Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There were a surprising amount at Southampton. I liked the uni because on the open day it didn't seem like there were many, apparently I was wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alone-in-kyoto)
    Being a huge lefty I guess I'm quite sensitive to it, but I feel that the student body is relatively homogenous in relation to many other universities. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of lovely people, I just find it overly dominated by the same type of person.
    Well St. Andrews does have that stereotype so you knew what you were getting into!

Either way I judge people based on the quality of their character and not the amount of money in their bank accounts. People from state school background can be as big a **** as someone from a privately educated background so I don't think it's fair to judge the whole demographic.

ReputationRep:
    UCLan and Leeds Met obviously.
    Anyway, all jokes aside, I think Durham, Warwick and St Andrews are quite as you put it "posh"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    Lol, I'm going to Falmouth to study Journalism & Creative Writing. Did you even get into a university?
    Not being snobby but I wasn't aware there was a uni in Falmouth? Learn something new everyday

ReputationRep:
    You really confuse me lol. Do you not think I'm 18?
    I confuse myself at the best of times

I believe yeh

so what yeh up to today then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    Not being snobby but I wasn't aware there was a uni in Falmouth? Learn something new everyday
    Neither did I at first haha. But it's pretty great for creative arts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    Certain kind of public school kid. Lots of Jack Wills/A&F/Ralph Lauren, generally quite confident, often sporty.

If you take a look at men's rugby and women's hockey you'll get a good idea. I can do a decent impression because I played rugby, but my accent gives away that I in fact went to a comp.
    can you give some examples of the accent difference? because I honestly can't tell the difference, the 'southern' accent all sounds about the same to me :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriel96)
    I always considered Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Newcastle, St Andrews and Edinburgh to be the big ones with rah and posh types but would places like University of Hertfordshire be up there too because of where it is although it isn't a top uni? I went to a "posh" public school (don't hate me ) and the standards where people applied to were Newcastle, Bristol and Leeds.
    Is this who I think it is? I'd be very surprised if it isnt

ReputationRep:
    Haha! I know a few people who went and are going to Durham. They never applied for Oxford or Cambridge... I don't see what's so great about those universities. All they say to me is "boring". I heard that even their freshers week isn't even that great, and the following week everyone's huddled up in the library... Neither even offer the course I'm going to do at a different university, if they did, I know I would get in but I'd never apply to those. I'd stick out like a sore thumb :ahee:
    Durham, Warwick and some other top unis have pretty dull freshers compared to like Birmingham. The main reason people go to top unis is to get a degree from a prestigious place which is why they focus more on studies and getting in requires a lot of enthusiasm for the course.

ReputationRep:
    Jack Wills, beach blonde hair, white iphone, Uggs, fake tan, hair tied up in a bun, leggings, uni hoody, raspy posh accent, Starbucks, double/triple barrel name - This is nearly every girl I see at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    Well St. Andrews does have that stereotype so you knew what you were getting into!

Either way I judge people based on the quality of their character and not the amount of money in their bank accounts. People from state school background can be as big a **** as someone from a privately educated background so I don't think it's fair to judge the whole demographic.
    I think you miss my point, I certainly have not said that "all rich people are dicks". I fully appreciate that people don't choose the circumstances into which they are born, but the sense of entitlement and superiority which appears to come along with that for so many people is quite prominent. I'm not generalising to an entire demographic and know various people from incredibly privileged backgrounds who are modest about it, and of course the opposite applies. It stands, however, that in my personal experience there is a sense of entitlement and superiority amongst a great deal of the student body here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airdoc)
    EXETER.

Sorry.

EXERAH.

It is literally RAH central.
    I know someone in Exerah that only wears Ralphies, even when he is sleeping.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    can you give some examples of the accent difference? because I honestly can't tell the difference, the 'southern' accent all sounds about the same to me :confused:
    It is usually just genercally Southern or RP, mine's Yorkshire though.

ReputationRep:
    Royal Holloway

ReputationRep:
    Lmao I'm just saying. No I'm not bitter towards a university, that would be silly.
    If you say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    Jack Wills, beach blonde hair, white iphone, Uggs, fake tan, hair tied up in a bun, leggings, uni hoody, raspy posh accent, Starbucks, double/triple barrel name - This is nearly every girl I see at university.
    My idea of posh totty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alone-in-kyoto)
    I think you miss my point, I certainly have not said that "all rich people are dicks". I fully appreciate that people don't choose the circumstances into which they are born, but the sense of entitlement and superiority which appears to come along with that for so many people is quite prominent. I'm not generalising to an entire demographic and know various people from incredibly privileged backgrounds who are modest about it, and of course the opposite applies. It stands, however, that in my personal experience there is a sense of why entitlement and superiority amongst a great deal of the student body here.
    No I understand what you meant I was just giving my opinion. I know the kind you mean (Kate Kennedy club etc) but they are easily avoided should you so wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    LOL this is insanely accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriel96)
    According to this - http://tab.co.uk/2014/03/31/revealed...ated-students/

1) Oxford
    2) St Andrews
    3) Bristol
    4) Cambridge
    5) Durham
    6) Imperial
    7) UCL
    8) Edinburgh
    9) Exeter
    10) Newcastle
    I don't think a simple state/private ratio is enough to define 'posh', there are plenty of wealthy kids in state schools and people from average backgrounds in private schools.

My sis went to Cambridge and did a doctorate at UCL and her anecdotal evidence is that UCL was posher, she reported lots of European wealthy and aristocratic types there.

ReputationRep:
    People like you make me laugh. Just because I'm not going to Oxford or Cambridge doesn't mean I'm not intelligent. Wouldn't want to be around snobs anyway.
    It's not that you don't go to Oxbridge, it's just the reverse snobbery that is ridiculous. Trust me, if you were intelligent enough to go to Oxbridge, you would want to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.