Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting A Job With A 2:1 Degree And Masters But Nothing Else? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooooshy)
    What I find questionable is how some universities let people onto a pharmacy degree with dog biscuits for grades, knowing full well that they're going to have peoples' lives in their hands after they graduate!
    got straight As and Bs nothing lower then that, which is something people at kingston can't say. I got 11 gcses a-b then 4 alevels a-b. i might be able to lend you some.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know universities taught web development.

Yeah, a skill which has nothing to do with knowing one particular language.
    Well, Universities should.

The whole point in learning how to write complex algorithms and learn to program is so that you can create things. Programming is essentially manipulating input data in such a way where you get a desired output. That is all CS is about. AI/data mining etc - people do it for a reason.

You would be amazed at how many people who do CS don't actually understand WHY they are doing it or the practicalities behind it. So get bogged down in meaningless theory.

I am a mobile/web developer by profession.

Started off with server side programming - PHP. It was a total head **** trying to move from PHP to JS, as everything is async. Like you I used to think, "oh every language is the same", I had a rude awakening.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    got straight As and Bs nothing lower then that, which is something people at kingston can't say. I got 11 gcses a-b then 4 alevels a-b. i might be able to lend you some.
    It wasn't an attack at you, since you're at the best uni for pharmacy (as you said earlier).

Check my academic info.. I don't need any of those grades.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't an attack at you, since you're at the best uni for pharmacy (as you said earlier).

Check my academic info.. I don't need any of those grades.
    Then you will know that having a CS degree from Oxford is schools apart from anywhere else, the stuff you learn and do is entirely different. Other people with CS from lesser universities would have had different experience, learning a water down degree, but then expecting wonders from it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    Well, Universities should.

The whole point in learning how to write complex algorithms and learn to program is so that you can create things. Programming is essentially manipulating input data in such a way where you get a desired output. That is all CS is about. AI/data mining etc - people do it for a reason.

You would be amazed at how many people who do CS don't actually understand WHY they are doing it or the practicalities behind it. So get bogged down in meaningless theory.

I am a mobile/web developer by profession.

Started off with server side programming - PHP. It was a total head **** trying to move from PHP to JS, as everything is async. Like you I used to think, "oh every language is the same", I had a rude awakening.
    People are taught AI/Data mining. No universities should have a course teaching their students to learn Javascript/PHP. You can do a course online and learn that.

I'm not concerned with all of those people. That doesn't make a point at all.

Theory is meaningless? You don't sound much like a computer scientist to me..

You're funny. I don't think 'every language is the same', I just know that some languages are similar. It even says on Oxford's page that a good computer scientist should be able to pick up a new language in a day with a good manual.. I have news for you.

ReputationRep:
    People are taught AI/Data mining. No universities should have a course teaching their students to learn Javascript/PHP. You can do a course online and learn that.

I'm not concerned with all of those people. That doesn't make a point at all.

Theory is meaningless? You don't sound much like a computer scientist to me..
    I learnt the theory, and paid my dues.

How much of it do I use in practice. Very little.

If you think computing is more theoretical than practical in the real world, you are in for a shock (I assume you are a student).

You're funny. I don't think 'every language is the same', I just know that some languages are similar. It even says on Oxford's page that a good computer scientist should be able to pick up a new language in a day with a good manual.. I have news for you.
    We were talking about Sloane here, he won't be able to pick up the new language in a day, let alone 4 weeks. A lot of people will not be able too. Only because you find it easy, does not make it trivial. Callback hell, spaghetti code etc

Where are you going with this conversation?

ReputationRep:
    Why do these threads always turn into pages and pages of arguments between 2 or 3 different posters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SallyTheKid)
    I'm asking this on behalf of my older cousin (hope this is OK mods? She didn't want to make an account just for one thread!), who is finishing a Masters in Financial Risk Management at UCL this year. She also holds a 2:1 (around 64 average, I believe) Economics degree from Warwick.

Thing is, though, she doesn't have much work experience at all (she's applied for internships, but only got a 2:2 in her first year, so only has a couple of weeks of informal work experience at a firm last year, and the summer before that) and she wants to work in finance, preferably for a "prestigious" firm apparently.

She also didn't do any extracurriculars seriously (e.g. hold a committee position or even just go to society meetings), or hold a job or do anything at university apart from study and party and hang out with friends.

She apparently applied to quite a few places in finance last year, but couldn't even get interviews at any AFAIK. Her dad is quite well off so paid for her to do a Masters at UCL, but apparently she is still applying for jobs and getting rejected for them, even at the supposedly "lower" firms. She finishes her Masters in September and is unsure about what to do after then, as she thought it would help her career prospects.

Any advice for her? Thanks in advance
    Is there any special reason she doesn't have hobbies?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.