Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    lol and a few days ago you were saying how 3x5 on 70 would be impossible!
    I know... I obviously have a bit more strength in my thunder thighs than I thought! Haha. It is getting to a point where I can see I'm barely hitting parallel now though, so I'm quite happy to stick at 70 and perfect my form.

ReputationRep:
    Today

Squat 3x5 70kg (I'm still barely getting parallel, might lower the weight and try and get there, I did a warm up and on 60kg I was getting a good depth but started to lose it higher than that)

Row 5x5 27.5kg

Bench 3x5 27.5kg (sweaty hands + no spotter = not a risk I was willing to take, so just stuck with 3 sets)

ReputationRep:
    Arrrgghhh rubbish session

Squat 3x5 - 70kg (I was aiming for 5x5 but I didn't feel safe, was lightheaded and shaking etc)

OHP 8, 5, 5 - 20kg (again, didn't achieve what I aimed for which was 3x8). I am losing drive with this lift, every time it's exactly the same. I know it's a hard lift but I've been doing an empty bar since I started.

Deadlift 1x5 60kg (using a proper oly bar for the first time since I inured myself. I find it hard to get a decent sumo squat as the exact place where my hands need to be doesn't have a rough surface so I'm finding I need to put my legs even wider - it looks stupid, I'm not sure if it's even safe.. Gah)

Also did

Lunges x 20 - 20kg
    Split squats x 20 - 24kg

Poo poo poo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Arrrgghhh rubbish session

Squat 3x5 - 70kg (I was aiming for 5x5 but I didn't feel safe, was lightheaded and shaking etc)

OHP 8, 5, 5 - 20kg (again, didn't achieve what I aimed for which was 3x8). I am losing drive with this lift, every time it's exactly the same. I know it's a hard lift but I've been doing an empty bar since I started.

Deadlift 1x5 60kg (using a proper oly bar for the first time since I inured myself. I find it hard to get a decent sumo squat as the exact place where my hands need to be doesn't have a rough surface so I'm finding I need to put my legs even wider - it looks stupid, I'm not sure if it's even safe.. Gah)

Also did

Lunges x 20 - 20kg
    Split squats x 20 - 24kg

Poo poo poo
    I always thought the strength standards put online by internet gurus for females were always unfairly low for upper body strength compared to whats expected of males, but maybe there really is that much difference in upper body strength!

You're in an awkward position with the OHP TBH. If you can do 8 reps for your first set its really bordering on too light for good strength gains and the weight needs to be upped to get you back down to around 4-5 reps, but even putting the weight up to 22.5kg is a HUGE 12.5% increase and will probably absolutely slaughter your reps. It might be worth trying 22.5kg just for the first set and see if you can get a couple of reps before doing your other sets at 20kg, or else maybe look into getting some 0.5kg plates so you can slap the weight up to 21kg?

I'm surprised you got stuck at 20kg if that's the weight you started on though...how long have you been doing the OHP and what were your max sets/reps when you started?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    I always thought the strength standards put online by internet gurus for females were always unfairly low for upper body strength compared to whats expected of males, but maybe there really is that much difference in upper body strength!

You're in an awkward position with the OHP TBH. If you can do 8 reps for your first set its really bordering on too light for good strength gains and the weight needs to be upped to get you back down to around 4-5 reps, but even putting the weight up to 22.5kg is a HUGE 12.5% increase and will probably absolutely slaughter your reps. It might be worth trying 22.5kg just for the first set and see if you can get a couple of reps before doing your other sets at 20kg, or else maybe look into getting some 0.5kg plates so you can slap the weight up to 21kg?

I'm surprised you got stuck at 20kg if that's the weight you started on though...how long have you been doing the OHP and what were your max sets/reps when you started?
    I think I started on 20kg but kept failing the last couple of sets so was advised to drop down. I then got to 5x8 on 15kg so moved back up (though 17. 5 would have been the logical option, my gym doesn't have that weight of mini bar). I started doing OHP.. . I'm not sure, since I started SL 5x5 so maybe a couple of months ago.

My other upper body lifts are moving along, albeit rather slowly but it's just this one. My arms just give way and die!

I like your idea of doing 22.5kg for the first set then dropping down. I'll try that next time!

ReputationRep:
    Today (did more warm up sets than usual to see if it helps, so have included these)

Squat
    1x10 empty bar
    2x5 60kg
    2x5 65kg
    3x5 70kg (actually last set was 4 reps as I lost my balance at the bottom which meant I had a very hard time getting up, so that kind of threw me a bit so I stopped there)

Row
    1x5 empty bar
    2x5 25kg
    2x5 27.5kg
    3x5 30kg

DB Bench

1x5 16kg (8kg each)
    3x5 20kg (10kg each)

I've never really bench pressed with dumbells before, it was all very wobbly and uneven, not sure if this is normal.. I suppose it requires a much higher level of stabilisation.

DB curl (had the weights out, thought I may aswell)

3x5 10kg

All in all not bad. I'm thinking I might drop back with squats, I'm still barely getting parallel with 70 and I'm leaning forward into the balls of my feet waaay too much. Next time I might do 65kg and try and get my form right. Feel like I've plateaued with squats again, though I've come a long way since I first plateaued at 42.5kg!

Weighed myself: 61.2kg

ReputationRep:
    You're likely to be wobbly with dumbbells. Stability will come with practise and increasing the weight makes it easier to be stable imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah dumbbells will be wobbly for a few sessions until you learn the motor pattern!

ReputationRep:
    I like to do some rotator-cuff exercises as a warm up for the dumbbell bench press, to help with stability and prevent injury. If you start to wobble, it's the rotator cuff muscles which have to respond to keep the weight in position vertically above your elbow.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...lRotation.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerch)
    I like to do some rotator-cuff exercises as a warm up for the dumbbell bench press, to help with stability and prevent injury. If you start to wobble, it's the rotator cuff muscles which have to respond to keep the weight in position vertically above your elbow.

That's great, thank! It doesn't help that I have tiny little wrists, no wonder it's hard to keep the weight up! I don't intend to do DB bench often, only when I can't get on the normal barbell bench..

ReputationRep:
    Won't even talk about the embarrassment that was today's session. I seem to be getting worse every time I go to the gym recently. After tomorrow I won't be able to go until tuesday or Wednesday next week, not sure if it's worth going tomorrow or just leaving it now and taking a break..

ReputationRep:
    Back to it.

My gym seems really busy in the weights section recently. Mainly with people having personal training sessions who seem to stay on the same piece of equipment for what seems like hours... Might start going at a different time.

Anyway

Squats 3x5 65kg

Bench 3x5 27.5kg

Row 5x5 30kg

Assisted pull ups/dips 3x5 each

Pretty happy with that, wasn't expecting miracles as I've had a week off and my last session was terrible.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to know a lot about weightlifting, can I ask you a question?

As a total noob with no gym experience is it wrong to start too high in the weights and should I ease in? Some of the numbers I was lofting seemed higher than I expected for my lack of experience and I don't want to overdo it. Used 45kg chest fly, 25kg chest press and ten reps, three sets. I feel broken today (it was yesterday). Should I feel weak across my upper body?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    You seem to know a lot about weightlifting, can I ask you a question?

As a total noob with no gym experience is it wrong to start too high in the weights and should I ease in? Some of the numbers I was lofting seemed higher than I expected for my lack of experience and I don't want to overdo it. Used 45kg chest fly, 25kg chest press and ten reps, three sets. I feel broken today (it was yesterday). Should I feel weak across my upper body?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I don't really know anything, you'd be better off asking some of the more experienced guys...!

Are you talking about machines here or free weights? You'll often find you can do a lot higher on machines than weights because it takes away a lot of the need for stabilisation and balance, plus the fear of dropping it. I'd always say start off lighter and work up, you should be doing enough weight, reps and sets that by the last one you feel like you can only just finish it. If you could manage 10 reps at that weight then I wouldn't say you were lifting too heavy.

You're bound to have DOMS if it was your first time, it's normal. I get it pretty much every time I go to the gym.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I don't really know anything, you'd be better off asking some of the more experienced guys...!

Are you talking about machines here or free weights? You'll often find you can do a lot higher on machines than weights because it takes away a lot of the need for stabilisation and balance, plus the fear of dropping it. I'd always say start off lighter and work up, you should be doing enough weight, reps and sets that by the last one you feel like you can only just finish it. If you could manage 10 reps at that weight then I wouldn't say you were lifting too heavy.

You're bound to have DOMS if it was your first time, it's normal. I get it pretty much every time I go to the gym.
    Ah okay! Well it was helpful anyway.

Yeah they're machines, I'm far too afraid to use the free weights because all the really strong people crowd them and I feel under scrutiny! Well that makes sense then as by the last rep I physically couldn't lift another until I'd waited out 60 seconds. Is DOMS the painful feeling in the muscles after working out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Ah okay! Well it was helpful anyway.

Yeah they're machines, I'm far too afraid to use the free weights because all the really strong people crowd them and I feel under scrutiny! Well that makes sense then as by the last rep I physically couldn't lift another until I'd waited out 60 seconds. Is DOMS the painful feeling in the muscles after working out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah I understand the feeling, I don't particularly like lifting in front of a bunch of burly men but sometimes you've just gotta think '**** it' and go for it. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, they weren't born being able to deadlift 200kg! Maybe try and go when the gym is a bit quieter?

Yeah delayed onset muscle soreness. You get it the day after, usually gone by the next day or two.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I understand the feeling, I don't particularly like lifting in front of a bunch of burly men but sometimes you've just gotta think '**** it' and go for it. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, they weren't born being able to deadlift 200kg! Maybe try and go when the gym is a bit quieter?

Yeah delayed onset muscle soreness. You get it the day after, usually gone by the next day or two.
    Yeah, I'll try different times and see of its quieter! Makes sense, I went for a walk and it seemed to shake off the soreness a bit.

Anyway good luck with it and I hope you get back on form soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Squat

3x5 65kg
    3x3 67.5kg

Was in the squat rack as opposed to the power rack so was a bit restricted as to how low I could get unless I left the rack altogether. I made sure I got as low as possible though. I did have a cheeky look in the mirror to my side and could see that at the depth of the bar hitting the sides of the rack I was just below parallel.

Should I be aiming for ATG to justify squatting? Or is parallel still decent enough to carry on with?

OHP 5x3 22.5kg....finally! Couldn't get more than 3 reps out, despite that it felt better. Even when I thought my arms couldn't possibly lift the weight they seemed to get one last surge of strength to finish the rep. I'll probably drop back down to 20 again but it's nice to know it's possible to get past it!

Sumo Deadlift 1x5 60kg...Meh, need chalk or straps or something. Or to sweat less!

ReputationRep:
    Parallel is perfectly fine. Most people don't have the mobility to ATG, I definitely don't, and unless you're going to oly lift then there is no need, other than for the sake of doing it simply because you can.

Pick up some liquid chalk and use a mixed grip

ReputationRep:
    Squat 3x5 67.5kg (my feet turn out so much, my right always ends up at a 90 degree angle. Wtf)

Bench 3x5 30kg

Row 3x5 32.5kg

Split squats 3x5 20kg
    Assisted dips and pull ups, 15 of each.

All in all, pretty happy with that.

Bought a little tube of liquid chalk off Amazon. Should save me having to run my hands over someone else's gross chalk marks before I lift to stop my hands from slipping!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.