Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellkins)
    I think most do have brief guidance on them, but working on them in a group would be a good idea!

You mean they actually give a brief written description of what they want and what areas in the book to focus on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsbreeze)
    You mean they actually give a brief written description of what they want and what areas in the book to focus on?

Well it may not be a case of looking in a specific area of the book, but they will give a brief outline of what should be included in your answer and what to include to obtain higher grades

ReputationRep:
    How much does it cost to print lectures or material on blackboard every year? And is it wise to buy a printer or just use the school's resources to print material?

ReputationRep:
    How much does it cost to print lectures or material on blackboard every year? And is it wise to buy a printer or just use the school's resources to print material?

You'll be given a lecture handout for each module so you won't have to print all those out (but if you lose it you can print one out off Blackboard). I never had my own printer, I just used the library to print things. 5p for black and white A4 and 20p for colour, so it's whether you want to pay that or if you'd rather be able to print it yourself

ReputationRep:
    What else do they give out? Sounds like they pretty much give you everything to succeed. Brief answers to potential exam questions on Blackboard, tutorials that discuss potential exam questions. The class average must be high. Also how many questions are typically in an exam? How much do you typically have to write?

Are restaurants or fast food places open late? And are there grocery stores close by? Would you recommend catered or self-catered?

ReputationRep:
    Did you get into UoL through clearing or adjustment or was it through your conditional offer?

ReputationRep:
    What else do they give out? Sounds like they pretty much give you everything to succeed. Brief answers to potential exam questions on Blackboard, tutorials that discuss potential exam questions. The class average must be high. Also how many questions are typically in an exam? How much do you typically have to write?

Are restaurants or fast food places open late? And are there grocery stores close by? Would you recommend catered or self-catered?
    I wouldn't say they feed it on a plate to you, if you want to do well then you have to do your own research as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Results range from 1sts to fails so it is down to how you use what is provided and build on it well. Some exams want you to answer 3 questions, some want 4. (Although they often change the formats). You have to be concise to cover every issue raised in the question, but you must plan your time to add in all the extra details that will get you the high grades. That's why practice is so important.

Lots of places to eat stay open late in the city centre. If you mean nearby to halls then there is an Asda in Oadby or a Morrisons near Nixon court. I stayed in catered halls. It was convenient to be able to go and have something ready made for you and not having to wash up, but sometimes the food wasn't wonderful. Breakfasts were good though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blyts-_)
    Did you get into UoL through clearing or adjustment or was it through your conditional offer?

I got in through my conditional offer, but clearing places were available.

ReputationRep:
    I got in through my conditional offer, but clearing places were available.
    Thanks did you have a part time job while at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blyts-_)
    Thanks did you have a part time job while at uni?
    I didn't, I joined a few societies and with that on top of all the work for my course I didn't feel like I had the time! But if you do want one, you may be able to get one on campus, either in the SU shops or as a Leicester Ambassador, working on open days etc

ReputationRep:
    On the topic of jobs where would you recommend international students to work? Since being an international student I can only work within the school.

ReputationRep:
    On the topic of jobs where would you recommend international students to work? Since being an international student I can only work within the school.
    There are lots of jobs on campus, you enquire in the library about working there, or look out for jobs in the students' union which they post online: http://leicesterunion.unioncloud.org/work/work-with-us

ReputationRep:
    Well it may not be a case of looking in a specific area of the book, but they will give a brief outline of what should be included in your answer and what to include to obtain higher grades
    could you share on the following.
    1) answering exam questions. (please don't just say IRAC and then disappear)
    2) answer formats for say criminal and constitutional law?
    3) how did you tackle contract questions?

ReputationRep:
    Is there a place to rent electronics like an extra monitor, or would we need to buy stuff like that? It would be helpful considering all the online reading and writing that a person will be doing in law school.

ReputationRep:
    Which year would you say was the worst in terms of workload and course difficulty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maura Kat)
    could you share on the following.
    1) answering exam questions. (please don't just say IRAC and then disappear)
    2) answer formats for say criminal and constitutional law?
    3) how did you tackle contract questions?
    Ok well I'll do my best!

1. I took highlighters into the exams and made sure I was totally clear on what the question was actually asking for. For problem questions this is easier as you can pick out the relevant pieces of information, but for essay questions where the question is asking for a more broad analysis of an area of law, it's important to engage with the question so that you can tailor your answer accordingly. Then for either kind of question I'd do a brief plan to make sure I include every detail. It's hard to really say how to answer a question but make your initial point, set out the relevant law and the cases, add in a brief discussion about development of the law if possible, and then apply it to the question itself, how it would impact the characters in the scenario. Use tutorials to practice this.
    2. Criminal law requires answering at least one essay question (section A) and one problem (section B), and then you choose the third. Different areas of study may be mixed into one question. Essay questions require a wide understanding of the area you're discussing with use of cases, academics' views and your own opinions. Problems require reading through a scenario and applying your knowledge to it to give advice to a party involved.
    Constitutional isn't so fresh in my memory, I think you have two sections again, but whether you have to answer one from each I can't remember, I've done too many exams since that one! Hope that kind of helps though.
    3. I found contract quite hard, but I just made sure I read the question thoroughly and knew exactly what it concerned, then went through all the aspects of contract in a methodical way, relating it back to the question at all times. It was definitely a tough module.

Hope those answers are what you were looking for!

ReputationRep:
    Is there a place to rent electronics like an extra monitor, or would we need to buy stuff like that? It would be helpful considering all the online reading and writing that a person will be doing in law school.
    I don't know of anywhere to hire electronics from in that way, sorry. You may be able to find a cheap one online though. It would be helpful but I didn't use one.

ReputationRep:
    Which year would you say was the worst in terms of workload and course difficulty?

3rd year for sure as the added pressure of the final exams was very stressful! Although I did find Land Law and EU law in 2nd year rather difficult too.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well I'll do my best!
    Hope those answers are what you were looking for!
    you did a fantastic job.
    thank you so much hun

as im new to law i've done some reading.
    could you share what you know on the topic of causation in criminal law?
    there's 2 filters in causation.
    1) by law
    1) by fact

could you go through the process of causation in order to establish if the D was guilty?
    how do i arrive at the conclusion?

ReputationRep:
    3rd year for sure as the added pressure of the final exams was very stressful! Although I did find Land Law and EU law in 2nd year rather difficult too.
    Would you say that 2 year llb students have it a tad easier since they don't have to do 3rd year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.