Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why don't or wouldn't you vote? Watch

• View Poll Results: Why don't/wouldn't you vote?
    I do vote (please state why)
    65.52%
    It doesn't interest me
    5.17%
    I don't care about who wins
    6.03%
    I can't choose - there's more than 1 party I like
    2.59%
    I don't know enough about their policies
    4.31%
    I don't think my vote will make a difference
    17.24%
    I can't be bothered
    9.48%
    Other (please state)
    10.34%

ReputationRep:
    I only vote because the whole family does postal votes.. Otherwise I wouldn't bother

ReputationRep:
    I will vote for the party that seems the least evil at the time(only the top 3 otherwise I'm wasting the vote). People gave their lives to preserve the democratic society we live in so i feel i must honour them by voting.

ReputationRep:
    I will vote.I will probably vote UKIP. However i fear this will split the right wing vote too much. I do not want Labour to win at all. I would much rather that the Conservatives maintained power. I would like UKIP to gain a few MPs - i think Farage would be a force to be reckoned with inside the chamber, but i also want Conservatives to hold a majority.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruitker)
    I will vote.I will probably vote UKIP. However i fear this will split the right wing vote too much. I do not want Labour to win at all. I would much rather that the Conservatives maintained power. I would like UKIP to gain a few MPs - i think Farage would be a force to be reckoned with inside the chamber, but i also want Conservatives to hold a majority.
    I think, in your position, the most logical thing would be: if the seat is safe for either party, vote UKIP, add an extra vote to their tally, if it's a constituency where it is likely to be close, vote tory, after all, that one vote might make the difference. And I think a lot of people should apply this sort of logic, but don't, I should think there are people in safe seats who go along the lines of "UKIP will never win, Tory is next best thing and can, so I will vote for them" which is unlikely to be a bad thing if the Tory majority is great enough, they will likely keep their seat, if not it would go to UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    No because Russell Brand told me not to.

ReputationRep:
    I vote for various reasons:

1. Emmeline Pankhurst and the Suffragettes did not campaign and die for women to gain the right to vote.
    2. I care for this country - its my home after all.
    3. As part of Generation Y; I feel it's my responsibility to vote and change how the UK is run for when some of Generation Z (the youngsters born into millennial years.) turn eighteen. If I don't, it'll have a knock on effect to the younger generations.
    4. It's part of my duty as a *ahem* responsible adult.

What annoys me about the non-voters is that they moaned when the wrong party gets elected; take UKIP for instance in this years election. People whined they got elected but did they vote? No.

The way I see voting is that it is its your political voice but without voting, you don't get that voice and without that voice you can't state your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    I've voted in every election I've been eligible for. Because I care who runs the country.

Anyone who thinks it's all just the same regardless of who is in power is depressingly ill-informed/over-simplifying it/quoting taxi driver platitudes because they don't know better, but I suppose it's good that they don't vote in that case. It makes a huge difference who is in power.

Whether an individual voter makes much difference obviously depends where you live, but even if you're a Tory in Hackney or a Labour voter in Richmond, if everyone just flops over and decides they can't change anything, oddly enough nothing changes. Probably won't change anyway, but at least give it a go. I live in a safe Conservative seat (11,000 majority last time) but the Lib Dems came within a few thousand votes a couple of years back.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure.

I'd only vote Greens (or vote blank) with the current selection of parties and that won't do jack **** so...

If only all the non-voters teamed up and voted blank... *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyTractor)
    UKIP is full of lazy, racist, homophobic, sexist, corrupt scoundrels - just like the LibLabCon parties really.

But UKIP have no solid or insightful policies that would realistically benefit the majority in future. They are also manipulating the ignorant working classes into thinking EU membership is the cause of all our troubles.

I hate to say it, but I'm forced to vote for the Green Party unless Ed Milliband gets his act together and starts acting like a potential prime minister.
    You know what they say, if you can't argue on politics, argue on personalities.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KindofGood)
    You know what they say, if you can't argue on politics, argue on personalities.
    In terms of politics, do you want to offer a reason why Labour/UKIP aren't as awful, mismanaged, corrupt and useless as I've described them? Do you not understand the value of personalities in politics at all?

ReputationRep:
    To people moaning that political parties are London centric. Of course they are. 1/6 people live in it and the surrounding counties and if you want to live in a city in the UK it's the only one worth living in. The only reason you would live in a city that isn't London is because you can't afford to live in london. Best city in Europe, possibly the world, the source of most of the economic ability of the UK, and possesses the most enlightened and intelligent people in the UK, taking the best people from all over the UK and putting them in one place.

Politics is London centric because London is the only place worth caring about.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your responses! Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I do vote, but I also think that if people aren't educated enough or don't care, it's safer for them to not vote than to vote arbitrarily for someone whose name they recognized etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewWithHashtags.)
    Please help - I'm trying to get some feedback from university students about why you don't or wouldn't vote in the general/local/etc elections. Please explain your reasoning below.

I'd also like voters to state why they do. Please help!
    Hi, I always vote for the Green Party because, ultimately, what is more important than the earth?!

ReputationRep:
    I'll vote. I might vote in my home constituency. There you have the realistic options of Tory or Lib Dem, I'm not voting Lib Dem ever so my hand is pretty much tied. I'll vote Tory because I dislike Ed Miliband then and there are no other options, Tory policy dislikes young people though so it would be a begrudging vote. My term-time constituency has not changed hands since 1964 and a vote for anyone that's not Labour is a useless vote so I'd have to vote labour there for mildly preferential policies but a total buffoon for PM. I fully understand why people are disillusioned with politics.

ReputationRep:
    They promise promise promise but never deliver. Or, they're all untrustworthy psychopaths who only care about the power and/or privileges that they'd get if they win. And they don't make an effort to retain their vote because they're satisfied with their time in charge, and will leave it to the next person in line to "clean up the mess".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    To people moaning that political parties are London centric. Of course they are. 1/6 people live in it and the surrounding counties
    Sure, 1/6 people might live there, but guess what? 5/6 don't.

and if you want to live in a city in the UK it's the only one worth living in. The only reason you would live in a city that isn't London is because you can't afford to live in london.
    So, what you're effectively saying is "poor people don't matter"?

Best city in Europe, possibly the world, the source of most of the economic ability of the UK,
    Let's isolate London from the sources of food, labour, and manufacturing in the rest of the country and see how it fares, hm?

and possesses the most enlightened and intelligent people in the UK, taking the best people from all over the UK and putting them in one place.

Even if this were the case, why does it make Londoners' opinions more worthy?

Your post is bad and you should feel bad.

ReputationRep:
    I did vote for the European elections. But for the local elections, I spoilt my ballot because I didn't like any of the candidates or the parties they were with.

So I'll vote for who I want, but if they're not available I don't give two ****s really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    To people moaning that political parties are London centric. Of course they are. 1/6 people live in it and the surrounding counties and if you want to live in a city in the UK it's the only one worth living in. The only reason you would live in a city that isn't London is because you can't afford to live in london. Best city in Europe, possibly the world, the source of most of the economic ability of the UK, and possesses the most enlightened and intelligent people in the UK, taking the best people from all over the UK and putting them in one place.

5/6 of people in this country do not live in London.

Ever thought that maybe a lot of people just don't want to live in London? London is no better than any other city. People often bring up the whole "it's grim oop north" stereotype but that is a generalisation, and there are parts of London which are just as bad. Just like there are parts of other cities which perform better than average. And not everyone wants to live in a city either.

London being the "source of most of the economic ability of the UK" isn't a reason why politics is London centric (assuming that statement about economic ability is even true, which is highly questionable, as subject delta's post explains). You've got it the wrong way round - it's actually a symptom of London centric politics.

London is absolutely not the only place worth caring about. How much time have you spend outside London? Your post suggests not a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    I vote because
    1) it's my right and I'll take whatever rights I'm given against the state, whether it's a measley almost worthless vote in the FPTP system or a very unfortified right to free speech (in our country)
    2) for every intelligent person (I'd say I'm pretty all right in that department) that doesn't vote, a stupid person will vote in their place
    3) I am not going to complain after the result of an election/a government policy if I never even bothered trying to sway that said result, so I *will* complain, and vote.
    I couldn't agree more. Most politicians may drink from the same Kool-Aid but it's a right to vote, so I'll take it.

I don't see anyone willingly surrendering rights like that to a fair trial, so why surrender the right to vote?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.