Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie543)
    Wow, that is quick. Is the teacher in the class when you do this? Observing and giving feedback? How are you finding behaviour management?
    Sorry for all these questions!!
    Yep the teacher is in the class with me, so is there for support should I need it. Behaviour management isn't too bad, but we do have a lovely class and are in a lovely school so all the children are pretty well behaved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellylaugh)
    Yep the teacher is in the class with me, so is there for support should I need it. Behaviour management isn't too bad, but we do have a lovely class and are in a lovely school so all the children are pretty well behaved!
    That sounds really good. You must feel great Do you get given a mentor at the school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie543)
    That sounds really good. You must feel great Do you get given a mentor at the school?
    Yep, usually your mentor is the class teacher who you're with although this isn't always the case. Also, you'll be observing/assisting other teachers as well as your mentor.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, usually your mentor is the class teacher who you're with although this isn't always the case. Also, you'll be observing/assisting other teachers as well as your mentor.
    Oh okay, lovely. Well, thanks for all your info and insight, it has been really useful! X

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the SD (SCITT) tuition-fee placement and loving it. They say to be doing 9-12 hrs a week by Xmas, so I'm building up to this slowly. I have only a few months classroom experience as a volunteer, so it's quite a shocker. But I think people who want to be teachers really feel it in their bones. Their tired, achy bones! You really will work dog hard during the year, but it makes you much more prepared for NQT than the PGCE route does.

Sometimes you can feel a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of work. But you need to remember that doing it all probably is impossible, but anything you will do has value. There is no such thing as wasted time in school on a SCITT.

I don't think I have been as stressed out as some of my cohort. Maybe it is because I have transferred to teaching from a very stressful medical career? When you keep things in perspective, they don't get to you so much. I take the work seriously and get everything done to my best ability, but don't let yourself get burnt out. Pace yourself! Be kind to yourself! That's my best advice.

Besides having the patience and passion, you need to be very organised. But not so organised that you're looking months into the future and having a meltdown thinking about all the work you've got to do!

I'm glad I waited until I was more mature to tackle this career. You need a lot of balance to succeed. Chin up, everyone! 8)

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, hope you don't mind another question from a prospective applicant!
    Was just wondering if any of you can reassure me that this can be done whilst still remaining a great parent to your own children.
    My children will be in reception and Y3 when I start in 2015 & I just worry about spending all my time on planning etc when I also need to value family time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pineapple pie)
    Was just wondering if any of you can reassure me that this can be done whilst still remaining a great parent to your own children.
    My children will be in reception and Y3 when I start in 2015 & I just worry about spending all my time on planning etc when I also need to value family time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll be honest with you, it is a LOT of work. My child is in bed by 7pm every night so I spend the rest of the evening working - and quite a few hours at the weekend. I think if you have children, you just have to be even more organised, as time is so precious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pineapple pie)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi,
    I have four children between 11 and 5 and I am on the SD route.
    Tonight I attended an open evening at their school and left work early with my mentor's permission. I've just had tea with them and now we are sitting around the table while three eldest do a bit of homework and the youngest colours and sticks.
    It's not the norm for this to happen, but it's not rare either! I have all day Saturday free to do things with them and I am always back for teatime. I work when they are in bed and some of the day on Sunday.

It's definitely doable!

Now, back to my kids! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both for replying. I guess I'm just panicking. You read so much about the heavy workload. Just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing but don't suppose I'll know that until I try it.
    It will be a huge change as I currently work 20 hours a week and did my degree whilst working these hours. I easily managed that, but to do a PGCE whilst full time is a big step up with regards to time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the information everyone! I went to a talk about Schools Direct the other day and had been a bit put off by the whole 'getting thrown in at the deep end' part as I don't have that much experience. I assumed from day one you had to get up and teach straight away, but if you have a few weeks to prepare whilst observing it's not AS bad. As daunting as it is teaching 8-12 hours a week after a few weeks it seems you have the right kind of support so it's definitely a route I may well apply to.

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone getting on? How you all feeling about going back to school tomorrow? I've spent most of the week working but feel like I'm now organised and up-to-date with all (well most) of my paperwork!

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone getting on? How you all feeling about going back to school tomorrow? I've spent most of the week working but feel like I'm now organised and up-to-date with all (well most) of my paperwork!
    Hi,
    I'm doing ok! I've done all my school-based work that I wanted to do, and about half of the uni work. Wish I had it all done, but hey, I have a life too! Just took my youngest daughter to a birthday party and sat on my own reading articles for my assignment! Gonna have no friends left soon!
    Looking forward to tomorrow, it's a training day so no teaching. Being observed on Wednesday - slightly nervous. Have prepped the best I can though and it will be nice to get some official feedback.

I am, like you, feeling a lot more organised now I've time to sort things out and get on top of stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an interview coming up and I wondered if I could pick your brains as you've been through the process. Years ago I went to a PGCE interview (realised it wasn't for me at the time) and I remember needing to take a portfolio. What did you take to your interviews?

In the invite it says: School Tour, Presentation (them to me), Audits followed by a 20-30 minute interview. This seems quite straightforward in comparison to what others have described.

Next week I have also been invited to a tour of a school/meet leaders prior to their shortlisting that afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm starting my school direct training in August at a junior school in Nottingham. The school I am going to is lovely and the school direct trainee there already, who i met on the day of my interview, absolutely loves the school so i'm really looking forward to it!

I was just wondering if anybody could give me any tips? Anything you wish you would have done differently? What do you recommend doing over the summer to prepare? What's a typical day like? DO YOU STILL HAVE A LIFE!? Haha!

I'd like as best idea as possible before I start, so thank you in advance for ANY response!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, so it's April and you are all in your final term!
    I am starting SD in Sept this year so have been following lots of PGCE / NQT / SD threads.
    How ard you all getting on? Has the programme been as expected? Any shocks along the way?
    Any of you applied for jobs yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Back to it tomorrow. Last day of freedom!
    its a busy week for me as I am teaching all day Tuesday and Thursday and I have an interview ( lesson ob) on Wednesday eek! The following Wed is the formal interview.
    Have enjoyed the break and have had a rest which is really important as the usual workload is crazy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophsmum)
    Back to it tomorrow. Last day of freedom!
    its a busy week for me as I am teaching all day Tuesday and Thursday and I have an interview ( lesson ob) on Wednesday eek! The following Wed is the formal interview.
    Have enjoyed the break and have had a rest which is really important as the usual workload is crazy!
    Ooh good luck with the interview! Is the lesson obs at your current or potential school? Is it a school you know much about?
    I heard lots of people say it's important to take a break. It makes sense but I imagine it's difficult sometimes.
    What age group do you teach?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The interview is an hour long lesson ob in year 1! I'm absolutely terrified!
    The school is local to me so would be very handy! I have been teaching in year 2 and year 3 at my placement school as my fellow student and I both needed key stage 1 experience. We have had to do 2 days teaching in each year group. When I go back I will be based just in year 3. The workload is crazy so you need to try and have a break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophsmum)
    The interview is an hour long lesson ob in year 1! I'm absolutely terrified!
    The school is local to me so would be very handy! I have been teaching in year 2 and year 3 at my placement school as my fellow student and I both needed key stage 1 experience. We have had to do 2 days teaching in each year group. When I go back I will be based just in year 3. The workload is crazy so you need to try and have a break.
    Wow: an hour is a pretty long time to be observed isn't it?
    Have you been told what they want you to teach?
    I am doing EY SD (3-7) and all my experience to date is with EYFS so I think I will be based in Y1 and Y2 also when I start in Sept x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's a really long lesson ob for an interview. I can choose literacy or numeracy. I'm doing literacy. I've not taught in year one at either of my placements but I did TA in year 1 but for some reason my mind has gone blank on remembering anything!
    I taught in year 4 at my first placement. Where are you based?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.