Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    You are assuming that I want to go corporate and work for someone else for the rest of my life.

Guess what - I don't, and I am in the perfect industry to go self employed if I wanted too.
    This is what your little brother said, now he is a cashier at corals, gl. The most "economic" thing he does is make sure his till balances at the end of the day LMAO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    A system is always going to have its flaws, but it seems to work that is why they haven't changed it.
    Yeah well it wasn't always like this.

An uncle worked at saatchi and saatchi , without great ALs and a 2.2 degree. He just graduated at a time when the entry requirements were more relaxed.

My bro - same deal - captain for emirates. Not degree educated. Now according to him it's harder and with some of the top airlines you need good marks.

So don't try and act like this is how it always was, when it is a recent thing due to the demand being for grad jobs being high.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well it wasn't always like this.

An uncle worked at saatchi and saatchi , without great ALs and a 2.2 degree. He just graduated at a time when the entry requirements were more relaxed.

My bro - same deal - captain for emirates. Not degree educated. Now according to him it's harder and with some of the top airlines you need good marks.

So don't try and act like this is how it always was, when it is a recent thing due to the demand being for grad jobs being high.
    Things are changing, you either have to throw money to get into a decent scheme like being a pilot. If I fail my degree its my only out also,lol. You uncle this is going back 30 years, before colour TV. It has definitely changed that is why you have to adapted, each persons circumstances are different. You uncle is also a maverick, which your failing to point out. I was referring to your brother jalebi.

ReputationRep:
    This is what your little brother said, now he is a cashier at corals, gl. The most "economic" thing he does is make sure his till balances at the end of the day LMAO.
    Stop comparing him to me, he is not even working industry and hasn't got anything to show for his time in industry.

Whilst I have worked on a software project which is now being copied by competitors and has been nominated in industry awards. Not bad for someone who got a C in AL IT.

Your elitism is retarded.

ReputationRep:
    If I were an employer I'd take a 2:2 Warwick MORSE graduate over pretty much any 2:1 from any uni outside the top 10.

Unfortunately employers are too lazy to have that foresight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    What easily accounts for the difference is that the way you think at university and the way you think at A level are completely different. A levels teach you to regurgitate facts, Universities teach you how to think, thus it is expected that A levels are a lot easier and that it isn't necessarily true that somebody who does well at A level will do well at university. And this isn't even on topic.

On topic, however, the numbers of people getting 3rd class degrees and 2.2s is getting lower and lower, 2.1 requirement is perfectly reasonable.
    It is on topic a 2:1 requirement is a joke without taking into account the university it came from and the subject.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Do you read a newspaper? That is why so many large companies are offering people with decent Alevels the opportunity to do a apprenticeship get a degree and work, £16-20k for someone that has just finished school is good. Its not only computer science i was getting it into his head the importance of alevels. Why don't u read a newspaper, look at JP Morgan, PWC, KPMG,Ernest &Young, Capgemmi... I could go on forever. I was just stating IT because its an Alevel doesn't matter if it was a decent grade in Ancient History. Any little kid that gets BBB or above is going to be ahead at that age.
    Fair enough for students that can only get BBB

ReputationRep:
    Stop comparing him to me, he is not even working industry and hasn't got anything to show for his time in industry.

Whilst I have worked on a software project which is now being copied by competitors and has been nominated in industry awards. Not bad for someone who got a C in AL IT.

How is it, it goes with what the rest of society conforms to elitism based on society/status and moolah. He is in that position from bad A-levels and bad university. It goes to show get a good set of A-levels and 2:1. Yeah, experiences are priceless you can't buy them, even watching them on youtube can do so much.

ReputationRep:
    looking at your profile pic, I realise why you're so insecure, I feel for you bruh.

OT: you got a 2:2 get over it, own fault for being lazy

ReputationRep:
    Things are changing, you either have to throw money to get into a decent scheme like being a pilot. If I fail my degree its my only out also,lol. You uncle this is going back 30 years, before colour TV. It has definitely changed that is why you have to adapted, each persons circumstances are different. You uncle is also a maverick, which your failing to point out. I was referring to your brother jalebi.
    Tbh I will agree with you in the sense that you should aim to get the best marks possible.

I disagree with this notion however that there is a direct correlation between intelligence and AL marks when there are so many variables at play.

The problem with the OP is that he has a sense of entitlement, 'I got 400 ucas points and went to Warwick so I deserve to get a job.' - if say he did get job interviews and went in with that attitude they won't employ him because they would think he is a snotty little grad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    looking at your profile pic, I realise why you're so insecure, I feel for you bruh.

OT: you got a 2:2 get over it, own fault for being lazy
    Im not the one hiding my face "princess" haha...gameset match :cool:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    It is on topic a 2:1 requirement is a joke without taking into account the university it came from and the subject.
    The relative difficulty of a level and degrees isn't on topic, and I expect that most firms (or at least the larger and/or more prestigious firms) do also exclude lower universities, or at least are more cautious about their graduates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im not the one hiding my face "princess" haha...gameset match :cool:
    who said anything about hiding? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How is it, it goes with what the rest of society conforms to elitism based on society/status and moolah. He is in that position from bad A-levels and bad university. It goes to show get a good set of A-levels and 2:1. Yeah, experiences are priceless you can't buy them, even watching them on youtube can do so much.
    If I thought like you mate, I would not be in the position to write about what I have done in industry. I would have not even bothered trying due to inadequacy.

Yes, if you under perform in your degree or Alevels, it affects your job prospects no doubt.

But if you make the most out of the opportunities you do get after the **** up (which is what I did), you can go onto achieve amazing things.

In my case, because I under performed at AL, it lead me to develop the drive to succeed from my degree onwards. I got taught a life lesson, this is transferrable and arguably more important then just being the perfect A grader, as I have demonstrated how I deal with failure.

The OP will now face this test with his 2.2 from Warwick. It is the first time he has faced failure of this magnitude. He will either sink or fight hard to create success. If he succeeds, he will become stronger for it.

I think you are elitist because you size people up based on what companies they work in, not what they have achieved, or are trying to achieve.Not everyone who works in corporates have distinguished careers, its why my colleague who graduated from Cambridge with a 2.1 left one to join the start up

ReputationRep:
    Where the heck am I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    who said anything about hiding? :rolleyes:
    If i wasn't confident, i wouldn't be showing my face in public, so why are you insecure. Pm me about your transference it makes me tick.

ReputationRep:
    If i wasn't confident, i wouldn't be showing my face in public, so why are you insecure. Pm me about your transference it makes me tick.
    Who say's my face isn't on TSR? go to chat section and check "post pic" bruh

ReputationRep:
    You should've worked harder my friend. You knew that this is the make or break of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The relative difficulty of a level and degrees isn't on topic, and I expect that most firms (or at least the larger and/or more prestigious firms) do also exclude lower universities, or at least are more cautious about their graduates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again it's bull****.

If I went ahead and spent 9k a year on a masters from a RG, top uni. (I went to an ancient, not a poly through clearing btw.)

I will still be filtered out at the app stage due to AL marks.

So for all of you people trying to sell it as - "they want people from x uni because it's better', 'ALs are used because it is a benchmark for intelligence', are not actually just seeing it for what it is.

These filters are just a crude filtering mechanism to keep the applicant numbers down. There are simply not enough jobs for the amount of grads being churned out due to over population and a globalised economy. That's why in some subjects the entry requirements are more relaxed - an engineering grad with a 2.2 can get into many grad schemes for example, because guess what , not many people do engineering in comparison to law.

I won't be surprised if they start looking at your Nursery school grades in 10 years time. Getting ridiculous.

ReputationRep:

It's always you two bickering, when is the marriage date?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.