The Student Room Group

do you care what others think of you?

Scroll to see replies

Yes but not as much as I used to. I think its something you tend to care less about as you get older.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope not at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much you live by your own thoughts and how much by those of others is one one of the main things that distinguishes people in this world- Leo Tolstoy.
I don't give a big juicy sausage what others think about me :sexface:
Reply 64
Not tryna blow up another one of your threads OP haha but I'm not gonna be that person who's too cool to admit that I care. Hell yeah I care; beware the person who doesn't. They're liable to do anything, including the bad or just plain unnecessary/unintelligent/unreasonable/uncaring. I care. Do I worry/lose sleep over what people think. Hell no. Am I self conscious as in aware of myself and my surroundings. Yes. And all should be.
Original post by DiddyDec
I never have and never will. There are plenty of people who don't like me and that is their choice. As long as I am happy, that is what really matters.

Amazing! I agree with this 100%

It's your own life, not others - the main thing: look after your parents and family.

Honestly, who gives a fudge what others think of you.

Amazing. This quote made my day, and this thread should be bumped, because many people today in the world care too much of what others think.

It's our own life, our own future, our own way of living, so who cares what others think

Thanks DiddyDec
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66
Only if they're interviewing me for a job.

Otherwise, no.
Yes, probably far too much! x
I care about what the people i care about think of me. If its someone down the street, or somebody who bears no significance in my life, i couldnt care less what they think. But if i, say, want to befriend someone, then i want to make a good impression and will obviously be disappointed if they disapprove of me in whatever way. It also depends what it is about. I dont care what anybody thinks of my appearance unless i am romantically involved with them, and i care what my loved ones think of my personality. But that doesnt mean i'll be upset if they think something of me that is negative.
Not any more, but I used to. If people don't like me because my hair's "not right" or I don't have the same outlook on things as them, then that's their problem, and I really, hands-on-heart, do not care. I have plenty of friends who love me for who I am (without sounding arrogant), and I'm happy with that. I will never, ever change who I am just to gain more popularity.
I used to care so, so much. I'm getting into the habit of not caring, though, because if it isn't constructive input, why should I? I don't live my life for anyone else, and I don't do anything that hurts anyone else, so as far as I'm concerned apart from a select couple of close, very long term friends and immediate family I don't give a rat's arse what anyone thinks of me. It's so liberating to wear and do what I want and I've been much happier since I stopped making choices in accordance with any preferences but my own. If someone can't see the good in me that I know is there, then they aren't someone I'm interested in giving any time or effort, beyond general courtesy.
Original post by mermaidy
I used to care so, so much. I'm getting into the habit of not caring, though, because if it isn't constructive input, why should I? I don't live my life for anyone else, and I don't do anything that hurts anyone else, so as far as I'm concerned apart from a select couple of close, very long term friends and immediate family I don't give a rat's arse what anyone thinks of me. It's so liberating to wear and do what I want and I've been much happier since I stopped making choices in accordance with any preferences but my own. If someone can't see the good in me that I know is there, then they aren't someone I'm interested in giving any time or effort, beyond general courtesy.

Hats off to you- sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders.
If they are close to me or our relationship could be potentially important

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emily.97
Hats off to you- sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders.

Thank you :smile: I figure there's only so long you can be so self conscious before you have to just go "sod it" and do what you bloody well want!
Thank you :smile: I figure there's only so long you can be so self conscious before you have to just go "sod it" and do what you bloody well want!

Exactly.
I used to a lot. It used to bother me when people didn't like something about me, so I used to change myself a lot to please other people. Honestly, I'm a bit like that, but in terms of society's affect. I don't care so much about what individuals think of me, but society as a whole, sadly that's something I can't strip myself away from. For example, I used to be a size 10.. I then got comfortable and happy and ate more and now I'm a size 14, but because of society, I feel like I need to go back to a size 10 to be 'accepted'. It sucks.

Other than that, I care about what my boyfriend thinks. But that's it.
(edited 8 years ago)
I care what people whose opinions I value think of me a lot. And tbh I'd be lying if I said I didn't care when people say mean things to/about me. But less so than i used to. It used to be so important to me when I was about 12-16
To be completely honest yes, I'm generally a self concious person and have been my entire life tbh.

Cant see myself changing either, I'd love to not care what others think but it feels like some people are just meant to stay that way no matter what.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
To some extent yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amen! Like you, I used to care a lot, and used to do anything to try and fit in, but now I really can't be asked and feel more comfortable for just "being me", I really can't be bothered with changing who I am to fit in and please others. Way to go! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest