim they were better than him. As much as I like Canibus (Mic Club is an amazing album, but the rest of his stuff is weak), I felt sorry for him when Em completely destroyed him with the diss tracks.
Original post by Orange s0da
Men lie, Women lie, Numbers don't lie. How many of your favourite rappers have a diamond selling album?

If you're judging a rappers quality by the amount of albums sold, you sir... Are a fool. Basically by such nonsense logic, Tyga is a better rapper than J Cole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by Wilfred Little
Then you need to listen to Infinite. If you still don't think he copies Nas after that (and you've heard Illmatic) I don't know what to say; he even admitted it himself.

It's uncanny.

Infinite is a great album, I've listened to it extensively. I've also listened to Illmatic extensively, decent album. To be honest, I just do not understand how people can pick up on this similarity between Em and Nas in terms of their flow. You can say that all rap sounds the same. After all, people don't sing rap. With so many rappers out there, you can't possibly expect every single rapper to sound differently from everyone else! Maybe I'm not a very attentive listener, but I honestly can't say that Em and Nas sound very similar. The two albums are very different for me, I never regarded them as being particularly similar, and I've listened to both of them extensively.
Nope not even close 2pac, biggie, ice cube NWA eminem all better than him
I think Biggie, 2pac, Outkast, Foxy brown/Lil kim, Wu Tang (especially ODB), Ice Cube and early Dre+Snoop are some of the best. From a while back anyways. Obviously there's a lot more new and old rappers that I like as well as them, but I probably respect their music more. A lot of new rappers I just literally like cos of the way they sound, their flow, the sound of their music kinda thing, not anything that deep behind it, or some I like their creativity and how different they are. I'll listen to a lot of old stuff but at the same time I'll maybe listen to A$AP Mob, Chance the Rapper, Yung Lean, Sage the Gemini etc. I don't have a problem with new stuff cos sometimes it just sounds good. 50 is good not the best tho by a long long shot, I could think of so many better rappers before 50, doesn't mean I don't like -some- of his songs though. (Prefer G-Unit).
(edited 9 years ago)
Yh old snoop gin and juice who am I etc now look at the music he is making....
Original post by Stinkum
REPPED

Great post, great analysis. I totally agree with the tracks you listed. I can't deny that Eminem is the best rapper of all time hands down. Jimmy Crack Corn is hugely underrated, Eminem murders that track. And Doe Rae Me...great track. Em's diss tracks against Benzino and Ja rule are so raw, so sick. His best rapping is when he's at his angriest, I think.

And Eminem completely murders Drake and Wayne with his flow on Forever. People were like "Oh, Em fell off, he sucks now"...the verse he delivered on Forever is simply masterful. Em at his very best.

Lots of rappers tried to battle Eminem and compete with his, but he wiped the floor with every single person who tried to claim they were better than him. As much as I like Canibus (Mic Club is an amazing album, but the rest of his stuff is weak), I felt sorry for him when Em completely destroyed him with the diss tracks.

True, his Diss song "Canibitch" was just amazing.

Loads of people say Encore was rubbish etc. Not true, they base the album on Just Lose It, Big Weenie, My 1st Single. Three of four bad tracks, the album for me was fine. Evil Deeds, Like Toy Soldiers, Yellow Brick Road, Mockingbird, Encore (the single) etc.

Relapse was a bit off though - still, it produced Beautiful, one of his best to this day and Underground, another underrated track. On Relapse:Refill, Music Box and Elevator were also very good.

People tend to forget D12 - My Band I think reached the top five in the UK. Others like Revelation, Fight Music, When The Music Stops are just dope. I could go on forever lol...
Original post by CallMeJay
If you're judging a rappers quality by the amount of albums sold, you sir... Are a fool. Basically by such nonsense logic, Tyga is a better rapper than J Cole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

J Cole has lyrics with more meaning behind them but I would definitely rather listen to Tyga he has way better flow and a better sound which means I can get into his music more. :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Stinkum
Infinite is a great album, I've listened to it extensively. I've also listened to Illmatic extensively, decent album. To be honest, I just do not understand how people can pick up on this similarity between Em and Nas in terms of their flow. You can say that all rap sounds the same. After all, people don't sing rap. With so many rappers out there, you can't possibly expect every single rapper to sound differently from everyone else! Maybe I'm not a very attentive listener, but I honestly can't say that Em and Nas sound very similar. The two albums are very different for me, I never regarded them as being particularly similar, and I've listened to both of them extensively.

I'm not talking about the sound of the song, the tracks are not really similar, I'm talking about his flow and delivery. It's very similar to Nas and also to AZ. Here is what the great man himself had to say about it:

Obviously, I was young and influenced by other artists, and I got a lot of feedback saying that I sounded like AZ. Infinite was me trying to figure out how I wanted my rap style to be, how I wanted to sound on the mic and present myself. It was a growing stage. I felt like Infinite was like a demo that just got pressed up.

He doesn't care. It wasn't until Infinite flopped and he hit rock bottom that he came back as Slim Shady and discovered some originality.

I like the album, but you can't be serious if you don't detect some Nas and AZ in his rapping style on that album.
Original post by Stinkum

Infinite was a cool album, decent tracks, dreadful production. Also, so what if he used Nas' style at the start. You have to start somewhere and now he has his own which other people use. Nas is also very very good, but Eminem is better for me.

Put it this way, he managed to outdo Busta on a stage.

Name a track he is on with other artist that Eminem got outdone. Can't think if one..
Original post by CallMeJay

Posted from TSR Mobile

What tyga album has outsold cole world or born sinner?
Original post by Mubariz

And as such em is better than 50
I don't know why but I've never really -liked- Eminem's music compared to other artists I like. I don't think it's bad I just find his flow kinda annoying after a while. Like I feel I can't sit and listen to his songs and be like, yeah I enjoyed that. I appreciate he's original and stuff not saying he's not or he's not a big rapper but yeah. That's just how I feel. :angelblush:
Reply 73
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'm not talking about the sound of the song, the tracks are not really similar, I'm talking about his flow and delivery. It's very similar to Nas and also to AZ. Here is what the great man himself had to say about it:

He doesn't care. It wasn't until Infinite flopped and he hit rock bottom that he came back as Slim Shady and discovered some originality.

I like the album, but you can't be serious if you don't detect some Nas and AZ in his rapping style on that album.

I must have completely missed something really obvious then. Because to me, the two albums sound different. Obviously, I was referring to the flow delivery as well myself instead of the actual tracks. My favourite tracks are Maxine and Jealousy Woes and 313...and to me, they sound completely different from Represent, the world is yours and one love. Never been a huge fan of Illmatic, it's alright but I think it's extremely overrated, it gets way too much credit while Infinite doesn't seem to be very highly regarded among rap listeners. Anyway, yeah...perhaps different people experience albums in different ways.
Reply 74
GOAT: 2 pac and Biggie smalls
Original post by Stinkum
I must have completely missed something really obvious then. Because to me, the two albums sound different. Obviously, I was referring to the flow delivery as well myself instead of the actual tracks. My favourite tracks are Maxine and Jealousy Woes and 313...and to me, they sound completely different from Represent, the world is yours and one love. Never been a huge fan of Illmatic, it's alright but I think it's extremely overrated, it gets way too much credit while Infinite doesn't seem to be very highly regarded among rap listeners. Anyway, yeah...perhaps different people experience albums in different ways.

We will agree to disagree then, makes a change to end a music discussion on amicably.

I have to say though, Illmatic is flawless and in most Hip-Hop connoisseurs' top 5 for a reason.

Original post by Mrnelson
GOAT: 2 pac and Biggie smalls

Na Andre is.
It doesn't matter how many platinum albums they have, how many awards they have collecting dust on the shelves...ultimately, it's down to personal taste.

I prefer MIA myself.
Bugz, mobb deep, The game, Nas, are also much better, however 2pac shredded mobb deep in hit me up
"Since I'm in a position to talk to these kids and they listen
I ain't no politician but I'll kick it within a minute
Cause see, they call me a menace and if the shoe fits I'll wear it
But if it don't, then ya'll swallow the truth grin and bear it
Now who's the king of these rude ludicrous lucrative lyrics?
Who could inherit the title, put the youth in hysterics?
Using his music to steer it sharing his views and his merits
But there's a huge interference, they're saying, "You shouldn't hear it."
Maybe it's hatred I spew, maybe it's food for the spirit
Maybe it's beautiful music I made for you to just cherish
But I'm debated, disputed, hated and viewed in America
as a mother****ing drug addict like you didn't experiment?
Now now, that's when you start to stare at who's in the mirror
and see yourself as a kid again, and you get embarrassed
And I got nothing to do but make you look stupid as parents
You ****ing do-gooders - too bad you couldn't DO-GOOD at marriage!
And do you have any clue what I had to do to get here I don't
think you do so stay tuned and keep your ears glued to the stereo
Cause here we go, he's {Jigga durra Jigga da chk Jigga}
And I'm the sinister, Mr. Kiss-My-Ass it's just the.."

My my....
Reply 79
Original post by jabire3
True, his Diss song "Canibitch" was just amazing.

Loads of people say Encore was rubbish etc. Not true, they base the album on Just Lose It, Big Weenie, My 1st Single. Three of four bad tracks, the album for me was fine. Evil Deeds, Like Toy Soldiers, Yellow Brick Road, Mockingbird, Encore (the single) etc.

Relapse was a bit off though - still, it produced Beautiful, one of his best to this day and Underground, another underrated track. On Relapse:Refill, Music Box and Elevator were also very good.

People tend to forget D12 - My Band I think reached the top five in the UK. Others like Revelation, Fight Music, When The Music Stops are just dope. I could go on forever lol...

I seem to be in a small minority because I really liked Relapse a lot (and Refill was epic). For a few days, I thought it was odd and weird, completely different from his usual style. But slowly it grew on me, I definitely think it's a decent album. Quite weird, even for Eminem, but a good album nevertheless.

Don't get me started on D12. I'm the biggest D12 fanboy I know. I've been listening to them for years. I've heard every single album of theirs, including the underground EP (their very first album, great stuff on there, back when they had Bugz and Eye Kyu) and the more recent Return of the Dozen vols 1 & 2 mixtapes. I think D12 are absolutely amazing, by far my favourite rap group.

Quick Reply

Latest