The Student Room Group

If firearms were legal, would you own one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Stinkum
Probably get a mini 14 and an M60.

Are you a member of the A-Team?
Original post by imaginewizard
And that is very bad weapon handling. You never point a weapon at anyone you're not planning to shoot. Even if the weapon was unloaded and safety off and your finger was off the trigger. You ALWAYS treat a weapon as if it's loaded and ready to fire.

No you don't, how are you supposed to clean a gun when you are treating it as if it is loaded? You would never look down the barrel to check if it was clean, constantly in fear of having your head blown off.
Original post by Andy98
There are loopholes. I think you have to have a licence but they are legal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Under one loop hole this is considered a rifle.

I'd get a Musket :wink:
Reply 64
Original post by DiddyDec

Yup

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd own a Magnum and use it to vanquish my enemies.
I just looked at one of the links someone posted and the price of a glock was £690 and the lowest calibre bolt action rifle was £630. I wouldn't spend that much money on something i'll never use
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
I just looked at one of the links someone posted and the price of a glock was £690 and the lowest calibre bolt action rifle was £630. I wouldn't spend that much money on something i'll never use

£95 for a cheap bolt action. I don't know where you were looking for a rifle.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/BSA_Rifle_For-Sale_100303134805000
Absolutely not, obviously I'd hope to never be in a situation where it may be useful and even then I wouldn't be sure that I could trust myself to use it properly.
Original post by Arithmeticae
Yes

Micro Uzi, discreet enough so you don't get into situations where people will see you have a gun and jump you, but quick and powerful enough for when it's needed :colone:

Original post by yo radical one
I would so get an Uzi :sexface:

What's so good about an Uni?
Reply 70
Original post by tes1996
I think you mean shooting.
To hunt, one needs horses and hounds.

Yes he uses hounds.
Reply 71
Glock 22, because .40SW is the boss.
Original post by bertstare
For all practical purposes they are not. Try buying a handgun and tell me how far you get

Most guns are legal provided you have a legitimate use and a license. As I remember it, the number of licensed gun owners in the UK is in the high hundreds of thousands. That probably goes just over a million when you include low power airguns, which you don't need a license for (so are excluded from licensing figures). You'd be surprised how many people shoot.

And actually, while I'm not sure how simple the process is, you are allowed to have a handgun for humane dispatch of deer, and some deer stalkers do this.

My dad has a few guns on license, and I will probably get a license at some point. Dad has a 12 bore shotgun, a 20 bore shotgun, a .410 shotgun, a .22 rifle and a few others I'm not sure about.
Reply 73
Original post by RFowler
Most guns are legal provided you have a legitimate use and a license. As I remember it, the number of licensed gun owners in the UK is in the high hundreds of thousands. That probably goes just over a million when you include low power airguns, which you don't need a license for (so are excluded from licensing figures). You'd be surprised how many people shoot.

And actually, while I'm not sure how simple the process is, you are allowed to have a handgun for humane dispatch of deer, and some deer stalkers do this.

My dad has a few guns on license, and I will probably get a license at some point. Dad has a 12 bore shotgun, a 20 bore shotgun, a .410 shotgun, a .22 rifle and a few others I'm not sure about.

I knew they were legal if you had a legitimate use, but I was not aware that target shooting at a gun club constituted legitimate use. Pretty interesting, will defo be buying a gun or two in future
Original post by bertstare
Cmon dont **** about, surely that is 100% illegal here

They are legal, as long as you have a section 1 firearms certificate.
Also you need to get the local government to approve that you have a gun cabinet and an ammo one(must be separated).
Finally register 5 guns you would like to have and the reason for it. i.e. I want a 50 BMG(its legal by the way) because I want to to very big game hunting. Then if you get approved you can buy it.

Mostly 22 lr is what they would usually recommend. Finally for self loading rifles(semi auto), you can only own 22 lr :frown:.

So if you do want to get an AR15 like rifle, you have to get a 22 lr. Otherwise bolt action 223...
Original post by pinejuice
i personally dont think civilians should have guns there no real reason to have one.

There are plenty of real reasons to have one. Lots of people in the UK go shooting for sport, you can't exactly do that without a gun.
Reply 76
Original post by DiddyDec

No, it really isn't. There's no such thing as a loophole in this context.

It would be defined firstly as a revolver due to the chambers; rather than the barrel length.

Second, it would be prohibited as a self-loading rifled gun not chambered for .22. The CPS make special provision for firearms that try to pass off as different classes.
Reply 77
Legal here to carry. :gangster:
Reply 78
Original post by Clip
Are you a member of the A-Team?

Nope! Just a concerned citizen :smile:
Original post by Clip
No, it really isn't. There's no such thing as a loophole in this context.

It would be defined firstly as a revolver due to the chambers; rather than the barrel length.

Second, it would be prohibited as a self-loading rifled gun not chambered for .22. The CPS make special provision for firearms that try to pass off as different classes.

This is counted as a "long barreled" pistol which comes under a FAC. Also it is not self loading in this case which allows it to be chambered to a .357.

Also it is counted as a legal firearm as it has a barrel of 30cm and overall length of 60 cm as set out by the Firearms Act 1968 Section 5 (aba).

Any long-barreled pistols with dimensions greater than those stipulated in section 5(1)(aba) of the 1968 Act (such as the long barreled Uberti Cattleman revolver) are not caught by
this section of the Act and may legally be held on a firearm certificate.

Sources: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/329845/GuideFirearmsLicensingLawJune14.pdf

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/5

Quick Reply

Latest