The Student Room Group

What are the easiest A Levels to do?

Scroll to see replies

Thing about Psychology, like others have said, is that you either love it or you hate it - and the majority of people hate it. In theory, Psychology is fascinating; unfortunately, at AS/A2 Level, the topics aren't relevant to anything and it is one hell of a lot of stuff to remember. It's not like some humanities subjects (like English, for example) where you can sit the exam without a great deal of subject knowledge and still do well based on essay technique etc. Psychology (at AS at least) is basically entirely content. I'd advise against it if you want to do medicine.
Original post by Lizzyysmith
It's mainly just introductory work to be honest, and they usually go through what you'll be learning in the first week so you'll know if you want to stay by then! Seriously don't worry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: I am just so panicky about the fourth option and changing to a different a level!
Original post by Gunni098
Thanks :smile: I am just so panicky about the fourth option and changing to a different a level!

Just talk to people, and the people at your college they'll all help you! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aleenaa
What about sociology guys?

Sociology is REALLY easy. Like if you can memorise large amounts of information well then you'll literally fly through it. The essays are big, but you don't even need to have any kind of structure, for my AS unit 2, the longest & hardest one (in my eyes), I completely messed up the structure and kept adding things and it was probably the worst essay I've ever written, and I still managed to get a high A.
Original post by Aleenaa
Because ive Looked at the websites and you only need a a a to get in..

Hey, a friendly word of advice - you'll be much better off starting with 4 AS levels. Most med schools require a pass (usually C or above) in a 4th subject but this can really be any subject other than critical thinking or general studies. It would put you in a much better position :smile:
I'm hoping to apply to medicine and took Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Psych at AS, hoping to drop Physics for A2. I personally love Psych as it makes a change to heavy science content! If you put the effort in from the start and learn the studies it's not too difficult to do well in my opinion. But don't underestimate it as there is a lot of content, I'm just saying there aren't any concepts to grasp apart from a few science bits (processes etc) in unit 2 if you do AQA :smile:
Reply 66
I did my A levels in the good ol' days before A*. I did what I later found out was called "The Nut Buster" by Jack Whitehall's character in "Fresh Meat" - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry. Wasn't that hard, though.
Reply 67
I did Psychology, Sociology , History and English Lit. I think Sociology was the easiest.
haha the nut buster... did you go further to university with any of those subjects? That is what i just did for my A2's, just waiting to hear back results now :/
Reply 69
Original post by VannR
Wow. Did you, personally study an entire A-Level in Mathematics in a single month?

I did further Maths a level in 5 weeks, however it is not easy to do that and nor is it piss to do the entire a level in Maths in 4 weeks with very little math strength, it would require quite some work
Original post by Aleenaa
Hi guys. I am doing Bio and Chem next year. My original plan was to do RS and Psychology with it, however researching what you need for medicine which are 3 A's at A Level I have decided to do 3. Now I don't know which A Level to do as a 3rd option..

RS - if I'm quite honest I was very unconfident at GCSE but I always got good grades - B/ or above
Psychology - I've never done before but I found it really interesting at the tasters. However - some universities like Cambridge and Oxford class this as a soft subject and don't accept it when doing medicine.

I'm now considering doing History - it is something that I enjoyed doing at GCSE but I don't know if I will be able to to get an A in..

I just want to do an 'easy' A Level.. Something that with no doubt I will definitely I can get an A in..

Please let me know

Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're going for Oxbridge for Medicine you want plenty of A*s at GCSE and 4 AS Levels + with decent As (near perfect UMS for Cambridge)

Doing only two science AS levels will handicap your application to Oxbridge significantly. You'd have to be pretty strong with other aspects of your application such as work experience and have something outstanding.

Generally medicine perhaps you won't be too disadvantaged but frankly you are putting yourself at risk for only doing 2 science As Levels.

Psychology also is not a facilitating subject nor is sociology.
Original post by Aleenaa
Hi guys. I am doing Bio and Chem next year. My original plan was to do RS and Psychology with it, however researching what you need for medicine which are 3 A's at A Level I have decided to do 3. Now I don't know which A Level to do as a 3rd option..

RS - if I'm quite honest I was very unconfident at GCSE but I always got good grades - B/ or above
Psychology - I've never done before but I found it really interesting at the tasters. However - some universities like Cambridge and Oxford class this as a soft subject and don't accept it when doing medicine.

I'm now considering doing History - it is something that I enjoyed doing at GCSE but I don't know if I will be able to to get an A in..

I just want to do an 'easy' A Level.. Something that with no doubt I will definitely I can get an A in..

Please let me know

Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My only advice here is don't do something just because it is 'easy'. No A Level is 'easy'.
I took Sociology, RS and Chemistry this year. A lot of people in my class thought of Sociology as an 'easy A', but that is actually far from the truth. Despite it being looked down on by most universities (unless you specifically want to apply for Sociology), there is a lot of work to be done. You have to understand theory and memorise case studies as well as the rest of the syllabus. I enjoyed it because it's something I am interested in, but other people who just did it to get an easy pass really hated it; as well as this, barely any of them are predicted higher than a C.
Chemistry on the other hand was actually less work than Sociology, yet it is considered a difficult subject.

My point is, there is no such thing as a guaranteed A. If you want to do Medicine then don't take both Sociology and Psychology; you will be disadvantaged if you do.

If you're serious about Medicine, then do Bio, Chem and Maths as well as Psych/Sociology (preferably Psych). The majority of people in my college who want to be in that career path have meticulously planned out their subject choice and how it will advantage them - I can guarantee you that your competition will likely have done that too.

Sorry to burst your bubble; hope you have a good time with A Levels though! :smile:
I found that In sociology a level you can just write something random about society and as long as you back it up you've got the marks in the bag.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by saibhandari
My only advice here is don't do something just because it is 'easy'. No A Level is 'easy'.
I took Sociology, RS and Chemistry this year. A lot of people in my class thought of Sociology as an 'easy A', but that is actually far from the truth. Despite it being looked down on by most universities (unless you specifically want to apply for Sociology), there is a lot of work to be done. You have to understand theory and memorise case studies as well as the rest of the syllabus. I enjoyed it because it's something I am interested in, but other people who just did it to get an easy pass really hated it; as well as this, barely any of them are predicted higher than a C.
Chemistry on the other hand was actually less work than Sociology, yet it is considered a difficult subject.

My point is, there is no such thing as a guaranteed A. If you want to do Medicine then don't take both Sociology and Psychology; you will be disadvantaged if you do.

If you're serious about Medicine, then do Bio, Chem and Maths as well as Psych/Sociology (preferably Psych). The majority of people in my college who want to be in that career path have meticulously planned out their subject choice and how it will advantage them - I can guarantee you that your competition will likely have done that too.

Sorry to burst your bubble; hope you have a good time with A Levels though! :smile:

Thanks for your advice but I have emailed University of Birmingham about these A Level choices and they said they're fine as long as you have Biology and Chem.
Maths is easy, avoid Psychology.
Original post by Gunni098
I think I died when I read "But it is a lot of remembering.." :frown: it did help thank you so much! But I am now yet again puzzled for a fourth a level option -cries

I didn't find AS psychology too bad at all, scraped an A but the jump from AS psychology to A2 psychology was by far the biggest for me and I also did history so imagine that. A2 psychology is solely remembering, like it is actually a joke, it was too much (AQA A) however even though AS psychology is a memory game too, it wasn't that bad and if you just do all the past papers over and over again, it becomes a lot easier. But as I said psychology is just a memory thing... Good luck!
Original post by Aleenaa
What about sociology guys?

I would say do Business Studies, Sociology, Geography and Economics if you're looking for essays subjects. Oh and of course Media. Psychology can be hard at times and Maths can be even harder so only do them if you think you'd be good at it. The first five I mentioned don't require talent to get an A*/A.
Reply 77
I'm doing AS Geography, Psychology, Sociology and Drama and Theatre in September and I either want to do Geography or Drama at Uni. I got an A overall in GCSE Geography with an A* on the final exam (I completed this GCSE a year early) so I was wondering if this would be a good subject choice. A lot of people have said that psychology is really hard but when I did it on the taster day i really liked it. Also, are my other subjects easy? especially drama and theatre because I havent done it before.
Original post by tolaaani
I didn't find AS psychology too bad at all, scraped an A but the jump from AS psychology to A2 psychology was by far the biggest for me and I also did history so imagine that. A2 psychology is solely remembering, like it is actually a joke, it was too much (AQA A) however even though AS psychology is a memory game too, it wasn't that bad and if you just do all the past papers over and over again, it becomes a lot easier. But as I said psychology is just a memory thing... Good luck!

I've been given advice to take sociology instead and I take it that it would be the easiest out of my options: Chemistry, Maths and Biology! I ain't sure though I might have to look into it more further!
Reply 79
Original post by Aleenaa

Please let me know

Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't really give much advice on what to pick, just pick 4 AS at least, I did 5; 3 sciences, maths and further maths. The more you do the better the university will think you can cope under pressure. I think you get about a few weeks to change your mind on your subject.
I've currently got an offer for medicine at Birmingham and I got ABBBB at AS. Now I don't know if I got it because I applied though an access scheme or what.
Getting into medicine isn't just good academic qualities, you need to show yourself as willing to put yourself out there, to push yourself and try new things; volunteer work, work experience, playing sport for a team or even just socially, play a musical instrument maybe even just teach yourself (I started to teach myself to play guitar).
If you enjoy a subject go for it, I know some people who took one because they thought it would be easy, they hated it and didn't do as well as they'd hoped. If you enjoy it you'll want to do well. And I can't stress this enough, start revising just a little bit each day (10 minutes or so) after the first week you'll regret it if you don't when you get your results back, there's no January exams to give you the shock to get you into gear.

Quick Reply

Latest