Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harshil1)
    3.B?
    Harshil1: you are correct for both questions! May i ask how did you come up with the answers?? Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    People say that a 63+ will get you an interview but I feel a 70+ makes an application a bit more stronger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with this. I got a place for E and M with 65, but I feel that if I'd got much lower I wouldn't have got an interview. Aim for 63 as minimum which will probably get you an interview providing you have good predicted grades and GCSEs. Above 70 would put you in a very strong position but anywhere above 60 gives you a chance of you perform well at interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People say that a 63+ will get you an interview but I feel a 70+ makes an application a bit more stronger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on the subject! E&M and PPE are likely to be higher (sorta scores already mentioned) but I got in for Geography with 61 on my TSA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKell17)
    Depends on the subject! E&M and PPE are likely to be higher (sorta scores already mentioned) but I got in for Geography with 61 on my TSA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yea. Maybe you're right! I was talking about what people have told me about PPE! Does a very brilliant score tend to improve your application when it comes to PPE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yea. Maybe you're right! I was talking about what people have told me about PPE! Does a very brilliant score tend to improve your application when it comes to PPE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It can't hurt it! PPE is very competitive and anything that makes you stand out is a good thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKell17)
    It can't hurt it! PPE is very competitive and anything that makes you stand out is a good thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I saw from a freedom of information request someone had made that the average number of gcse a*s for offer holders for ppe was 8.9ish in 2013. The average tsa score for those successful was 70, with the lower quartile being 66or67 and the upper quartile being 74. Also, ppe takes about 20 percent of its intake from overseas students. :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sellerofdreams)
    I saw from a freedom of information request someone had made that the average number of gcse a*s for offer holders for ppe was 8.9ish in 2013. The average tsa score for those successful was 70, with the lower quartile being 66or67 and the upper quartile being 74. Also, ppe takes about 20 percent of its intake from overseas students. :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering that I am an international student, I was wondering if 20% is a considerably good number or is it lesser than other courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm applying for the Human Sciences course this year. Debating on St John or St Catz. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaraashaikh)
    Hey guys. I'm applying for the Human Sciences course this year. Debating on St John or St Catz. Any advice?
    No idea about the course, but for me John's any day. Central location, nice and rich, and Catz is butt ugly imo Prospective ppe applicant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YungRodLiddle)
    No idea about the course, but for me John's any day. Central location, nice and rich, and Catz is butt ugly imo Prospective ppe applicant.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm an international student so I'm registering to take the tsa at the British Council. Do I need to send in my application before registering for the tsa, or can I just register first? I have a ucas ID, but I haven't put anything on the application yet

ReputationRep:
    Considering that I am an international student, I was wondering if 20% is a considerably good number or is it lesser than other courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Similar to other courses, economics and management takes only 8%. But I gather that PPE applicants are often a higher standard than other courses so I'd say it's competitive even though applicants per place is similar to most courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mountainwolf)
    1. I live in a block of flats which is served by a lift which always goes from bottom to top and back,
    picking up anyone who wishes to go in the direction it is travelling. If I have pressed the ‘down’
    button and the lift is going up, it does not stop for me, but goes to the top and stops for me on the
    way down.
    I notice that, if I have pressed the button on my floor to go up, more often than not the lift goes
    past my floor going down before it comes back up to collect me.
    Which one of the following would explain this?
    A The lift travels down faster than it travels up.
    B It waits longer at the bottom floor than at intermediate floors.
    C People mainly travel between their own floor and the bottom.
    D I live near the top of the block of flats.
    E I live near the bottom of the block of flats.

2. Mary works in a top secret research laboratory. In order to gain access to the building, she must
    use a secret four-digit code. All codes from 0000 to 9999 are possible. As a security feature,
    Mary is required to get exactly one digit wrong each time, and not to enter the same four-digit
    number as she did last time.
    The security guard can see the numbers that she enters into the keypad.
    What is the maximum number of different four-digit numbers Mary can enter without the security
    guard being able to be certain of the secret code?
    A 2
    B 8
    C 32
    D 4096

3. The holiday resort of Goldensand has a beach that is 1000 metres long and runs from north to
    south. Holidaymakers are always spread out evenly along the full length of the beach. The sun is
    so hot that when a sunbather buys an ice cream they always buy from the ice cream seller
    situated nearest to them.
    Joe, an ice cream seller, is deciding where to put his stall. There are currently two other sellers
    on the beach. Nicest Ices is situated 300 metres from the northernmost end of the beach, and
    Classy Cones is 200 metres from the southernmost end. Joe wants to position his stall so that he
    sells as many ice creams as possible.
    Where should he place his stall?
    A At the very northernmost point of the beach.
    B Just to the north of Nicest Ices.
    C Either just to the south of Nicest Ices or just to the north of Classy Cones.
    D 450 metres from the south end of the beach.
    1)
    The particularly relevant information here is that, "more often than not", the lift PASSES him going down when the speaker wants to travel up.

Option A would mean that the lift would spend less time travelling down than up, and wouldn't directly apply to the speaker
    Option B just isn't relevant, because waiting longer at the bottom has nothing to do with the lift travelling down when the speaker wants to go up.
    Option C doesn't actually change anything. This accounts for both upwards and downwards travel.
    Option D wouldn't explain it because the lift PASSES him going down, if he were near the top this would happen less often
    Option E explains the circumstances very well. It accounts for the lift travelling down TOWARDS the speaker, as well as explaining the fact that it often passes him on the way down

So the answer is E.

2)
    This question may be considered in the form of a game, from the point of view of Mary.

The aim of the game is to remain elusive for as long as possible.

Say that the proper code is 5682.
    (Bold indicates incorrect)
    She enters:
    [1] 4682
    [2] 5672
    At this point, the guard knows the code is X6X2
    She decides to change another digit in another position
    [3] 5582
    It's over now. The guard knows for certain that the code is 5682, because he has noted that one of the known values has changed, and therefore all previously unknown values are now correct.

Suppose she changed the value of a previously incorrect position instead:
    [3] 6682
    Given [1] and [2], he now knows the code is 5682.

From this we can derive a simple rule to the game. If the same numbers (in the same position) appear twice in any of the entered codes, they become known to the guard.

For this reason, Mary can only change the values of ONE of the positions, else she loses in three moves every time.

So, she must proceed thusly:
    [1] 4682
    [2] 6682
    [3] 7682
    [4] 8682
    [5] 9682
    [6] 0682
    [7] 1682
    [8] 2682
    Right, at this point he knows that the code is X682, where X is either 3 or 5.

Go a move further, that move being 3682, Mary loses the game.

The answer is B.

3)
    Take the full 1000 length of beach as a ruled line, with a dot at 700 metres up (Nicest Ices) and 200 metres up (Classy Cones)

What we know is that Holidaymakers are spread evenly, so we must assume that whichever ice cream stall 'corners' the most Holidaymakers (by being the nearest option) will sell the most icecream.

In simple terms, Joe will have customers from halfway between his stall and the next stall(s), and all Holidaymakers between his stall and the ends.

At present, Nicest Ices has customers from 550 metres of the beach, and Classy Cones has customers from 450 metres of the beach.

Option A cuts the northern portion of the beach in half, with only 150 metres of Holidaymakers.
    Option D allows competitors to corner the two extremes of the beach and leaves Joe with 250 metres.
    Option B will allow Joe to corner most of the northern portion of the beach, giving him just under 300 metres.
    Option C will only give Joe the custom of just under 200 metres of beach

So the answer is B

There's probably an easier way of solving question 2, but that's my answer and method

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, BitWindy
    Here are two more, thanks in advance to anyone who solves them It will be very much appreciated if you can post the explanations along with answers!!

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, BitWindy
    Here are two more, thanks in advance to anyone who solves them It will be very much appreciated if you can post the explanations along with answers!!

16)

The repeating pattern is a 5x5 square but the outside tiles will be shared.

(4 x white 100% inside) + (4 x white 25% shared) = 5 white

(4 x black 100% inside) = 4 black

(1 x grey 100% inside) + (12 x grey 50% shared)= 7 grey.

Answer B???

ReputationRep:
    This is a hard one as well (at least for me)

A football league is comprised of 22 teams. Over the course of a season, each team plays each
    of the other teams twice (home and away). For every game that is played, 3 points are awarded
    to the winning side, 0 points to the losing side, and 1 point to each side if the match is drawn
    (equal score). There are no other possible outcomes to a game. Each team’s total points from all
    their matches played are added together at the end of the season and the three clubs with the
    fewest points are relegated to a lower league. If two or more clubs finish with the same number of
    points, their positions are decided by goal difference, i.e. the difference between the total number
    of goals they have scored and the total number scored against them over the course of the
    season. A side with a higher goal difference finishes above one with a lower one.
    What is the lowest number of points that a club can get in one season and not necessarily be
    relegated?
    A 4
    B 5
    C 6
    D 9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    16)

The repeating pattern is a 5x5 square but the outside tiles will be shared.

(4 x white 100% inside) + (4 x white 25% shared) = 5 white

(4 x black 100% inside) = 4 black

(1 x grey 100% inside) + (12 x grey 50% shared)= 7 grey.

Answer B???
    Yup, thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, BitWindy
    For the bulb question:
    You can deduce that low-energy lights cost more as the savings are negative at the start of the graph. This removes B
    The line's gradient is showing how the running costs of the low-energy bulb is lower than that of the old-style bulb. The jumps up are where an old-style bulb would be bought and the jumps down are where a low-energy bulb would be bought. The graph jumps up first, meaning an old-style bulb would've needed replacing first. This means C can be deduced.
    D can be deduced by the fact that the line stays above the savings line even after taking a dip for buying a new low-energy bulb
    For E, look at the number of squares between dips (ignoring whether it jumps up or not). Its always 8 little squares across, meaning its assumed low-energy bulbs last for 8 units of time. E can therefore be removed too, leaving A I think!

ReputationRep:
    16)
    Rather than look at the 5x5 pattern, only look at the 4x4 in the top left.
    Then it's a simple matter of counting the contents:

7 grey, 5 white, 4 black

Answer is B

Bulb question
    Looks as if this question may be missing important information, but I think AKell got it right

Basically, "Jump-ups" (JU) occur when old bulbs are expected to expire, and "Jump-downs" (JD) occur when new bulbs are expected to expire.

Option A cannot be deduced because the JUs are of uniform value throughout
    Option B can be deduced because JDs are of greater magnitude than JUs
    Option C is proven by the fact that the first JU occurs before the first JD
    Option D can be clearly deduced
    Option E can be deduced, energy saving bulbs last same time before replacement every time

So answer is A

Football question
    Found this one pretty hard, makes me feel nervous for the real thing.

A key part of the question is "not necessarily", which indicates that goal difference shouldn't be taken into account.

What you are trying to achieve is to choose an option which will leave your team in the same position as as many other teams as possible, whilst remaining at the bottom. You need to create a bottom four.

It is best to take the points options to be your score out of your team's games with three other teams, assuming every team within this group loses every other match. This means six matches.

Option A would not allow this to happen because this means losing two matches (and therefore disrupting the "bottom four")
    Option B is also incorrect because it means losing at least one game and therefore placing one of the four teams above the rest.
    Option C is perfect, because it means your team draws all matches against the three other members of the "bottom four"
    Option D is incorrect because it's too high and would place your team above the "bottom four"

So the answer is C

I hope there's a way of preparing for these ones, no way I'd get this done in the hundred or so seconds allocated.

ReputationRep:
    hi yall

I'm from South Africa, wanting to apply to Oxford. Is the test on the 5th of November for application who want to attend in 2015 ? Also, is there an alternate day ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.