Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattvr)
    If I may, I'd like to look at a point, quite possibly overlooked.
    If this was implemented, this WILL NOT physically stop parents having children; if the parents then can't fund the children and their living conditions deteriorate to such an appalling state of squalor, *Social Services WILL be involved, then the case will be looked at and examined, if necessary, the case will be heard in court, and/or the children will be taken into the control of the State, then will remain in the care of the State for some time.
    This will cost a HUGE amount of money to services! Funnily enough, I was shadowing a County Councillor Monday and yesterday (he's also cabinet member for children and young people) and was saying that a child can cost the State as much as £4M through to their 18th Birthday. £4M for a single child. This is, of course, in the most extreme circumstances, but this can happen.
    This Bill (and nor can any credible Government) does not stop people having children. People WILL have children, regardless if they have money. The problem comes when we cancel the smaller spending, and realise that the consequence will be a much greater expenditure than would be to keep the status quo.

Point made.
    The parents already get 8k each to bring up children, why do they need an additional 8k per child?

A 2 child family is 36k, 3 child 44k, a 4 child family is 52k per annum! Having a child is practically a license to print money in TSR land.

All this will do is cap it at 16k per year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    The parents already get 8k each to bring up children, why do they need an additional 8k per child?

A 2 child family is 36k, 3 child 44k, a 4 child family is 52k per annum! Having a child is practically a license to print money in TSR land.

All this will do is cap it at 16k per year.
    Blimey, right, ok, that is rather a large sum of money! That needs to be lowered for the number of successive children, I believe as has been suggested before.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattvr)
    Blimey, right, ok, that is rather a large sum of money! That needs to be lowered for the number of successive children, I believe as has been suggested before.
    Check the government forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Check the government forum.
    I don't quite understand what I'm looking for, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Has the NHS been warned about the rise in birth rates in July and August? Is the NI difference so that everyone is too exhausted with newborns disturbing sleep to bother to parade on July 12th and other parade dates?
    Well, now that the Protestants have stolen our land, the best way to survive is to have lots of children, send them to France to be educated and create a generation of revolutionaries.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    You are a shame . Leave the country in your hands and UK would become US. With the same degree of poverty. DONT YOU GET IT PEOPLE. THE POOR DID NOT **** THINGS UP IN 2008. MEGA-BILLIONAIRES GAMBLED ALL OUR AWAY AND NOW THEY ARE RICHER THAN THEY WERE ACCORDING TO STATS.

UKIP forever lowering standards, even I support child benefit.
      • Wiki Support Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Please stay on topic.

ReputationRep:
      Seriously?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PhysicsKid)
      Seriously?
      In TSRland the following is the Child Benefit+ UI for families:
      A 2 child family is 36k, 3 child 44k, a 4 child family is 52k per annum

That is before income from jobs is taken account of.

ReputationRep:
      In TSRland the following is the Child Benefit+ UI for families:
      A 2 child family is 36k, 3 child 44k, a 4 child family is 52k per annum

That is before income from jobs is taken account of.
      It seemed that this aimed to remove the much less generous real life system. I can see your point, but if your objection is that reproduction equates to undue financial gain, why not campaign for a reduced rate for a second child and a reduced rate for all subsequent children?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PhysicsKid)
      It seemed that this aimed to remove the much less generous real life system. I can see your point, but if your objection is that reproduction equates to undue financial gain, why not campaign for a reduced rate for a second child and a reduced rate for all subsequent children?
      I am if you read the comments on the first page. The intention (of this bill) is not in inline with what I agree with, but the effect of it is. Surely 20k a year is enough already?

ReputationRep:
      I am if you read the comments on the first page. The intention (of this bill) is not in inline with what I agree with, but the effect of it is. Surely 20k a year is enough already?
      That would assume that I agreed with the proposition I made. I am in favour of a universal living allowance for all irrespective of income for all, replacing the £10k tax threshold, but redistributing net thousands to lower income families.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      This is in cessation.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      This has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.