Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The only other person with my surname is my brother and even on google no one else ever comes up. I also hate it as it has a Z in but it's pronounced as 'eth' I honestly can't be bother with correcting people now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StayCee089)
    It sucks! Facebook says apparently that 'Staycee' Is not a name so I had to separate it to Stay Cee and now I get called 'Stay' oh the joys!
    Haha, I just remembered, xbox doesn't even allow me to have my first name :lol: it classified it as inappropriate or something :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyricalvibe)
    Haha, I just remembered, xbox doesn't even allow me to have my first name :lol: it classified it as inappropriate or something :/
    My gamertag isn't my name Don't want creepy 12 year old boys from COD stalking me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only person on facebook with my first and surname combination but I know I'm not the only one in the world as there's someone with the same name who has an etsy page according to my google search. The first result is my deviantart account and google images is full of my paintings, graves with my name on (a bit unnerving...) and photos I've liked/or shared on facebook... I've been digging into my family history lately, I've only got my surname line as far back as the 1820s. There's someone on my Grandmother's line who has the same first name as me in the 1500s though! It's interesting stuff...

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know Sophie is a very common name, quite a few girls in my year had the name Sophie. Infact my boyfriends younger sister is called Sophie.

ReputationRep:
    Both my names aren't common since I'm not from here. I have met like two people in my life who have the same name as me but thats in about 18 years and one of them was when I was back in my home country and they were all from where I'm from. I've never met anyone with the same surname as me that isn't family. I don't really like having a unique name, my name is quite hard to pronounce (I don't think its that bad but for some reason people struggle with) so I'm constantly having to correct people, sometimes I just let people call me whatever interpretation they have of my name since it doesn't bother me but I would prefer if I didn't have such a unique name.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    There's only 80-ish people with my surname (Hondsmerk - it's Dutch) in the world, and to the best of my knowledge I'm the only Alex among them :moon:

ReputationRep:
    My last name is Christmas ^_^. I've no idea how rare it is, though I have seen a few around (one was Mayor of Kensington and Chelsea at one point).

ReputationRep:
    My name is kinda common...but people know who i am from my picture :P

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can tell, I am the only person in the World with my combination of first name and surname.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEFeynman)
    As far as I can tell, I am the only person in the World with my combination of first name and surname.
    Pretty cool, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    My name is Akane (Japanese for Red) which my Dad gave me. I have to use my middle name, Lara, in the UK since people cannot pronounce Akane very well. I get 'a-cane', 'ak-ani', 'aka-ni'. :rolleyes:

Funnily enough, none of my Japanese relatives or friends can pronounce 'Lara' correctly, they keep calling me 'Rara'.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else a differently spelt name, get people who helpfully "correct" it?!

As I said in my first post, my name is the Italian (and Spanish) spelling of an English Biblical name, and it's only one letter different to the English form.

I have actually filled in forms with my name, and had people "correct" it to the English spelling, as if to suggest I don't know the spelling of my own name.

For a long time, even one of my teachers kept spelling it the English way, for example like whenever she would write comments on my homework. When I pointed it out to her, she once said, "oh sorry about that, it's just I'm used to the right way of spelling <name>." I politely pointed out that the spelling of my name isn't "wrong", it's just an international variant, rude cow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeMills77)
    Pretty cool, isn't it?
    Never really thought about it until reading this thread, and then doing a quick search. I guess it has its positives and its negatives. I guess it makes me pretty easy to find for one..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEFeynman)
    Never really thought about it until reading this thread, and then doing a quick search. I guess it has its positives and its negatives. I guess it makes me pretty easy to find for one..
    Stalkers will love it though. Although I have no Facebook, Twitter or anything else. So I'm pretty much invisible online. And I like it like that.

ReputationRep:
    6 people on Facebook have my first name..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My name (India) is fairly uncommon, I don't really care about sharing it.

ReputationRep:
    The Key part of my username is taken from my first name. I just won't reveal my surname on here.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon I have a fairly unique name, Kahina its Berber and is fairly historical, and there is probably only a few people in Algeria with that name (I haven't heard of very many), people try to write it as Katrina because I look quite English. Those virgin media adverts aren't helping either, with their Kahuna bundle .

My middle name is very common its Louise, thats what I use if I don't want to put my name online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeMills77)
    Hi people,

I picked my username 'Lee Mills' because many people have that name. I can't use my real name because I have an usual first name and my surname is rare and French in origin. What I don't like is I am very easy to find online because nobody else shares my name combination.

Do you have a unique name and how do you feel about sharing your real name online? Do you use pseudonym instead?
    I think an easy name makes you more approachable. If I had a long name I'd definitely shorten it. Last names don't really matter apart from the anonymity thing and spelling them out over the phone. Actually the anonymity thing is kinda annoying. If someone was to say something bad about me online it would show up straight away in a search engine. Whereas "John Smith is a nob" could be anyone out of 1000s of people. Also if you commit a crime and it makes it into the news you're irreversibly screwed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.