Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what would u think of me (rich international student) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    the fact that you mentioned any of the in bold above, bracketed "rich international student" in the title and constantly felt the need to remind us that you're rich shows that you are spoiled brat who does think they're better than everyone else. when you get here you'll realise no one will care about your wealth, but what they will care about is you doing exactly what you just did: bragging about being rich. I don't even know you, yet I already dislike you, so I hate to think what people will think when they actually get to know you... You asked for the truth? Well, here it is.
    I wrote this all because I wanted to know thoughts on rich students particularly , not any student. If I didn't write this how were you supposed to know of it ? By the way I do not wish to tell anybody in person there but I just wanted to have some thoughts of people I'll be living with. Could you people just think that I am living with you but do not tell you about any of this, but I had to mention this here obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krazy prince)
    It looks to me like it'll be difficult in the start but with time I'll fit in better. What do you think of a student who couldn't talk just as fluent as you. Ofcourse it gets better with time but in the start if somebody isn't as fluent as normal uk students, how would you feel (supposing he is your friend)?
    Well the drastic change from your slang English to very formal, grammatically correct English, shows you possibly aren't as bad at speaking it? As long I can understand them I really don't mind, I'm multilingual myself. You'll be alright good luck and good night

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aldanyh)
    I forgot to add, you'll also get asked tasteless questions by people. Questions like: "Oh, is your dad like, loaded?" "You're really rich, aren't you?" and even "What is your dad's salary?" Some of these ill-mannered people should know that it is rude to ask questions about a person's income.
    after hearing things like these , I wouldn't find aforementioned questions obnoxious. Not everybody is nice certainly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    i respect money and wealth.

i respect civilised individuals who respect themselves and others.

i never get jealous of rich people, i have nothing but the highest regard toward them. your parents worked hard to secure a good life for you, why shouldn't you be able to reap the benefits of your parents' hard work? there's no such thing as being spoiled. it only shows that you come from a family were the parents worked very hard to earn lots of money and provide a good life for their children.

also, don't forget that the UK is now a massively multiethnic society. people stopped caring about race and skin colour several decades ago.
    I see many nice people here too btw. Yeah my father worked really hard and may be if someone asks me in the uni , I'll tell him how he worked but everybody is right at the point that I didn't really earn anything Ihave but that's how it is. Naa I disagree on the racism part, when I visited UK I sensed it but isn't so massive. There are all sorts of people but question is how is the majority like and I don't have any idea how will most of the students be like towards me after reading the comments.

ReputationRep:
    I see many nice people here too btw. Yeah my father worked really hard and may be if someone asks me in the uni , I'll tell him how he worked but everybody is right at the point that I didn't really earn anything Ihave but that's how it is. Naa I disagree on the racism part, when I visited UK I sensed it but isn't so massive. There are all sorts of people but question is how is the majority like and I don't have any idea how will most of the students be like towards me after reading the comments.
    look...all i can say is be proud of your wealth, be proud of being rich. just as long as you don't obviously show it off (and I'm sure you won't). people won't make a big deal out of you being rich, unless of course you decide to openly make a big deal of it yourself, e.g. by bragging. But I'm sure you're not like that, judging from your posts. If I were you, I wouldn't give it any more thought. Don't feel like you need to change yourself to gain approval from others.

ReputationRep:
    If I try to be honest, it comes naturally from many. Even I wish my mother language was English as everybody wants what they don't really have.
    You just made an awesome comment and lemme tell you its just the same in Pakistan also so I could conclude that students here or there are somewhat wired in the same way.
    Be honest and be yourself, just make sure that most of the people you hang around and live with are people who come from a similar sort of background as yourself, to minimise this sort of friction.

ReputationRep:
    I actually pity people in your position, you've grown up in a sheltered environment so you most likely lack the impetus to pursue a challenging goal much like somebody in a less privileged position would.

I think the best aspect of life within a developed country is carving out your own success. Ignore the people hating on you, I don't think you're bragging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minidee6.12)
    Well the drastic change from your slang English to very formal, grammatically correct English, shows you possibly aren't as bad at speaking it? As long I can understand them I really don't mind, I'm multilingual myself. You'll be alright good luck and good night

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahaha I talk quite fine actually but couldn't match the level of a person who has been speaking it since birth. I easily can talk but face a bit problem when it comes to understanding British accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    look...all i can say is be proud of your wealth, be proud of being rich. just as long as you don't obviously show it off (and I'm sure you won't). people won't make a big deal out of you being rich, unless of course you decide to openly make a big deal of it yourself, e.g. by bragging. But I'm sure you're not like that, judging from your posts. If I were you, I wouldn't give it any more thought. Don't feel like you need to change yourself to gain approval from others.
    Appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aldanyh)
    Be honest and be yourself, just make sure that most of the people you hang around and live with are people who come from a similar sort of background as yourself, to minimise this sort of friction.
    I was thinking the same but I want to be friends with real British students , not with just the students I have been living with all life. I want a change ;-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Table dust)
    I actually pity people in your position, you've grown up in a sheltered environment so you most likely lack the impetus to pursue a challenging goal much like somebody in a less privileged position would.

I think the best aspect of life within a developed country is carving out your own success. Ignore the people hating on you, I don't think you're bragging
    I am sort of loving UK now! lol
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    One person I know missed the deadline for applying to University as a home/EU student, so they decided to apply as an overseas one instead (that has a later deadline)

That luxury of being able to pay £25k rather than £9k...just like that. They missed their offer but guess what? The said person was accepted no questions asked...

ReputationRep:
    Some of the comments on here shock me. Personally, I wouldn't judge you for being rich or spoiled. Yes, you might be spoiled, but at the end of the day that's the life your parents have provided for you and not exactly your choice. (Who is going to reject a free flat/house?!). Some of my friends are international and they openly talk about money/possessions etc. and I would warn you off doing that. It often makes people very uncomfortable, especially when most of us will come out of university deeply in debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    There are many people like you, don't feel special.
    *spuds*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-love-coffee)
    Some of the comments on here shock me. Personally, I wouldn't judge you for being rich or spoiled. Yes, you might be spoiled, but at the end of the day that's the life your parents have provided for you and not exactly your choice. (Who is going to reject a free flat/house?!). Some of my friends are international and they openly talk about money/possessions etc. and I would warn you off doing that. It often makes people very uncomfortable, especially when most of us will come out of university deeply in debt.
    If I make friends who belong to the middle class , surely I am not going to talk about any of this just to make sure I do not hurt them anyhow. The students who keep on talking stuff like this in front of others , this could cause them a big deal in the future too so I am scared of hurting anybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    *spuds*
    Haha , I laughed because I don't know what did you just say. What is spuds ??

ReputationRep:
    Haha , I laughed because I don't know what did you just say. What is spuds ??

lool, i google searched nothing relevant came up. am i going cray mking words up? :lol:

when our hand knuckles collide lmfao 0.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    lool, i google searched nothing relevant came up. am i going cray mking words up? :lol:

when our hand knuckles collide lmfao 0.o
    It meant potato haha even I googled it. You called him potato :-D

ReputationRep:
    It meant potato haha even I googled it. You called him potato :-D
    Ooops loool, but i swear them cool kids be like; spud me.. na spud me. don't leave me hangin' brah..:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    Ooops loool, but i swear them cool kids be like; spud me.. na spud me. don't leave me hangin' brah..:cool:
    Talk in a decent, formal , grammatical correct English and do not use slang words. People around tsr will hunt you down if you continue to write like this. lool. I've got a laughing fit haha A POTATO ??? LOL

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.