The Trolley Problem - What would you do? Watch

• View Poll Results: Choices.
    Results hidden until poll closes.

ReputationRep:
    Do nothing

I'm not killing someone and saying their life is worth less than the others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    But in a way you are allowing people to be killed. But that's not manslaughter agreed. :/

Oh okay that makes sense.

Really? So if you just walked away from it you wouldn't get into any trouble at all? (Not that I would, this is hypothetical anyway)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if you didnt ring the ambulance and didnt call 999 yes its very likely..

even if yeh questioned yeh you could make up some excuse

a very light sentence at absolute best!!

this sorta thing often happens when gay men get beaten up etc..

its very hard to prove you noticed the body anyways..

dont understand why yeh wouldnt call tho

ReputationRep:
    Let them die. What are they doing on the tracks anyway??
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    if you didnt ring the ambulance and didnt call 999 yes its very likely..

even if yeh questioned yeh you could make up some excuse

a very light sentence at absolute best!!

this sorta thing often happens when gay men get beaten up etc..

its very hard to prove you noticed the body anyways..

dont understand why yeh wouldnt call tho
    That's still awful and surely you'd have the conscience to call anyway. By the time you had left you would feel bad about not calling and you'd start to feel the mental affects of allowing someone/some people be killed.

Some people might do it out of spite (if they knew who was being attached to the rail) so the possible short sentence wouldn't really affect them.

"this sorta thing often happens when gay men get beaten up etc.."-> Why? The persecutor would hopefully be imprisoned and the witness would hopefully call the police etc. Is that it?

I would call of course! I accidentally wrote 'would' instead of 'wouldn't' on the other post.

I really dislike this question.

(Original post by The vampire)
    Let them die. What are they doing on the tracks anyway??
    Oh yeah, we forget to ask why!

But "let them die" isn't nice Vampy!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At least they get to die together, that's nice.

ReputationRep:
    That's still awful and surely you'd have the conscience to call anyway. By the time you had left you would feel bad about not calling and you'd start to feel the mental affects of allowing someone/some people be killed.

Some people might do it out of spite (if they knew who was being attached to the rail) so the possible short sentence wouldn't really affect them.

"this sorta thing often happens when gay men get beaten up etc.."-> Why? The persecutor would hopefully be imprisoned and the witness would hopefully call the police etc. Is that it?

I would call of course! I accidentally wrote 'would' instead of 'wouldn't' on the other post.

I really dislike this question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    most sane people would

in some countries where homosexuals are beaten up many dont stop to help them..as yeh know

im saying im not gonna put my life at risk overly much to save someone I dont know
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Too many posts to read, but I think it's disgusting that most of the posts that I've read in the first two pages (albeit a lot of them by the same people) would take no action, simply because something is already happening. By doing nothing, you are still responsible for the death of 5 rather than one.

Just remember this: with great power, comes great responsibility - no matter if that power was wanted or not. (Spider-man, and what!)

ReputationRep:
    Or you could just shout at them to get off the tracks?

Regardless, why is a trolley on the track? And why are 6 people on the track?

ReputationRep:
    By doing nothing you're at fault for letting 5 people die...

ReputationRep:
    I would unequivocally use the lever to divert the trolleycar onto the track with only one person on it. In total, that's four people's lives saved.

In the 'fat man' variation, I would also push the fat man off the bridge to stop the trolleycar to save the five people.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the trolley back and nick the pound coin...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't pull the lever, and then go and kill the other guy with my fists.

ReputationRep:
    As soon as a scenario occurs where you have the ability to cause an action, regardless of the 'default' outcome without your intervention, you are faced with an active choice.
    You are still making the choice to kill one or to kill five (it is just that the physical mechanism of action is different - whether it be changing the points or leaving them alone).
    By being able to select either outcome, you are just as responsible for option A as you are for option B.

So, faced with such a problem, I'd go with logic, change the points and kill the one person.

The next considerations evoke a more subjective response:

1) the one person being a child and the five being old (say 80s)
    I'd probably kill the five old people: they've had a life, and they've got to the stage where they cannot perform any good for society (assuming they're pensioners). Children will grow up and work. Old people will just die.

2)
    the one being a criminal
    I would kill the criminal. If he was a murderer, it would be for the reason that he's a murderer. If he was a petty thief, it would be for the reason that 1<5.

3) the one having no family and the five married with children or vise versa
    I would have to kill the one with no family: he has fewer people who would be emotionally hurt over his death. He also has no children to provide for - I wouldn't want to **** up someone's family. Also 1<5.

In reality, considering the possible illegality, I probably wouldn't do anything. I'd rather not risk a prosecution for manslaughter. Is there any sort of legal guidance for this scenario?

ReputationRep:
    I am posting this reply instead of helping starving Africans, so I suppose I'm choosing to do nothing; as is everyone who replies to this post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketCiaranJ)
    I am posting this reply instead of helping starving Africans, so I suppose I'm choosing to do nothing; as is everyone who replies to this post.
    Yup! But with that level of distance from the situation, such selfishness isn't really condemnable. If there are people about to die right in front of you, and you and ONLY you can save them - I think the situation carries some more gravitas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danconway)
    Yup! But with that level of distance from the situation, such selfishness isn't really condemnable. If there are people about to die right in front of you, and you and ONLY you can save them - I think the situation carries some more gravitas.
    Should distance have an effect on the amount of empathy that we feel for others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketCiaranJ)
    Should distance have an effect on the amount of empathy that we feel for others?
    Frankly, yes. There are too many people and problems in this world for one man to worry about. If he did, it would kill him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danconway)
    Frankly, yes. There are too many people and problems in this world for one man to worry about. If he did, it would kill him.
    'Every little helps'. If the pain of such responsibility were to save a hundred lives, is it not worth it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I'd rather 5 people die through my inaction but not my fault than kill someone myself through my own actions.
    Good shout.

ReputationRep:

I would jump at the trolley and try stopping it myself. I would surely die. If I succeed I would save all the lives. If I don't then so be it; I risked my death voluntarily

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.