Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why did your parents divorce? And what did their divorce teach you about.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakeh)
    Aw thats a real shame. Yeah how I feel now sucks. And id rather not be so depressed but when I am in a relationship I feel amazing. Just miss it now haha
    Why go through that, why get yourself so emotion involved? I've counselled people irl and even on tsr who were hopeless romantics on this exact thing and they all ended up the same resulting in depression.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    Why go through that, why get yourself so emotion involved? I've counselled people irl and even on tsr who were hopeless romantics on this exact thing and they all ended up the same resulting in depression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah because when you are with someone the feeling is amazing. You feel so happy so confident it gives you this surge of positvity and you have this amazing person who supports you and believes in you.

I would take the heart ache the depression the tears every single break up if I can experience the highs for as long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Relationships?

As as per title of the thread.

my mom drove my dad crazy.
    they had relationship therapy.
    the therapist basically blamed my mom.
    my mom got worse.
    my dad started cheating. although he believes they were on a break.
    then he moved out.

it made me realise my freudian attraction to difficult women. in regards to my mother.

i think having been raised in a single parent house hold has made me lose faith in finding a "grow old together" relationship.

ReputationRep:
    My parents divorced mainly because my uncle (mums brother) didn't get along with my father and decided to cause problems leading to both families hating each other so my mum and dad split, dad remarried however my parents can still talk to each other without causing a fuss.
    What I learnt?
    My uncles a selfish, dumbarse weirdo who can't be trusted and I learnt that financial security is also very important since my dad didn't give us nothing and my mum had to work really hard to support us. I also learned that the farther you live from interfering family the chances of your marriage lasting are greater.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow I feel sorry for Brits they don't know what is real love..

As for me my parent never divorced,they fell in love,get married ,made a family and now we are all living happily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakeh)
    Ah because when you are with someone the feeling is amazing. You feel so happy so confident it gives you this surge of positvity and you have this amazing person who supports you and believes in you.

I would take the heart ache the depression the tears every single break up if I can experience the highs for as long
    The way I see it, I have all the benefits while keeping an appropriate emotional distance, win win situation.

Do you fall in love easily?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    The way I see it, I have all the benefits while keeping an appropriate emotional distance, win win situation.

Do you fall in love easily?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sadly yes. I guess I am 1 of those people who wants the true love story, married forever etc. Its why it sucks everytime it doesn't work.

How sad am I eh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakeh)
    Sadly yes. I guess I am 1 of those people who wants the true love story, married forever etc. Its why it sucks everytime it doesn't work.

How sad am I eh!
    Aww bless. Marriage isn't all that, they never mention the unsightly parts of it, wanting your own space, disagreeing on various things and having to compromise or even as ridiculous as dealing with their farts when you're trying to sleep :lol:

Keep trying, maybe you'll get there one day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So many people have posted that one of their parents cheated on the other, or that they were married under false pretences, and that that has taught them that no one is trustworthy, and that marriage and serious relationships can only end in lies and heartbreak. I'm certainly not trying to belittle what you went through - my parents divorced too, and it was awful! - but you guys have a sample size of ONE. There really isn't much you can learn from that, besides that those particular people were incompatible and their relationship was never going to work. I implore you, don't lose faith in everyone's honesty!

ReputationRep:
    yerrk no

My familly is decent no one divorced,we all live like normal people.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know - I refuse to talk about it or ask questions even though my mum really wants me to. The general gist is that my dad struggled to get a job so he had to work away for years and they were in positions much lower than he was in before which made him unhappy. It's just so strange - they still slept in the same bed, went on holiday together, went out together after they were separated. They still seem to like each other so it's confusing.

It's taught me that I'm more selfish than I thought - I was more concerned about how it affects me than how my parents were feeling. And that if my parents couldn't make their marriage work I'm sure I won't be able to make a relationship last because they seemed like such a good couple.

My dad cheated on my mum for quite a while although have never got a confirmed amount of time for it and left when i was 15, it was with his older ex secretary which i think is wired. I was devastated at first and helping mum through it was a really difficult time, but she met someone else, he married his wife and i can see they are both happy. It seems to have made me a bit cautious when it comes to opening up to people, tbh i don't think anyone knows the real me, but another thing is i can see that both mum and dad are happy in there relationships but given the fact they were together for 17 odd years and had two kids i can say there must have been a time they did love each other and it didn't work out. Overall i think it shows that there is no such thing as the one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.