Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic_Legends)
    Why did you drop economics? is it boring? is it hard? and how much maths does it include?
    it is not boring or very hard. the only reason i dropped it was because i wasn't sure at the time if i was able to handle 4 subjects at A2, i was told that A2 was significantly harder AS. so i decided i was going to drop either psychology or econ, in the end i found psychology more interesting and i got an A in AS so i dropped econ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DocdoLITTLE)
    yup! both exams were pretty decent, really hoping for an A* in ?psychology:rolleyes: how did you find it and what topics did you do for unit 3 and 4?
    It was alright, except the research methods section seemed different from past papers as there was only one stem. I did gender, aggression and eating for unit 3 and media, depression and obviously rm for unit 4. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlygiggle)
    [
    Yeah I found it alright, especially unit 3, except when I realised I spelt a key term wrong haha! Also, in unit 4, the research methods section seemed different to other past papers, but hopefully I did well For Unit 3, I did gender, aggression and eating behaviour. For unit 4, depression, media and obviously rm. You?
    do you lose a mark for misspelling key terms? i did not know this oh well i don't think i made any clear errors.. i did aggression, relationships and gender for unit 3 and schizo, addiction and rm for unit 4. i found unit 3 more interesting than unit 4 in terms of exam questions and revision prior to exam. and i agree RM was a little odd but it wasn't too bad imo. what course and uni have you firmed?

ReputationRep:
    do you lose a mark for misspelling key terms? i did not know this oh well i don't think i made any clear errors.. i did aggression, relationships and gender for unit 3 and schizo, addiction and rm for unit 4. i found unit 3 more interesting than unit 4 in terms of exam questions and revision prior to exam. and i agree RM was a little odd but it wasn't too bad imo. what course and uni have you firmed?
    No idea whether I will lose marks but it got me worried when I realised. Unit 3 was soo more interesting. I've firmed Exeter for geography and psychology. You? The wait for results is really long!

ReputationRep:
    No idea whether I will lose marks but it got me worried when I realised. Unit 3 was soo more interesting. I've firmed Exeter for geography and psychology. You? The wait for results is really long!
    oh right. i agree unit 3 was amazing. grade boundaries for A/A* were also AMAZING. i've firmed Surrey for mech eng. i hope i get the grades so i can start uniii! and i knoww the wait is killing me honestly wish we got our results like 5 weeks ago...

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking edexcel geography without taking any geography GCSE as it was not in my option blocks, however I took triple science at gcse and am on set for all A\A*'s, will I find as level geography hard?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the helpful thread
    I'm doing Edexcel History next year, and one of my units is on Votes for Women too (the other being Italy)
    Just a few questions:
    1. Did you do Edexcel history for GCSE too?
    2. Does the source paper require heavy revision? As for GCSE I found it was more about learning technique for that paper?
    3. I went to the library and got a heap of relevant and vaguely relevant books on the topics, is this actually going to help at all?
    THANK YOU! x

ReputationRep:
    Geography is my favourite subject, but I did find it tricky. I think its because of all the information and case studies you need to learn. Also, the unit 1 exam is very similar to gcse but I'm sure you'll be fine seeing the grades you've got and if you're willing to work hard, it will be alright. For example, one person in my class didn't do gcse geography and got a very good grade at AS, so I wouldn't worry. geography is a very interesting subject so i wouldn't discourage you from taking it. Just go for it and you will definitely enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    oh right. i agree unit 3 was amazing. grade boundaries for A/A* were also AMAZING. i've firmed Surrey for mech eng. i hope i get the grades so i can start uniii! and i knoww the wait is killing me honestly wish we got our results like 5 weeks ago...
    Where did you find the grade boundaries for unit 3. Do you know whether the mark scheme is up anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eviepeviepudding)
    I'm taking edexcel geography without taking any geography GCSE as it was not in my option blocks, however I took triple science at gcse and am on set for all A\A*'s, will I find as level geography hard?
    See post number 68 for my reply to this. I forgot to quote your original message

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyx)
    Hey, thanks for the helpful thread
    I'm doing Edexcel History next year, and one of my units is on Votes for Women too (the other being Italy)
    Just a few questions:
    1. Did you do Edexcel history for GCSE too?
    2. Does the source paper require heavy revision? As for GCSE I found it was more about learning technique for that paper?
    3. I went to the library and got a heap of relevant and vaguely relevant books on the topics, is this actually going to help at all?
    THANK YOU! x
    I really can't remember what exam board I did for gcse, sorry :confused:
    Like you say, technique is most important but not just for the source question but for all questions. You still have to revise for the source question though as, for example, at A2 you have to use your own knowledge (i.e: revision) and the source to answer the question. Although, if I remember correctly, in the AS votes for women unit, I think there is a question where you only need to use the source.

The books will help, even if you find a tiny bit of information that is useful in them. I did however, find the textbook we had for votes for women very useful and the only source of information needed to get a good grade. Anyhow, buying/borrowing books, is all good practice for unit 4 where you need to do lots of research for the coursework!!

ReputationRep:
    I really can't remember what exam board I did for gcse, sorry :confused:
    Like you say, technique is most important but not just for the source question but for all questions. You still have to revise for the source question though as, for example, at A2 you have to use your own knowledge (i.e: revision) and the source to answer the question. Although, if I remember correctly, in the AS votes for women unit, I think there is a question where you only need to use the source.

The books will help, even if you find a tiny bit of information that is useful in them. I did however, find the textbook we had for votes for women very useful and the only source of information needed to get a good grade. Anyhow, buying/borrowing books, is all good practice for unit 4 where you need to do lots of research for the coursework!!
    Okay, thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    Where did you find the grade boundaries for unit 3. Do you know whether the mark scheme is up anywhere?
    i was talking about previous grade boundaries. not sure if there are any official mark schemes up..there is an unofficial mark scheme for rm though but you've probably seen it. if not here it is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ge=560&x=0&y=0

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad it helped you
    People are very friendly on the first day of AS. You will be absolutely fine. Just say "Hello" to a person you are sitting/standing next to and you'll have friends in no time. Everyone is willing to talk to new people. I stayed at the sixth form attached to my secondary school and I was happy to talk to and make new friends, so I'm sure others will be the same towards you. After a couple of weeks, groups do begin to appear, but that doesn't matter when you will have already made friends - everyone will still be just as friendly
    That's good to hear thanks for answering all my questions, you've really put my mind at ease.

i really wish you good luck with your a-level results & future plans, you're such a nice person for taking time to help myself and others

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have just finished my A-Levels.
    I would be happy to answer any questions you have about a-levels, revision, tips, specific subject questions and sixth form/college life.

The AS subjects I took were: Biology, Geography, History, Psychology, Critical Thinking
    The A2 subjects I took were: Geography (EDEXCEL) , History (EDEXCEL), Psychology (AQA A)
    What uni courses do you plan to apply to/do? Also what universities?

Sorry if this has been asked, didn't read any of the replies to the thread.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have just finished my A-Levels.
    I would be happy to answer any questions you have about a-levels, revision, tips, specific subject questions and sixth form/college life.

The AS subjects I took were: Biology, Geography, History, Psychology, Critical Thinking
    The A2 subjects I took were: Geography (EDEXCEL) , History (EDEXCEL), Psychology (AQA A)
    Did you have any controlled assessments for A Level History?

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished Year 13

French [AQA], Religious Studies [OCR] & Psychology [Edexcel].

Also did Product Design [OCR] and General Studies [OCR, I think] to AS Level.

Happy to help with subject specific questions or general ones about sixth form or Uni applications/choices, including Oxbridge [I was made an offer, I chose not to accept, but I went through the process!] ^^

ReputationRep:
    I assume you are thinking of taking/are taking edexcel history too? as the exam boards can vary on what they offer in terms of the specification.

It all depends on what options you pick, but I would say that there is not really much difference in difficulty between the two.
    For example, at both AS and A2, you have to analyse sources and use them in your answer.
    Also, the questions are worth a similar number of marks.
    One of the only things that makes A2 more tricky than AS is the coursework (Unit 4). It requires you to write 2 parts adding up to no more than 4,000 words and you have to do a lot of research beforehand.
    And obviously, the topics will be different - you can't build on what you've already learnt (except for part of the technique).

But if you enjoyed history at gcse - take it for A level because no matter how hard a subject is, if you like it, you are more likely to do well

Yup I've just finished year 12, so we've already covered some of the A2 content. Okay yeah the coursework already seems like the biggest change, but I've really enjoyed history so far at GCSE and AS, so should be good next year hopefully...just waiting for results day now
    Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    i was talking about previous grade boundaries. not sure if there are any official mark schemes up..there is an unofficial mark scheme for rm though but you've probably seen it. if not here it is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ge=560&x=0&y=0
    I haven't actually, so I will take a look - thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CBftw)
    That's good to hear thanks for answering all my questions, you've really put my mind at ease.

i really wish you good luck with your a-level results & future plans, you're such a nice person for taking time to help myself and others
    Aww, thank you I'm glad my advice helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.