Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MASTER265)
    What are you on about? The majority of murder cases have a motive and someone part of a stabbing will not go round stabbing everyone before he is caught that is stupid. Crime will exist in either world with or without the death penalty but at least with it there is real justice and no potential release of the criminal who could commit the same crime.
    Well, of course he has a motive.

He has to kill the remaining witnesses otherwise he is going to die. That is his motive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undisclosed 15)
    What if they are given second and even third chance but still continue to rape/murder?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course that's a thought, however what about those who are wrongly executed. Either way someone loses out, it's like a possible lose-lose situation. The main thing is morals though, would you feel happy that people are given the control over other people's life? Yes that is what happens with murder, rape etc however that is why it is illegal. Therefore the death penalty should not be legal. Kinda went off topic there to the question...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undisclosed 15)
    Saying people deserve to rot in jail is essentially saying we should torture them so why dont we just do that to a more extreme level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, not torture!

I meant they should get (real) life sentences and die naturally in jail. Why should they have freedoms that they have taken from an innocent person?

They should still get food, water, roof over their head etc, but not their freedom.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    But why does that imply that the death penalty is not a deterrent? Isn't it possible that those states have the death penalty because their crime rates are so high, and so they use the death penalty to try to reduce them - and while it may work to some extent, it doesn't bring them right down to the levels of other states?

I mean by this logic, you could also say that doctors don't help cure disease, because hospitals (which are full of doctors) have more sick people than everywhere else.
    Good point. Correlation=/=causation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Well, of course he has a motive.

He has to kill the remaining witnesses otherwise he is going to die. That is his motive.
    Yeh because witnesses are not killed or threatened anyways. People like this will kill to simply not go to prison full stop. Your scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Considering the 24/7 surveillance, forensic advances and practical limitations murdering every witness in the Vicinity does nothing. Let's say it's down a typical London street, you need to eliminate a lot of potential witnesses which is practically almost impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Rapists and paedophiles, but only if the system is 100% sure, without a shadow of a doubt, that the accused has commited the crime

ReputationRep:
    I'm in favour of capital punishment for an enormous number of offences.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who is pro death penalty has to acknowledge that they are prepared to sacrifice innocents.

ReputationRep:
    Always against it. It's hardly a punishment and doesn't deter certain crimes

ReputationRep:
    Never under any circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon we need a Judge Dredd system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbdulKoyes)
    Rapists and paedophiles, but only if the system is 100% sure, without a shadow of a doubt, that the accused has commited the crime
    So to you, murder, on the whole, is still, merely something to be discouraged?

ReputationRep:
    Kill them!

not srs

ReputationRep:
    Against it.

It can be very expensive to use the death penalty, and more costs are added if there's appeals and such leading up to it. Sometimes they can be botched too, recently I think there was a man in the US where it took two hours for him to die. Hardly humane when mistakes like that take place. Which evidently do, even if uncommon.

The state should not have the power to kill people. It's hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caedus)
    Ofcourse not. The Death Penalty should cover Murder automatically, I just focused on Rape and Peadophillia and didn't mention Murder because those two crimes are less discussed than murder when discussing the death penalty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caedus)
    The current punishment for such crimes is pathetic too. 20 years for Murder, and they count 12 hours as one day so essentialy they only do 10 years, and that's if you don't factor in factors that reduce time spent in prison, such as 'good behaviour'

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse not. The Death Penalty should cover Murder automatically, I just focused on Rape and Peadophillia and didn't mention Murder because those two crimes are less discussed than murder when discussing the death penalty

The current punishment for such crimes is pathetic too. 20 years for Murder, and they count 12 hours as one day so essentialy they only do 10 years, and that's if you don't factor in factors that reduce time spent in prison, such as 'good behaviour'
    Much agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyYYYY)
    I did not agree with torture. I disagreed with the individual having an easy way out of what they've done.
    Didn't you say that they should spend their entire life in prison? This is torture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzie2)
    Of course that's a thought, however what about those who are wrongly executed. Either way someone loses out, it's like a possible lose-lose situation. The main thing is morals though, would you feel happy that people are given the control over other people's life? Yes that is what happens with murder, rape etc however that is why it is illegal. Therefore the death penalty should not be legal. Kinda went off topic there to the question...
    As for your first point, if someone is convicted of murder 3 times, we have to assume they committed murder 3 times. They will have at least committed murder once. I doubt there has ever been anyone convicted 3 times and all the convictions have been overturned so people wont get wrongly executed if the death penalty is only for repeat offenders.

As for morals, that purely comes down to each individuals beliefs so I can accept being against the death penalty on moral grounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lamyers1)
    Haha, not torture!

I meant they should get (real) life sentences and die naturally in jail. Why should they have freedoms that they have taken from an innocent person?

They should still get food, water, roof over their head etc, but not their freedom.
    A (real) life sentence in prison is torture as the individual will be in pain for their entire life. Others against the death penalty have already tacitly accepted this as they believed that life imprisonment is worse than the death penalty, which is accepting that it is torture.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.