Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Benefits Britain:life on the dole ? Opinions Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    my preference would be to abolish the welfare state, but, admittedly, I see good ways of repairing/restyling our current welfare system;
    1) banning benefits for people who immigrate here (e.g. they should come here taking a risk, not having more money as a certainty, e.g. getting benefits here will most definitely be more lucrative than working in their home countries). this includes immigrants paying insurance for healthcare. this isn't racism, nor is it xenophobia. it is discouraging people coming here to contribute to the unemployment/welfare demand situation. this will encourage good immigration, as opposed to low-skilled immigration. this would obviously be parallel to a points-based system, of course, after we leave the EU, and also getting rid of the translators industry that is funded by the state
    2) food stamps to replace monetary payments of benefits unless it is not possible to do so
    3) having loans as opposed to welfare/benefits payments for job seekers so that it should be given only to those that will have a good chance of being able to pay it back slowly over time, like the current tuition system
    4) when young adults can't find a house, they should be told to live with their parents, as opposed to getting a council house/rent help
    5) having self-induced injuries/diseases etc not being covered by the NHS, including cigarette/alcohol addictions, sports-related injuries, etc.
    Agree with absolutely everything.

ReputationRep:
    welfare shouldn't exist
    I would never abandon the welfare state entirely however there's no doubt it needs a massive overhaul. The welfare state was established as a safety net not to provide a free ride.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People should really start concentrating on their own lives intead of being concerned about whether people are getting too many benefits or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tara_mc_)
    Politicians are afraid of losing votes from people on the dole so they are really careful about even mentioning stopping or changing the system really. Benefits are just money got from tax paid by working people, so the government don't really gain/lose but if there were less people scamming the benefits they would have more money to put on education etc:mad:
    Unfortunately as long as country is led by career politicians any necessary changes will never be made for exactly the reasons you have mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    my preference would be to abolish the welfare state, but, admittedly, I see good ways of repairing/restyling our current welfare system;
    1) banning benefits for people who immigrate here (e.g. they should come here taking a risk, not having more money as a certainty, e.g. getting benefits here will most definitely be more lucrative than working in their home countries). this includes immigrants paying insurance for healthcare. this isn't racism, nor is it xenophobia. it is discouraging people coming here to contribute to the unemployment/welfare demand situation. this will encourage good immigration, as opposed to low-skilled immigration. this would obviously be parallel to a points-based system, of course, after we leave the EU, and also getting rid of the translators industry that is funded by the state
    2) food stamps to replace monetary payments of benefits unless it is not possible to do so
    3) having loans as opposed to welfare/benefits payments for job seekers so that it should be given only to those that will have a good chance of being able to pay it back slowly over time, like the current tuition system
    4) when young adults can't find a house, they should be told to live with their parents, as opposed to getting a council house/rent help
    5) having self-induced injuries/diseases etc not being covered by the NHS, including cigarette/alcohol addictions, sports-related injuries, etc.
    1.would be easier to just heavily cut on immigration as I hate to think what the Kevel of crime and displacement since we already have homeless people on the streets.
    You'd also put more pressure on charities and have protests and unrest
    2.And yet we would gave to pay more taxes to incoroarte such an idea with little benefit
    3.And will these loans carry the same level of basic interest rate as any other other loans?
    Overspending is the norm in this country so I would hate to think how much debt people would get in.
    4.Housing problem is quite obvious
    5.And what about people who have been diagonised with such diesses from second hand smoking?
    Again we have so many complicated issues that need to be tackled with care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMBCFC)
    What do you think ?

A romanian family in Rotherham live with 11 children and get £24,000 in benefits a year, only worked a month in the 7 years they have been here. Some other Romanians plan on living in the UK to get money to send back home to make ends meet. Wtf come into our country no work, no tax and send money to make ends meet in your home country, is it charity ?

Absolutely boils my blood, I work part time and study full time and both my parents work and we barely scrape £24,000, and thats all hard work no benefits.

So the Government just lets them get away with this all they do is go sit at home drink, smoke and go to the job centre, not to mention the increase in crime they can bring such as pick pocketing, mugging, aggressive begging.

Is this what the UK is now a charity for poorer countries, while the tax payers pay for all this just great isnt it ! :mad:
    I completely agree. That programme makes me so angry I can barely watch to be completely honest. I don't have a problem with immigrants at all in general; often they come over and are very hardworking and contribute to our culture and diversity. But these people, they are just lazy and want to come here for the money. They have too many children and they clog our schools and hospitals; why can't the government see that this is a problem??? Makes me so angry. Like you, I work and study, my mum works full time and between us we scrape £14,000 and that will be even less when I leave home.

The UK is nothing more than a charity and it needs to be sorted.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morrisseymarr97)
    People should really start concentrating on their own lives intead of being concerned about whether people are getting too many benefits or not.
    Other people getting too many benefits directly affects us other citizens too. I thought that was obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCynicalChild)
    Other people getting too many benefits directly affects us other citizens too. I thought that was obvious.
    Yes but if their benefits were taken off them, how is that going to directly impact you since you won't personally gain anything extra?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but if their benefits were taken off them, how is that going to directly impact you since you won't personally gain anything extra?
    Better nationwide economy? Less tax? Mostly the change is going to be seen nationwide, as in the work ethic attitudes are going to improve (or exist, in some cases), people are going to hopefully work harder and more efficiently at their jobs because they don't have a fallback. These changes are not directly personal, but apply to everyone in the country so yes, they do affect me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    1.would be easier to just heavily cut on immigration as I hate to think what the Kevel of crime and displacement since we already have homeless people on the streets.
    You'd also put more pressure on charities and have protests and unrest
    2.And yet we would gave to pay more taxes to incoroarte such an idea with little benefit
    3.And will these loans carry the same level of basic interest rate as any other other loans?
    Overspending is the norm in this country so I would hate to think how much debt people would get in.
    4.Housing problem is quite obvious
    5.And what about people who have been diagonised with such diesses from second hand smoking?
    Again we have so many complicated issues that need to be tackled with care
    1) yeah sure, cut immigration, I wish they would, but be sure to attract the right kinds of immigrants as well, obviously, the ones that can actually afford to live here
    2) it costs money to do basically anything. this is something which will increase confidence in the welfare state, and that's good enough for most people.
    3) I don't really believe in charging interest for government loans seeing as the government should be a non-profit body - I just care about the extent to which the loan-takers will be able to actually pay the money back to the government at the end
    4) sure, but it doesn't justify people passing up the obviously superior (for the tax payer) option of going back to live with your parents
    5) depends on the circumstances entirely; if they choose to bring themselves around to incredibly smokey environments when they don't have to, then they shouldn't be covered by the NHS

ReputationRep:
    And see that is the hypocrisy of the British people who complain about scroungers,immigration,housing etc but yet no group is willing to stand up and come out with any realistic ideas that could benefit us in the long run
    We should endorse apprenticeships etc, try to create new jobs, move benefits over onto food stamps and the like to make sure people use the money efficiently...

I could go on. People are willing to suggest ideas, other people refuse to listen to helpful advances and trumpet fix-alls to problems with no easy solutions. What do the people whining about 'scroungers' actually want to change? Should they be deported? Executed? Should we scrap all benefits? What exactly are they proposing, is what I would like to know.

ReputationRep:
    1) yeah sure, cut immigration, I wish they would, but be sure to attract the right kinds of immigrants as well, obviously, the ones that can actually afford to live here
    2) it costs money to do basically anything. this is something which will increase confidence in the welfare state, and that's good enough for most people.
    3) I don't really believe in charging interest for government loans seeing as the government should be a non-profit body - I just care about the extent to which the loan-takers will be able to actually pay the money back to the government at the end
    4) sure, but it doesn't justify people passing up the obviously superior (for the tax payer) option of going back to live with your parents
    5) depends on the circumstances entirely; if they choose to bring themselves around to incredibly smokey environments when they don't have to, then they shouldn't be covered by the NHS
    2.Increasing confidence would be to actually get people into work without having them need to top up their wages.
    Having more job security would also increase confidence but overspending is wrong
    3.but they're those who would never be able to pay back such loans so should they be imprisoned I mean wouldn't it make sense to have them work for extra top up on their benefits
    I mean it should pay to work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCynicalChild)
    Better nationwide economy? Less tax? Mostly the change is going to be seen nationwide, as in the work ethic attitudes are going to improve (or exist, in some cases), people are going to hopefully work harder and more efficiently at their jobs because they don't have a fallback. These changes are not directly personal, but apply to everyone in the country so yes, they do affect me.
    K duck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lerjj)
    We should endorse apprenticeships etc, try to create new jobs, move benefits over onto food stamps and the like to make sure people use the money efficiently...

I could go on. People are willing to suggest ideas, other people refuse to listen to helpful advances and trumpet fix-alls to problems with no easy solutions. What do the people whining about 'scroungers' actually want to change? Should they be deported? Executed? Should we scrap all benefits? What exactly are they proposing, is what I would like to know.
    I agree that young people should be first priority into newly created employment.
    Food stamps would never work for so many reasons.

s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeniB)
    I completely agree. That programme makes me so angry I can barely watch to be completely honest. I don't have a problem with immigrants at all in general; often they come over and are very hardworking and contribute to our culture and diversity. But these people, they are just lazy and want to come here for the money. They have too many children and they clog our schools and hospitals; why can't the government see that this is a problem??? Makes me so angry. Like you, I work and study, my mum works full time and between us we scrape £14,000 and that will be even less when I leave home.

The UK is nothing more than a charity and it needs to be sorted.:mad:
    The kids are probably there for the child benefits and nothing to do with the love a husband and wife have to actually want a child to start a family. Some people cant have kids aswell !

ReputationRep:
    K duck

What.

ReputationRep:
    2.Increasing confidence would be to actually get people into work without having them need to top up their wages.
    Having more job security would also increase confidence but overspending is wrong
    3.but they're those who would never be able to pay back such loans so should they be imprisoned I mean wouldn't it make sense to have them work for extra top up on their benefits
    I mean it should pay to work
    2) yeah but that's not to do with the welfare state, the economy happens to be quite bad still
    3) I know, that's why you don't pay them in the first place because obviously it'd be a waste of public money - if there are certain people that are worthy of investing towards, then they will be the one's that will be allowed the loan, because it is not so bad when the money actually returns some day, and let's not forget that if they return to their feet they'll still be paying taxes in the future (although the taxation wouldn't be as much as you give them initially) although my vision would be to lower taxes in the first place

ReputationRep:
    I agree that young people should be first priority into newly created employment.
    Food stamps would never work for so many reasons.

s
    Replacing food stamps with a system that uses eletronic cards might though- you'd basically give them credit at shops so that their money is handled efficiently and it would prevent a black-market building up around food stamps. A possible addition to this would be to have the cards also carry biometric information, to prevent theft (seeing as how they'd be holding all your money).

There are creative solutions to these problems, and my point was that people are prepared to come up with them and to argue for them. Simply having a whine about people living off the state (even though that's patently what the welfare system is FOR) is not helping anyone. I wonder what the OP actually wants done about his immigrant family (who I think turned out to be Roma gypsies rather than Romanians... which I'm not going to comment on because I don't want to be unduly harsh).

ReputationRep:
    I am a bit retarded. Just a bit

Thanks, darling brother, for typing that. Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMBCFC)
    The kids are probably there for the child benefits and nothing to do with the love a husband and wife have to actually want a child to start a family. Some people cant have kids aswell !
    Yes I agree. Personally I think child benefit should be capped after 2/3 children; it's not fair to just keep having children for the benefits. I know that China is barbaric and backwards in many ways but I think the one child rule, if less extreme, could be a good plan.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.