The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Didn't do as well as you hoped? Advice here! 21 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fluffystar123
Wow those are really good subjects and also challenging. You must be really smart :u: Sorry for so many questions, but what are you planning to study at Uni and are you currently in Year 12? And is economics challenging at Alevel too?

No lol, I only just got my Gcse's as well. But sixth forms don't require A star in everything to study A levels. Economics is I suppose, I don't know, but my teacher for gcse said I would be good at a level, that and I enjoy it.
I want to go to the London school of economics but I don't think my gcse's are enough. As for being smart, just average I suppose...didn't get any A * so I can't be that smart lol.
Original post by Billylstone
No lol, I only just got my Gcse's as well. But sixth forms don't require A star in everything to study A levels. Economics is I suppose, I don't know, but my teacher for gcse said I would be good at a level, that and I enjoy it.
I want to go to the London school of economics but I don't think my gcse's are enough. As for being smart, just average I suppose...didn't get any A * so I can't be that smart lol.

Oh ok cool :smile: I just got my gcse's as well. LSE is a great option you should go for it :biggrin: Anyways good luck for Sixth form next year!
Oh ok cool :smile: I just got my gcse's as well. LSE is a great option you should go for it :biggrin: Anyways good luck for Sixth form next year!

You to :smile:
Hi all, I was wondering if anybody knows if I could realistically get in to a top uni for economics (e.g. LSE, Oxbridge, UCL, other Russell Group Unis etc.) with a grade B at GCSE English Language?
The rest of my GCSE's are as follows:
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A* with Distinction
Biology - A*
Physics* - A*
Chemistry - A*
History - A*
Economics & Business Studies - A*
Spanish - A*
Geography - A
Eng Lit - C (one of my papers was, very strangely, not marked for some reason - waiting for news from OCR about what happened, then will probably get a remark. All the other papers and units for Eng Lit were marked A*, and one B)
Hey, I got my GCSEs yesterday and I got good grades,(10A*/A grades with the majority of the 10 being A*s).

However in the last of my 11 gcses I got a C in literature ( the school placed their entire focus on language, giving everyone C/D literature coursework). I will be aiming to study economics at a top university, does anyone know whether this C will have any effect on my aplication to some of the stricter of the universities? Or whether they will just see the other gcses overshadow this one anomaly?
Original post by Billylstone
You to :smile:

I dont mean to be nosy... but how did you do in GCSE's?
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
I dont mean to be nosy... but how did you do in GCSE's?

Maths-A
Economics-B
Re-A
Literature-A
Language-A
Graphics-B
Science Core-C
Additional Science-B
Hey, I was just wondering are grades good enough for Medicine? I was hoping UEA, Imperial or Queen Mary's?
Maths-A
Biology-B
Chemistry-A
Physics-A
English-B
English Literature-A
Business Studies-B
History-A
R.E-A
Statistics-A
German-B
In total: (7As and 4Bs)
Any reply would be fantastic :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by tomroberts12
I got 3a*s in maths bio and chem, 5a and 4b

Would that be good enough for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely - have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_school_gcse_requirements

You'll need to apply wisely though. For example, you'll want to avoid the ones that like lots of A*'s at GCSE (Birmingham, Edinburgh, Oxford etc.).
Original post by Purpleant
Hi, well I got my gcse results yesterday and I'm really disappointed and I was wondering if there would still be a chance for me to be come a graphic interior designer.
Art - B
Science Core - C
Science Additional - C
Religious Education - A
English Literature - B
Mathematics - C
English Language - D
Geography - D
French - D

I'm going to retake English but I wanted to know would I still be able to go university with grades like this or would I be able to become a graphic interior designer.
I just needed 8 to be able to the courses I wanted now it's probably impossible.😩

You will need to retake English to get it to at least a grade C then uni could be an option for you. :smile:

Original post by AJ9898
Wondering if these results are good enough for law at Oxbridge or a Russel Group uni?

A* English lit
A English lang (could go up to A*)
A* Maths
A* Latin
A* Ancient Greek
A Additional Maths (A is max)
A Physics
A Chemistry
A History
A* French
A* German
A* Classical Civilisation
A* Biology

I just wonder if 4 As is too many to be able to get into oxbridge?

(All boards were IGCSE apart from OCR for: add. maths, latin, greek and class civ. and then AQA for history)

Thanks for any advice

They're great results and are fine for Russel Group uni's! :biggrin:

What course are you thinking about applying for?

Original post by Facilli
I just received my results, I got 6 a*, 5 a, and 1 b. Are these results good enough to get into medical school with? I would've liked a few more a*s to be fair...

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're absolutely fine - have a look at the link I posted above. :smile:

Original post by Stressedgirl129
I got a C in gcse eng language would cambridge still accept me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course are you thinking about applying for?

You may wish to post a new thread in the Cambridge forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=15 to get the best advice. :smile:

Original post by dennisthemenaced
Hey, I was just wondering are grades good enough for Medicine? I was hoping UEA, Imperial or Queen Mary's?
Maths-A
Biology-B
Chemistry-A
Physics-A
English-B
English Literature-A
Business Studies-B
History-A
R.E-A
Statistics-A
German-B
In total: (7As and 4Bs)
Any reply would be fantastic :smile:

Have a look at this link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_school_gcse_requirements

It is possible, but you'll need to apply wisely. :smile:
Reply 70
Oh, great, thanks! Well I was hoping to do law at Oxford which is why I'm a bit worried
Hi, i was really hoping someone could help me out, i'm seriously doubting myself and i need some advice, I would really appreciate if anyone answered

I got my gcse results yesterday and i wasn't thrilled about them but i was happy about them, because i though i did okay

i got:

A*- Arts and Design
A- English Language
A- English Literature
A- Geography
A- Physics
A- Chemistry
B- Biology
B-Maths
B- French
Merit (equivalent to B)- I.C.T compulsory course

I'm going to the sixth form of my choice but at Enrolment the careers adviser said "there's absolutely no one you will ever get into medicine, so lets not even think about that right now, it's not for you"
tbh i already knew that but it was just put so harshly that it knocked my confidence. I asked him about dentistry and he said that biology might be a problem and that i should look into other career options.

I know that gcses' play a huge role in qualifying for medicine but i did my research and according to the 'Medical School GCSE Requirements' page on the student room, i still meet the minimal requirements of 19 universities. So I was wondering that if I do really well in my A-Levels (Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, Art & Design) and have lots of work experience and good UKCAT score etc, will I have a chance to compensate for my gcse results.
Original post by syed__ahmed786
Hi all, I was wondering if anybody knows if I could realistically get in to a top uni for economics (e.g. LSE, Oxbridge, UCL, other Russell Group Unis etc.) with a grade B at GCSE English Language?
The rest of my GCSE's are as follows:
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A* with Distinction
Biology - A*
Physics* - A*
Chemistry - A*
History - A*
Economics & Business Studies - A*
Spanish - A*
Geography - A
Eng Lit - C (one of my papers was, very strangely, not marked for some reason - waiting for news from OCR about what happened, then will probably get a remark. All the other papers and units for Eng Lit were marked A*, and one B)

I would check individual university's requirements for GCSE but from where I've been applying this year (admittedly for natsci not economics) they want a C as a minimum in English. Of course you're a year if not more off applying and they seem to be constantly changing what they want.
I would wait to hear back from OCR on your Eng lit paper before getting worried about it though.
Your results are really amazing though good luck next year :biggrin:
Hi everybody!
Got my GCSE Grades:smile:!!! Got two A's, three B's and two C's.
I wanted to do music at A Level, but only got a D. :frown: Not very happy.
Anybody have any ideas on retaking it?
Where would you suggest?
Many Thanks
Bookworm John

P.S. What do you think of Rachmanioff's Vocalise?
Hi I just got my results. :smile:
I'm in year 10 and I did some exams- core science and statistics. I'm really happy with my science result, but for stats I got an A and on the paper it said 179 was my total mark. (I'm assuming that's the UMS mark)
I checked the Edexcel grade boundaries and for the cash in grade boundaries 180 = A*

I'm thinking of getting the paper remarked but is it worth it?? And does anyone know how I could find out how much marks
is one ums for this paper?

My teacher said my controlled assessment would get an A but I actually got a B for it and I think that's what got my grade down since I got an a* in the exam.

Sorry I'm sort of confused about all this :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thatusername
Hi I just got my results. :smile:
I'm in year 10 and I did some exams- core science and statistics. I'm really happy with my science result, but for stats I got an A and on the paper it said 179 was my total mark. (I'm assuming that's the UMS mark)
I checked the Edexcel grade boundaries and for the cash in grade boundaries 180 = A*

I'm thinking of getting the paper remarked but is it worth it?? And does anyone know how I could find out how much marks
is one ums for this paper?

My teacher said my controlled assessment would get an A but I actually got a B for it and I think that's what got my grade down since I got an a* in the exam.

Sorry I'm sort of confused about all this :frown:

Hello, 1 mark will at least be 1 ums so you don't have to worry about that, i would definitely advise a remark as your overall grade cannot go down :h: you can organise this as soon as you return to school by speaking to your exams officer :smile:
Original post by techno836
Hello, 1 mark will at least be 1 ums so you don't have to worry about that, i would definitely advise a remark as your overall grade cannot go down :h: you can organise this as soon as you return to school by speaking to your exams officer :smile:

Thanks so much! Yep I'll make sure I do that :smile:
Reply 77
I know most people say that GCSEs hardly matter to Universities except for Oxbridge and Medicine/Dentistry but how good are these:

Mathematics: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
English Language: A
General Studies: A
German: B
Further Mathematics: B
History: B
English Literature: B

ICT: Distinction

I'm quite annoyed I didn't get a single A* overall as I always did in my mocks for Biology, Chemistry and sometimes Physics but my ISA grades just dropped like a stone :frown:
Reply 78
Original post by Ozzin
I know most people say that GCSEs hardly matter to Universities except for Oxbridge and Medicine/Dentistry but how good are these:

Mathematics: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
English Language: A
General Studies: A
German: B
Further Mathematics: B
History: B
English Literature: B

ICT: Distinction

I'm quite annoyed I didn't get a single A* overall as I always did in my mocks for Biology, Chemistry and sometimes Physics but my ISA grades just dropped like a stone :frown:

They're great grades! :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by Earth1
Hi, I am also international student (I think or may i am not but i hold as thai and british citizenship)
Yout results are looking good :smile:
What course do you want to do in term of further education?
How long have you live in the Uk?

Oh no, I don't live in UK. I gave the IGCSEs, from Bangladesh, now that I think about it..I am not sure if I was supposed to post IGCSE results in this thread actually...Damn

Quick Reply

Latest