Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Politisphere)
    Haven't you heard? 'Model Civil Service' along with 'Model Local Councils' and 'Model Bureaucratic Money Wasters' is to be launched come September. There's speak of a 'Model Royal Family' too... It's becoming a model Universe.
    (Original post by Mattvr)
    No, I haven't! Possibly as I'm still relatively new to this MHoC malarky. It's bizarre, but sounds pretty interesting. What about a Model House of Lords? That would be good!
    #Sarcasmfail. However there is growing support for a MHoL.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No, I haven't! Possibly as I'm still relatively new to this MHoC malarky. It's bizarre, but sounds pretty interesting. What about a Model House of Lords? That would be good!
    Spot the sarcasm.

And MHoL has been proposed a couple of times even this term, but to no avail.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I do think our immigration system needs improving but this is a very extreme change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    :facepalm: Having independent model countries to improve the Model UN would be a better option. Sadly I don't think there's enough interested people to fully sustain them all without pretending to be citizens of 10 countries or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Spot the sarcasm.

Seriously though, I joined TSR on 8th June, and it wasn't much after that I was chosen as an MP. I am far too busy to read every comment, on every thread, of every Bill, in each sub-forum. Seriously, this is the first I've heard of this. I was joking about the mock Civil Service, expecting it to be taken as a joke!

I was very swiftly sub-ed in to replace an out-going MP. I am not totally aware of other legislation that has been considered this Parliament. it isn't exactly easy for a lay TSR member to view the MHoC like the RL HoC!

ReputationRep:
    #ohmygodicantbelieveyoujustusedh ashtag Having independent model countries to improve the Model UN would be a better option. Sadly I don't think there's enough interested people to fully sustain them all without pretending to be citizens of 10 countries or so.
    Yeah, in a perfect world there would be many model HoCs and the MUN would act as a MEU.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in a perfect world there would be many model HoCs and the MUN would act as a MEU.
    I'm surprised no one has looked towards a partnership with another student website from another country. There has to be other students in the world who want to play virtual politics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised no one has looked towards a partnership with another student website from another country. There has to be other students in the world who want to play virtual politics.
    :yy: There are a few American ones, and I expect that it could probably be arranged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Strange to see Oman as a low-risk country but Poland and Andorra as medium-risk (to name a few countries that stood out).
    Israel low risk, gaza-strip+West Bank medium, Russia not mentioned?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. The usual objections can easily be countered.

(Original post by O133)
    Spot the sarcasm.

You mean by me I presume.

You'll note that no bill was put forward, simply threads for discussion where the possibility was subsequently shouted down by lifepeer (ironically) in a quarrel that led him to continue to regard me as some kind of radical reformist during unrelated discussions e.g. the Speakership election.

The potential of a MHoL is very real and despite the naysaying of a few vocal pessimists should be given real consideration.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    You mean by me I presume.

You'll note that no bill was put forward, simply threads for discussion where the possibility was subsequently shouted down by lifepeer (ironically) in a quarrel that led him to continue to regard me as some kind of radical reformist during unrelated discussions e.g. the Speakership election.

The potential of a MHoL is very real and despite the naysaying of a few vocal pessimists should be given real consideration.
    You haven't been the only one (I have a feeling it was Crypto that did it a week or two before). Without derailing this too much, I don't think activity levels are high enough, there's a hole in the process that it could fill, or that it's appropriate with the semi-ongoing discussion on abolishing the RL HoL.

ReputationRep:
    :yy: There are a few American ones, and I expect that it could probably be arranged.
    True. There were people on CollegeConfidential that were interested but talking about other sites on threads is prohibited there, so I sent a PM to the members interested in online clubs/groups/extracurriculars. I was talking about the MUN though (which is restricted to posts > 150 and +3 months of activity btw) so I'll send one talking about the MHoC and see if I get any answers.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't thing immigration is a bad thing. Foreign students actively help improve the universities and many immigrants are doctors and engineers, so are highly skilled. Some of them are refugees but why is it a bad thing to protect people against prosecution or even death. Immigration does not hurt the economy, in all fairness. The number of Europeans working in the UK is the same as British working in Europe. Foreign students contribute 80 billion pounds a year to UK economy and ,nowadays,after the ending of post-study work visas, they have to go back home a couple of months after finishing their studies. So it's quite an amazing bargain.

The only problem I have with immigration is citizenship. I think the laws aren't though enough and many people become British citizens without considering Britain as their home, their country. A British passport is only for the Brits.If you dont consider yourself British and dont see Britain as the only heaven on earth(best place to be) :yep: then you dont deserve it. I think we need MUCH harsher rules regarding naturalisation (citizenship). It must be a process involving numerous test and courses taking more than a year. This is how we can achieve social cohesion. But by all means, if there are workers that UK needs or students wishing to benefit from our education system, or partners who are GENUINELY wanting to marry a British citizen, then by all means they can come here and live as immigrant.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.