Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New Thor is a woman, it's a great day for feminism. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob Lawrence)
    True, but I don't see why that matters? When i say traditional fans I mean people who read the comics regardless of age. PS Marvell was 'the in thing' in the 50s, 60s and 70s, although it was a small comic niche in the 40s
    I really don't care if Marvel changes its comics to suit its readership. If black and female comic readers like the changes then so be it. What i do hate though is people who demand change when they dot read them themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    I really don't care if Marvel changes its comics to suit its readership. If black and female comic readers like the changes then so be it. What i do hate though is people who demand change when they dot read them themselves
    But why not create new characters? IDC about the colour tbh, gender and colour are two separate things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    a sidekick to thor is the vice-lead character and that's the second best thing in the series as far as this goes; thor is an effin' tough-ass manly man. this is like making hulk hogan into a woman, or making sasha grey into a dude - you can't just flip these kinds of switches...I'm not implying that women shouldn't be super heroes at all, I'm saying that *thor* is not a woman for god's sake and making him into one is radically ridiculous
    To clarify, Thor is not having a sex change. As for the strength, that all comes from his hammer. His hammer is the source of all his powers, and can only be lifted by one who is worthy. Thor died and this women took up his hammer as one who is worthy.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the idea, there is nothing wrong with strong women at all, infact I would want my future wife/daughter/s to b strong independent women! But come on *in an italian american accent* ..... Thors a guy, why ruin what is a great thing. Make a new superhero who is female, give Black widow a bigger part in the films, but don't f*** with Thor.

Marvell are doing this to try and widen their audience but in doing so have alienated all their traditional fans. NOT HAPPY!
    Thor is staying a guy. It's just a woman is taking up the mantle. Which several women have done before.

Rogue, Storm, Black Widow, Wonder Woman have all wielded the 'power of Thor.' Thor was turned into a woman in Earth X previously. All this one is getting is his name. They're hardly alienating fans when they've done a similar thing before.

ReputationRep:
    Tits of doom!

ReputationRep:
    Because

Name:  3281476519_3b2b2c7647_o.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  272.9 KB

this

Name:  EarthX_05_Cover.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  81.5 KB

has

Name:  Natasha Romanov BLACK Widow Thor 2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  150.2 KB

never been

Name:  Rogue_(Anna_Marie)_(Earth-941066).jpg
Views: 58
Size:  198.4 KB

done before.

Name:  tumblr_inline_n8u2xwoqCF1s6ouf3.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  174.5 KB

Thor is not a woman, he is not getting a sex change. He'll still be around, this is no difference except they're changing his name to a mantle. Like Batman, and how more than one person has been Batman.

New Thor:

Name:  thor-unworthy.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  44.6 KB

This isn't about feminism, it's about creating new stories, interesting stories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    making thor a woman is ****ing silly, I'm sorry
    if they made a female thor-ish character to be the sidekick that wouldn't be bad, but making a big strong macho-man into a woman...jesus christ
    what's next? the hulk will get a sex change operation?
    Lady sif from the Thor movies is pretty badass, they should've focused on her

ReputationRep:
    what the **** is this bull****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    ye doesn't make sense if they're setting it in the past with it all steam punky.
    Steampunk is based on Victorian style. Victorian times were in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    Rejoice :parrot::parrot::party2::party2::party2::party::party::party::party::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::pd::pd::penguin::penguin:
    nice double d's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Steampunk is based on Victorian style. Victorian times were in the past.
    you missed the point of my post. I was agreeing that having a black captain america in that time period would be weird. Seeing as there was still a lot of racism towards black people during that time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't normally mind female versions of male characters, but I associate Thor (the god) with being male so much it feels wrong. The Thor filsm and avengers assemble were crap anyway so I don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    She should be named Thora
    or whor
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Can't say I'm a fan of this sort of stuff really, but seriously, wtf is going on with this, madness :lolwut:
    This, you will find, is Rule 63:
    For every given male character, there is a female version of that character.
    For every given female character, there is a male version of that character."

Rejoice :parrot::parrot::party2::party2::party2::party::party::party::party::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::pd::pd::penguin::penguin:
    And there has been rule 63 for Thor for rather a long time.

ReputationRep:
    But why not create new characters? IDC about the colour tbh, gender and colour are two separate things
    Im thinking the same thing

ReputationRep:
    Just doesn't make sense to me. Thor is a guy you can't change that, it's not like he was invented by marvel he's a traditional god from hundreds of years ago and they should respect that. Tbh though as long as they leave Chris Hemsworth in the movies I don't care, don't think many people read comics anymore anyway.
    As for a black captain America I don't see many problems with that, I think it will be difficult to explain how a black man was chosen for the experiment in that time in Americas history but if they can get around that I expect he'll be pretty cool.

Edit: also instead of a female thor why not just use Sif?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A situation where a female can live of the prior success of a man, a true victory for female equality. I'm sure she will be flat chested and there will be no references made to her as a physical object.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusieShire)
    She-Hulk has been around since 1980...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Hulk
    A female Thor is a bad idea. Almost if not as retarded as having a woman in command of the proposed new series of Dad's Army. Seriously, the politically correct tools in charge of the New Thor should go drink some bleach.

ReputationRep:
    we are breaking the patriarchy.
    How is this breaking the patriarchy? If anything it's a woman deriving power from a man... why not create a new super-heroine?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.