Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    No, because it will haul major costs onto smaller companies (potentially shutting them), makes no allowance for malfunction and takes no account of humidity. Rigid guidelines like this are stupid for the reasons outlined above.

If you can't be arsed to complain then it clearly isn't that bad. Arguably that sets the limit by itself. 'Reasonable' is defined as the temperature below the threshold where employees complain, by the current system.
    Actually i've changed my mind and agree. HSE seems to document everything that an act could.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. The bill is admirable in it's efforts but too rigid. Exceptions must be made for some factories such as iron producers where iron ore must be heated to extremely high temperatures in blast furnaces which can naturally affect the temperature where the workers are. This is just one example where the bill would be near impossible to implement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    Nay, government should not legislate on this sort of thing. A sensible company however already does this.
    As above. Also Jarred makes good points about the weather never actually being that hot here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    'Nay'.

Working in an office one can buy a fan. Working in a factory, you can already go to a tribunal if you think your being mistreated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    'Nay'.

Working in an office one can buy a fan.
    Pfft - not always.

Some employers will not allow you to use your own electrical equipment. In which case, you have to request that your employer purchase a fan for you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Pfft - not always.

Some employers will not allow you to use your own electrical equipment. In which case, you have to request that your employer purchase a fan for you.
    That solves the problem. Thus negating the need for this bill.

One can seek advise from many sources if the request is rejected and the employee feels conditions are insufferable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    That solves the problem. Thus negating the need for this bill.

One can seek advise from many sources if the request is rejected and the employee feels conditions are insufferable.
    Well, the key word was request. Your employer might say no - like my old one did. Apparently they had loads of fans but had given them all out. I knew someone who went out with a girl in Facilities - imagine how outraged I was to discover that she had managed to procure a fan for his desk.

Anyway - I was just pointing out that it isn't as easy as just bringing your own fan in.

I like the idea of this bill. However I just feel that it is a bit simplistic - a factory casting iron will be held to the same standard as one making flat pack furniture. If there is a way of getting around this, I'd be fairly supportive...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.