Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I should have taken German instead of Art - art sucked my soul out over the two year course and still gives me nightmares...

I'd also have liked to take Additional/Further maths but only the people in set 1 were allowed to take them.

ReputationRep:
    I had chosen Psychology, Geography and Double Award Health and Social Care. These were not my options as such, my father decided to 'assist' in choosing my options.

If I was to choose them myself, I would have taken Psychology (I got a C in that), Business (about to study the HND in this now), Drama and Biology (I was always more interested in Biology).

I'd ended up getting an E in Geography and an EF in Health and Social Care. This also led me to perform badly in my sixth form (DUU (Film Studies, Health & Social Care, General Studies in first year, then achieved a C (Film Studies) and then a BTEC MP (Media Studies) in second year).

So yes, the lack of choice in my options had crippled me in my studies, and I really do regret that.

I never had a choice with Religious Studies (fast-tracked in Year 10 at a Catholic school) or ICT (I had to do a GNVQ qualification instead of a GCSE).

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree. History can be amazing, but Britain, International Relations and USA in the 1900- periods killed me. Personally I would have loved to have done Renaissance Italy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My subjects that were compulsory

maths (Additional maths was compulsory for top set maths)
    english (lit and lang)
    triple science
    a language (i chose German)
    RS

Options I chose:

Astronomy
    Geography
    Computing

Options i wish i could have sat:

Further Maths
    Economics
    Latin or Ancient History

ReputationRep:
    i wish i had taken textiles. All my other options were v. academic which meant it was hard to keep up with all of the subjects. I wish i had taken as a relaxing subject and it is genuinely something i have passion for so it would of made it enjoyable as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aoxa)
    I should have taken German instead of Art - art sucked my soul out over the two year course and still gives me nightmares...
    Art was horrific!

ReputationRep:
    Double science. I was gonna but the teacher was pretty stupid. The class managed to do well in the end though somehow.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had taken French.

ReputationRep:
    History

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could have taken Classical Civilisation or Ancient History instead of History, since I found the time period boring. Also, I wish I'd taken drama or food tech rather than music as my creative subject, or perhaps ICT.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I did citizenship or sociology

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had chosen computer science instead of Spanish. The reason I didn't was because- back then- I thought with today's society, it goes without saying that you'll have computer skills so won't need any kind of GCSE grade to prove it. I do know very basic coding though.

ReputationRep:
    Media studies looks really good

ReputationRep:
    p.e , would have been fun to play sports.

ReputationRep:
    History... I take geography and find the physical side so boring (though I like the human geography)

ReputationRep:
    Business and communications instead of business and economics. Our teachers chose which class we'd be put in for us and I was distraught!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    Seriously? What exam board were you on? AQA is just a combination of contextual knowledge and exam technique, I can't remember when I've had to remember a date... (except for things like "Children's Act 1909" or something)
    OCR but honestly I didn't even research it because I was young, naive and stupid, oh well

ReputationRep:
    I wish there was a GCSE for life, would be so much more useful than stupid Geography
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd taken Geography and D.T. over Latin and Drama.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I did Music GCSE. I wouldn't really swap it for anything though. I was pretty happy with my subject choices, but I was only able to choose 4 instead of 5, so didn't do music.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.