The Student Room Group

PL Final Table Predictions 14-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muriel Bing
Other than his spell at Spurs he's not done an awful lot. If he was such a good manager he would have walked the Championship last season with the players and resources he had. As for Leicester, I think the defence will be our downfall if we get relegated, scoring goals shouldn't be an issue (I hope).
I don't really follow the championship but yeah QPR could of done better and Leicester I don't really know too much about them
Reply 61
Original post by ArchieMarhall
I can see where your coming from, both teams have great players, both teams have great managers so it will be close I wont doubt that but with wide variety of players Chelsea have they are all of good quality and out number city's squad

Yeah it will be very close, although I think City's players are capable of doing everything Chelsea's can do and more. Chelsea don't have a midfielder capable of achieving what Yaya Toure achieved last season. Also if Aguero remains fit I have no doubt that he will be the leagues top goalscorer after missing out the last two years to RVP and Suarez due to injuries. If Negredo can find his form again then city will be unstoppable with the attacking options they have.

I think the only area City need to improve is their defence. Demichellis finished last season well but I don't think he'll be able to maintain that performance throughout the whole of next season. City should bring in another CB to play alongside Kompany.

They've also bought Caballero. He's not as good as Hart, but he's definitely better than Pantillimon so maybe he'll put more pressure on Hart's first team position and cause Hart to improve.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a City fan)
Original post by jacobt96
Yeah it will be very close, although I think City's players are capable of doing everything Chelsea's can do and more. Chelsea don't have a midfielder capable of achieving what Yaya Toure achieved last season. Also if Aguero remains fit I have no doubt that he will be the leagues top goalscorer after missing out the last two years to RVP and Suarez due to injuries. If Negredo can find his form again then city will be unstoppable with the attacking options they have.

I think the only area City need to improve is their defence. Demichellis finished last season well but I don't think he'll be able to maintain that performance throughout the whole of next season. City should bring in another CB to play alongside Kompany.

They've also bought Caballero. He's not as good as Hart, but he's definitely better than Pantillimon so maybe he'll put more pressure on Hart's first team position and cause Hart to improve.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a City fan)

I'm not a city fan either as you've more than likely guessed and I agree a solid centre back like boating, felipe Santana or hummels
Reply 63
Did man just call Felipe Santana a solid CB?

Is this FIFA?
I honestly think City will win it again. A lot of people are saying that Chelsea will win the league purely based on the signings that they've made this summer, but do City really need to make any major signings with the squad that they have? I don't think so.

Diego Costa had a good season in the BBVA last season (much easier league than the Premier League) although when I've watched him in major games he's hardly scored or contributed at all (Champions League, World Cup)

As for Fabregas, he's played in the league before so he knows what's what, but I don't think his style of play really suits Chelsea. Fabregas is good at slowing down play and holding the ball in midfield, whereas Chelsea generally play quick counter attacking football.

:lolwut: Costa scored 8 goals in 9 Champions League appearances last season. I don't think you can factor in any performances for any Spanish player in the World Cup because the majority did terribly.

Also, La Liga is not a 'much easier' league than the Premier League. The standard and quality of teams is on par if not greater than the Premier League.
Reply 65
Original post by h3isenberg
:lolwut: Costa scored 8 goals in 9 Champions League appearances last season.

But in the later stages of the Champions League when all the **** teams had been knocked out and they were actually playing good teams Costa didn't do much at all. He scored one goal against a decent team (Chelsea) and that was a penalty.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 66
But in the later stages of the Champions League when all the **** teams had been knocked out and they were actually playing good teams Costa didn't do much at all

Like scoring the winner vs Milan?

When he got to the quarter finals onwards he was clearly injured as well.

But carry on making statements out your arse please do.

He also scored the winner vs Madrid at the Bernabeu.
Reply 67
Original post by jam278
Like scoring the winner vs Milan?

Like I said, he scored against the **** teams, or are you going to try and tell me Milan are good?
Reply 68
Like I said, he scored against the **** teams, or are you going to try and tell me Milan are good?

And he was injured vs all the other big teams in the latter phase of the season but you're selectively having amnesia.

Also Costa scored the winner vs Madrid at the Bernabeu and scored in the Copa del rey final vs Madrid at the Bernabeu the previous season.

He's a big game player but using games when he's not fit is poor game. :rolleyes:

You just happened to watch him near the end of the season when he was clearly injured for the final 2 months.
But in the later stages of the Champions League when all the **** teams had been knocked out and they were actually playing good teams Costa didn't do much at all. He scored one goal against a decent team (Chelsea) and that was a penalty.

Suarez scored one goal against the 'top 4' last season (City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea), is he **** too then?
Reply 70
Suarez scored one goal against the 'top 4' last season (City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea), is he **** too then?

I'd love for you to show me where I called Diego Costa ****.
I'd love for you to show me where I called Diego Costa ****.

You said in the games you saw he 'hardly contributed at all' which by deduction means he was crappy
Reply 72
You said in the games you saw he 'hardly contributed at all' which by deduction means he was crappy

Against the big teams in the CL he didn't do anything. In the world cup he didn't do anything. That's all I said. I never claimed that he wasn't a good player.
Against the big teams in the CL he didn't do anything. In the world cup he didn't do anything. That's all I said. I never claimed that he wasn't a good player.

Your whole argument was that Chelsea wouldn't win the league because they haven't made great title winning signings in Costa and Fabregas.
Reply 74
Your whole argument was that Chelsea wouldn't win the league because they haven't made great title winning signings in Costa and Fabregas.

My argument was that Chelsea wouldn't win the league because they've signed players who've played well in different leagues, but haven't played in the Premier League (other than Fabregas). Their signings could play awful in the Premier League (e.g. Soldado scored 30+ goals two seasons ago, moved to Spurs and turned to ****). City have a world class squad of players who have already proven themselves in the Premier League by winning the title twice in the last three seasons.
My argument was that Chelsea wouldn't win the league because they've signed players who've played well in different leagues, but haven't played in the Premier League (other than Fabregas). Their signings could play awful in the Premier League (e.g. Soldado scored 30+ goals two seasons ago, moved to Spurs and turned to ****). City have a world class squad of players who have already proven themselves in the Premier League by winning the title twice in the last three seasons.

They've signed 4 senior players, half of them have played in the Premier League before, other half are from the second best performing team in Europe which outplayed Chelsea. Your bias towards City is obvious :lol:

Chelsea would have won the Premier League last season if they had a potent striker, they dropped points at home to Norwich, Sunderland, West Ham, West Brom.

That's a rubbish argument anyway. Loads of players come from different leagues and perform well in debut seasons, strikers for example:

Torres scored 30 goals
Aguero scored 30 goals
Hernandez scored 20 goals
Bony scored 25 goals
Negredo scored 23 goals

Soldado scored a goal every 3 games which is hardly ****, he wasn't accustomed to playing as a lone striker.
Reply 76
They've signed 4 senior players, half of them have played in the Premier League before, other half are from the second best performing team in Europe which outplayed Chelsea. Your bias towards City is obvious :lol:

Chelsea would have won the Premier League last season if they had a potent striker, they dropped points at home to Norwich, Sunderland, West Ham, West Brom.

That's a rubbish argument anyway. Loads of players come from different leagues and perform well in debut seasons, strikers for example:

Torres scored 30 goals
Aguero scored 30 goals
Hernandez scored 20 goals
Bony scored 25 goals
Negredo scored 23 goals

Soldado scored a goal every 3 games which is hardly ****, he wasn't accustomed to playing as a lone striker.

I'm an Arsenal fan so If I was going to be bias towards any team it would be Arsenal.

There's no way that you can prove Chelsea would have won the league if the had a better striker. Having a better striker could of had a huge impact on the rest of the team, they may have conceded more because they were playing more attacking blah blah blah.

It's a valid argument. Loads of players come to the BPL and do good. There's also loads that come to the BPL and do ****.
Reply 77
1. Arsenal
2. Manchester City
3. Chelsea
4. Manchester United
5. Liverpool
6. Everton
7. Tottenham Hotspur
8. Newcastle
9. Hull City
10. Sunderland
11. Stoke City