Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tesco workers refuse to sell Ham & Wine during Ramadan Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece Sure)
    However, to all the people expecting the guy serving to just disregard his closely held beliefs for some **** wage are somewhat delusional at best.
    Well we do expect racists and homophobes to disregard their closely held beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    I did. And yes I've seen my fair share of whiny customers, but a customer complaining because they weren't served by someone whose only job is to serve them is fair enough. What if you went to a restaurant, and the waiter refused to take an order for half of the menu?

Ask one of the other waiters???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvey Dent)
    I was always taught that, in a debate, that the first person to resort to expletives has admitted defeat.
    Have they ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    wow so clever

There's a reason you work in a shop for a living.

I don't. I'm a student. I work in a shop for beer money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange crush)
    I don't. I'm a student. I work in a shop for beer money
    Doesn't change the fact that it was a **** comeback. What do you study?

ReputationRep:
    Ask one of the other waiters???
    That's a ridiculous attitude. Why would an employer pay someone to do nothing

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't change the fact that it was a **** comeback. What do you study?
    Mathematics

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics
    Where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    That's a ridiculous attitude. Why would an employer pay someone to do nothing

Erm, they wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvey Dent)
    Whether he loves the job or not is absolutely irrelevant, as is his circumstances. If you're unfit for the job then you shouldn't be in it.
    The supervisor on shift is responsible for ensuring that his or her employees are adequate, capable and willing to do a job. Whether this is corrected with a verbal warning, a quiet word or even logically just assigning the employee to one of the many other roles (maybe the meat counter?), it is their responsibility to do so. This is, by all intents and purposes, a failure of man management..

ReputationRep:
    Where?

Not saying for certain, but it's a mid-ranking university.

ReputationRep:
    Not saying for certain, but it's a mid-ranking university.
    Wow I study mathematics at a high-ranking university. Things were going badly for a while, but now I'm considering a PhD and a good career. Perhaps I should eat you, since you're lower down than me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    So why has this conveniently not happened before? Why would anyone choose to work somewhere which involves touching things he "isn't permitted" to. Why is that it is ramadam of any relevance?
    Maybe it has happened before and nobody complained. Perhaps this guy converted to islam after he got the job and was getting by until he finds a job that poses no problems with his religion. We don't know enough to comment.

Ramadan is of no relevance, unless the guy decides to turn muslim during the month of ramadan which could help explain why it may not have happened before. People like this actually do exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Erm, they wouldn't.
    Exactly. So if you break your employment contract you get the boot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Well we do expect racists and homophobes to disregard their closely held beliefs.
    What a preposterous comparison. When have we ever lynched anyone for handling meat?

ReputationRep:
    Btw, if I had waited in line (perhaps in a busy supermarket) waiting to be served at the till and then was told that I had to queue up AGAIN at the self-service till (which I LOATHE using, just like John Watson/Martin Freeman in 'Sherlock') then I as a customer would probably be somewhat upset. I don't believe that the customer is in the wrong in this instance, although I do acknowledge that the customer isn't ALWAYS right.

Also, I work in a small department and a new colleague joined us this year, who is Muslim. I and my other colleagues have offered what help we can to make Ramadan as easy for her as possible - a quiet office to use rather than have to go into our crowded coffee room at breaks or the use of the same office and a few extra minutes for her to pray at times during the day.

If the employee had discussed any such problems in advance with their supervisors I am sure that some accommodation would have been offered in respect to their beliefs and practices at this time.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I study mathematics at a high-ranking university. Things were going badly for a while, but now I'm considering a PhD and a good career. Perhaps I should eat you, since you're lower down than me?

Away and do your phD, eat me if you like

ReputationRep:
    One half of this is people being unnecessarily problematic when they can just use a self serving till. There comes a point when you're just being a ****.

The other half is setting a dangerous precedent where we have to tiptoe around Muslim beliefs. I personally am not bothered if your religion prohibits Ham and wine, you should serve me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If he refused to serve wine and ham full stop, then he shouldn't be working in a supermarket. But if its just for one month, couldn't they just transfer him to another department or something?

ReputationRep:
    What a preposterous comparison.
    Why?

When have we ever lynched anyone for handling meat?
    Not sure what your point is?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.