Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeclanCochran)
    Comparatively, white men's worries have been trivial compared to the worries of African Americans, gays, women, and the like. We've all suffered at some point, but some have suffered (a lot) more than others.

Also, I was drawing attention to the fact that your fact, while appearing initially shocking and bombastic, is rooted in the caveat that it occurred over a period of time which allowed for action and reaction. It wasn't the systematic persecution by Arabs over one thousand years. It was more of an ongoing struggle between several sides. I was drawing attention to the reductive nature of your initial statement.
    Ahh right, so millions of Europeans being enslaved is relatively trivial. Glad we straightened that out!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    With all the hatred directed at straight white males by the politically correct power structure, it was only a matter of time until people started rebelling against it. This doesn't sound real though. Sounds like a satire.

Pretty much this.

(Original post by lucybuckleyy)
    The point of Pride though, is that homosexuals, bisexuals, transgender etc were made to feel ashamed for who they are. Pride is a festival that says you should be proud of who you are.
    Straight cis men have never been made to feel ashamed for who they are.

I have been made to feel ashamed of it many many times. I understand your point, but when I'm told by a uni tutor that I can't offer an opinion on a feminist text, or when at school I was taken out of the class so that the other kids could study black history month (I was the only white kid), or when snide propaganda indicates I'm a rapist because I'm a man, I've felt ashamed. Those are institutional issues, and to be honest I don't think it's productive to do things like this satirical festival.

Instead I feel it would be best if, eventually, there wasn't a need celebrate things that are now taken for granted. Drawing attention to arbitrary differences actively segregates modern society.

I think that the reason for festivals like Pride is that there is still the potential for regression into a homophobic society. We're not comfortably enough past that yet. But to suggest that in this day and age there is any group that doesn't experience some kind of institutionalised discrimination is part of that danger.

ReputationRep:
    I'd also go as far as saying, my "straight white" Grandfather had more troubles and worries while fighting in TWO World Wars than most.

Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Ahh right, so millions of Europeans being enslaved is relatively trivial. Glad we straightened that out!
    I mean that simply wasn't what I was saying at all, but k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaulPaulPaul)
    Stop making out like white people are oppressed ffs I'm sure you have it really hard
    Now you are twisting his words. He said it would be oppressive to discriminate against someone who is proud of their race just because they are white. He never said white people are oppressed as a race. Because we all know that be silly. White people are some of the most influential people on earth today.

ReputationRep:
    Wondering what exactly do they do at this straight white guy festival.

Anyway I think its just made as a statement because they feel 'discriminated' against *shrugs*. Probably made by some white guys with hurt feelings who came back from their gap year & no one wants to listen to their stories of how many people they saved by playing football with orphans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gazebi)
    It would only be temporary, everyone will calm down eventually and after you can just go about your day eventually. You will get over it.
    Some people face discrimination every day and made to feel ashamed for not doing anything really, they don't have to say 'I'm proud to be ______" to get any hate.. some people are hated just for existing.

Well, i haven't done anything either. But according to this society, i am an evil person just because i am a straight white male.

As a straight, white, immigrant, working class male i am at the bottom of the pile of this society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBallWinner)
    I'd also go as far as saying, my "straight white" Grandfather had more troubles and worries while fighting in TWO World Wars than most.

Just saying.
    Your Grandfather is a great man. I have a lot of respect for those who have served our nation and laid down their lives to protect our great nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    To obviously show that they're not ashamed to be who they are? That the so-called factor which separates them from the rest of the world isn't a negative one , an idea which has been existence for a long time. That's the whole point Barring a few tumblr nerds, when have white, straight males ever truly been at a disadvantage? Show me a time in recent history when they were at the receiving end of oppression/discrimination. It's probably a joke, but the idea that some people believe straight white men deserve a festival as a result of subjection to nonexistent discrimination is laughable.
    "when have white, straight males ever truly been at a disadvantage? Show me a time in recent history when they were at the receiving end of oppression/discrimination."

Apart from slavery I can't think of a worse society to live in than the industrial revolution in Britain, especially Northern England. They practically were slaves, extremely low life expectancy, very hard work and the worst living conditions in the world at the time.

Slavic people suffered massively at the hands of occupying Germany, millions dying in concentration camps (around 3 million Ukrainians were killed in the extermination campaigns alone). I think if you were to disregard the colour of peoples skin and looked at religion, political ideologies or simply countries then you would find in recent history plenty of examples of white men being oppressed/ discriminated against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    Wondering what exactly do they do at this straight white guy festival.

Anyway I think its just made as a statement because they feel 'discriminated' against *shrugs*. Probably made by some white guys with hurt feelings who came back from their gap year & no one wants to listen to their stories of how many people they saved by playing football with orphans.
    I'd say that's far more than what you've ever done for people in the 3rd world.

You look like you spend your weekly allowance on clothes and make up.

ReputationRep:
    So, if they want a straight white male parade, I'm not going to stop them, but whether I support the idea depends entirely on their motive.

I suspect that the motive is (either satirical or) to make a lousy point.

ReputationRep:
    Straight white guys are boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    Well, i haven't done anything either. But according to this society, i am an evil person just because i am a straight white male.

As a straight, white, immigrant, working class male i am at the bottom of the pile of this society.
    why are you at the bottom of the pile?
    do you experience racism everyday, even minor agressions? homophobia?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's really stupid to react in such a way to the festival unless they were being extremely discriminatory. It just proves their point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gazebi)
    why are you at the bottom of the pile?
    do you experience racism everyday, even minor agressions? homophobia?

You think white people who live in majority non-white parts of London don't experience racism?

Here is an equation for you. An equation which all institutions try to adhere to:

diversity = less white people ( especially straight white male people )

Maybe because you are female you do not understand the 'not wanted here' attitude many institutions and employers take to straight white males.

For example, even your own government is obsessed with getting rid of as many straight white males as possible, which is why they intentionally sacked straight white males and replaced them with straight white and brown females in the cabinet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creat0r)
    "when have white, straight males ever truly been at a disadvantage? Show me a time in recent history when they were at the receiving end of oppression/discrimination."

Apart from slavery I can't think of a worse society to live in than the industrial revolution in Britain, especially Northern England. They practically were slaves, extremely low life expectancy, very hard work and the worst living conditions in the world at the time.

Slavic people suffered massively at the hands of occupying Germany, millions dying in concentration camps (around 3 million Ukrainians were killed in the extermination campaigns alone). I think if you were to disregard the colour of peoples skin and looked at religion, political ideologies or simply countries then you would find in recent history plenty of examples of white men being oppressed/ discriminated against.
    The Industrial revolution was not the oppression of white straight men. It was the oppression/exploitation of the working class, which included women, children, probably gay men and perhaps the few coloured people who were living in Britain at the time.

Again, not the deliberate targeting of straight white men. And if you didn't notice, the Germans were also probably white, straight men. Obviously tragic, but there are other instances of ethnic cleansing/mass genocide throughout history- some very recent- who's victims don't include white, straight males. The whole point is that we're not disregarding the colour of the skin. If we did that, then we'd find examples of persecution towards a group for any race. We're looking at discrimination solely based on race and orientation. Lets be honest, as a group you really haven't suffered much. You can pick all these examples from recent history who's victims include white straight males, but they were not a deliberate target. No ones saying you can't feel proud of who you are. I'm proud of what I am. But instead of "pride" all this screams is "waaa others groups get festivals and I don't. I feel left out, it's not fair".

Have you ever met a white straight male who wanted to be a black man? Or what about one who wanted to be gay? What about a white straight male who wanted to be a woman? No, i bet you haven't. But you'll find numerous examples of the alternative.

ReputationRep:
    Both straight white men AND women were deliberate targets of genocide and slavery over the past few centuries.

ReputationRep:
    To summarise my feelings on this matter. What on earth is wrong with a "White Festival" or whatever it is? There's literally nothing wrong with it.

Who argues when there's equivalents?

I don't like the mentality of black people thinking they're the only people that's had it tough in life or throughout their family tree. I think it's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever met a white straight male who wanted to be a black man? Or what about one who wanted to be gay? What about a white straight male who wanted to be a woman? No, i bet you haven't. But you'll find numerous examples of the alternative.
    Seriously, straight white male that wants to be black. That isn't really a great example is it. Where is you think the phrase "wigger" comes from? You just need to look at some of the London boroughs to see white people (more specifically men) who are acting like the black gangs of America.

ReputationRep:
    For it, I guess, although it's such a pathetic joke that well... if they follow through, I don't think many will turn up.

Only reason against it that I might have is that because gay/black/green/female/martian pride parades have a purpose, this might devalue them somehow. But I highly doubt that those groups are going to feel less about their pride parade just because everyone has one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.