The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for Law and do you reckon I have a chance to get in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by andreastitan
It was top 10 in the school and top 50 in the country so yeah

If your **** (i typed *) GCSEs is top 50 of country, Britain has no future

Posted from TSR Mobile
Preferably a college which accommodates sport as I play football for the U21 team of my academy

If you're an academy level player you're going to playing Blues, obviously you'll get drafted into the college squad for cuppers but it will not be your primary sporting focus so don't worry about which college to apply to for that.

Chruchill is a college, it requires 9 A*s plus for Law, makes an offer A*A*AA or 42 on IB and all for the privilege of being surrounded by reclusive NatScis for 3 years.

The courses are different because Oxford has a different exam structure (everything rests on Finals, whereas at Cam your second year couunts towards your degree) and there are relatively limited options due to the requirement to take Juris and other timetabling stuff. Check the Law Facs' websites for full details of all this.

In terms of college choose one you like, obviously if you're looking to play it slightly tacticallyy don't be a hero and apply to Downing, but generally numbers fluctuate quite a lot year on year.

Studying what is on the Bar Professional Training Course is of no use as prep for Oxbridge/any other uni because, as the name suggests, it is designed to teach you about the practical side of being a barrister. It is all the stuff that the Bar Council has specifically decided doesn't need to be on undergraduate courses/the GDL, and is therefore not on them.

This is what I mean by Oxbridge not caring about music, other than for those applying for Music:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7965715/Universities-uninterested-in-pupils-extra-curricular-activities.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Med_medine
If your **** (i typed *) GCSEs is top 50 of country, Britain has no future

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get?
What did you get?

11A*s 1A

6 A levels, 100% in all further math modules

5A*s 1A
Posted from TSR Mobile
11A*s 1A

6 A levels, 100% in all further math modules

5A*s 1A
Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats and where do you go?
Congrats and where do you go?

UCL for medicine, did not get into cambridge, with 98% average in my top 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL for medicine, did not get into cambridge, with 98% average in my top 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why's that then and do you think I have a shot at UCL?
Why's that then and do you think I have a shot at UCL?

Yes if you have good A levels you would have a good chance for UCL

I think I didnt do well in my interview, Oxbridge interviews are academic and different to others, I guess I panicked

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes if you have good A levels you would have a good chance for UCL

I think I didnt do well in my interview, Oxbridge interviews are academic and different to others, I guess I panicked

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also was wondering why Oxford is AAA whereas others are higher?
Also was wondering why Oxford is AAA whereas others are higher?

Further proves the point that doing 5 A levels is useless

Unless you do 7+ which makes them think this kid is exceptionally bright, otherwise 4 or 5 wont make a big difference

Their focus is on admission tests and GCSEs

For A levels, all you need is meeting the min req

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I read that oxford look at applicants that have between 4-7A* or higher. Considering that the A*'s were in the 90's % and the A's were a few marks off an A* it's okay.

P.S. Playing a musical instrument actually is of some importance, as it exhibits a variety of different, strong skills that can be needed in law. Plus a Grade 5 in theory and Grade 7 in the instrument is actually useful.

Those strong skills being? Honestly, take it from people who know more about uni application than you. You might be able to twist the instrument thing in such away, whilst writing your personal statement, that you demonstrate qualities valued in law students, but it'd be more helpful to demonstrate these skills through other, more relevant activities.

The trumpet is only worth an honourable mention at the end: 'playing trumpet... helped me develop perseverance and critical thinking skills' (theory for critical thinking).

I fail to see how playing the trumpet to grade 7 standard will be of direct use to you whilst studying law.

EDIT: Damn, didn't realise there were 4 pages. You've probably been told this several times already. Just ignore me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by William Turtle
Those strong skills being? Honestly, take it from people who know more about uni application than you. You might be able to twist the instrument thing in such away, whilst writing your personal statement, that you demonstrate qualities valued in law students, but it'd be more helpful to demonstrate these skills through other, more relevant activities.

The trumpet is only worth an honourable mention at the end: 'playing trumpet... helped me develop perseverance and critical thinking skills' (theory for critical thinking).

I fail to see how playing the trumpet to grade 7 standard will be of direct use to you whilst studying law.

EDIT: Damn, didn't realise there were 4 pages. You've probably been told this several times already. Just ignore me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't an integral part I was pretty much going to say it at the end of my Personal Statement.
Original post by William Turtle

Posted from TSR Mobile

A newspaper - possibly the Guardian - once spent a day with Oxbridge admission staff and wrote it up. (Precise location is irrelevant). Among the priceless remarks was one about a guy applying to do a science of some sort with a weak PS. "Heck" said the professor, "he even put his Grade C Violin down".
Original post by Old_Simon
A newspaper - possibly the Guardian - once spent a day with Oxbridge admission staff and wrote it up. (Precise location is irrelevant). Among the priceless remarks was one about a guy applying to do a science of some sort with a weak PS. "Heck" said the professor, "he even put his Grade C Violin down".

Yeah, that was a bizarre comment from the article.

An academic remarks with bafflement that a candidate has "got his violin grades on there".

I don't see why he'd be baffled. There's a space on the UCAS form for it, and it gives you UCAS points. Why wouldn't someone put it down, tbh

This one? http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yeah, that was a bizarre comment from the article.

An academic remarks with bafflement that a candidate has "got his violin grades on there".

I don't see why he'd be baffled. There's a space on the UCAS form for it, and it gives you UCAS points. Why wouldn't someone put it down, tbh

I was not entirely sure of the significance of what he said. Musical ability is a clear sign of intelligence and is very common in mathmos for example. As I read it the implication was that a PS needs to be relevant for the course applied for. D of E and such doesn't carry as much weight as some folk seem to think. Who knows? It was interesting to read it.

I have DoE bronze and Silver, MEDIMUN 2 times, 1st and 2nd trumpet in the national youth orchestra , Prefect, Law work experience at both courts and a law firm and I'm going to apply for head boy.

The only part of this which is relevant at all is your work experience; even then, you need to be able to tie it in well in your PS to why you want to study law as an academic discipline, and you won't necessarily get to discuss it in interview. That said, it can help to get along with your interviewers. I had a nice, brief chat about some of the ECs I mentioned in my PS in my general interview, even though I'm pretty sure they don't care for official purposes. Being able to chat with them casually about something without cowering in the back of your seat could go a long way.

For Cambridge at least, your GCSEs won't be important if you get high UMS scores at AS (aim for full marks, but 90%+ is an okay place to be; you won't necessarily be rejected with lower than that).

5 x IGSCE at A* is quite low for Oxbridge.

Perhaps, but it doesn't matter very much (for Cambridge). I just graduated from Cambridge with a law degree. I only got 2A*s at GCSE.

If you get good ums scores at AS, OP, it will mostly come down to the admissions tests, interviews, and submitted work. High UMS scores are necessary (usually), but not sufficient. That is why you see people who have 8 A*s at A level and 20 at GCSE being rejected.

I don't know much about Oxford admissions, so I won't say anything.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
The only part of this which is relevant at all is your work experience; even then, you need to be able to tie it in well in your PS to why you want to study law as an academic discipline, and you won't necessarily get to discuss it in interview. That said, it can help to get along with your interviewers. I had a nice, brief chat about some of the ECs I mentioned in my PS in my general interview, even though I'm pretty sure they don't care for official purposes. Being able to chat with them casually about something without cowering in the back of your seat could go a long way.

For Cambridge at least, your GCSEs won't be important if you get high UMS scores at AS (aim for full marks, but 90%+ is an okay place to be; you won't necessarily be rejected with lower than that)

Perhaps, but it doesn't matter very much (for Cambridge). I just graduated from Cambridge with a law degree. I only got 2A*s at GCSE.

If you get good ums scores at AS, OP, it will mostly come down to the admissions tests, interviews, and submitted work. High UMS scores are necessary (usually), but not sufficient. That is why you see people who have 8 A*s at A level and 20 at GCSE being rejected.

I don't know much about Oxford admissions, so I won't say anything.

Good luck.

I want to send you a private message, could you clear some space in your messages so I could send you it? would really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 79
So I read that oxford look at applicants that have between 4-7A* or higher. Considering that the A*'s were in the 90's % and the A's were a few marks off an A* it's okay.

P.S. Playing a musical instrument actually is of some importance, as it exhibits a variety of different, strong skills that can be needed in law. Plus a Grade 5 in theory and Grade 7 in the instrument is actually useful.

They won't know that. beyond cambridges obsession with AS ums it's your grades that matter not your marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending