Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Big Problem here : Any advice is appreciated!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    No, they just want to meet you to see what you are like. It's not an interview a such so as long as you don't do anything wrong you'll be fine. If you do something stupid, it'll be a deal-breaker.

Boutiques, because they don't have a crippling amount of applications, can afford to get someone to meet you to see if you'd be a good 'fit' or not.

They'll probably see why you're interested and what you want to do exactly, want to know your motivation; but more than this they'll be seeing if you can hold a decent conversation about anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh gosh; okay what do you suggest i do then? I'm going to research about this company to figure out what they love - but do you have an idea of anyway to act ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flygirl64)
    Oh gosh; okay what do you suggest i do then? I'm going to research about this company to figure out what they love - but do you have an idea of anyway to act ?
    Just be yourself and don't do anything stupid (like get drunk or risky jokes/anecdotes). Just start off by getting to know the person you are with, ask about them. I reckon the person will probably lead the conversation to start with though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Just be yourself and don't do anything stupid (like get drunk or risky jokes/anecdotes). Just start off by getting to know the person you are with, ask about them. I reckon the person will probably lead the conversation to start with though.

Alright thanks, we are only going for coffee so no chance of getting drunk.

I'll keep everyone posted then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    How are you going to get into LSE?

And the issue for you will be getting any relevant experience in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See my post on Master's courses being stupidly easy to get into. You just need a first or a 2:1 because sadly most finance-related master's courses are cash cows.

Alright thanks, we are only going for coffee so no chance of getting drunk.

I'll keep everyone posted then
    How'd it go? Did you make it? Would be interested to know that someone from a non-target managed to break it into FO . Regarding your wall post (sorry I didn't log into TSR) I did MSc. at KCL which is tbh barely a target but I managed to read up alot on Markets and the course was kinda piss-easy. As to funding, let's just say I'm luckier than you in that regard

Also, have you considered doing the CFA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadhukar)
    See my post on Master's courses being stupidly easy to get into. You just need a first or a 2:1 because sadly most finance-related master's courses are cash cows.

How'd it go? Did you make it? Would be interested to know that someone from a non-target managed to break it into FO . Regarding your wall post (sorry I didn't log into TSR) I did MSc. at KCL which is tbh barely a target but I managed to read up alot on Markets and the course was kinda piss-easy. As to funding, let's just say I'm luckier than you in that regard

Also, have you considered doing the CFA?
    It did not go down as planned : Long story short - It was at St pauls station, even though I left an hour Early - Trains still got delayed so i got there about 10 mins late or so, we only spoke for 5mins and she said she had to go..

Then she asked me to call her office later to reschedule or something. I called and emailed, she said she will get back to me when she's free...

So yeah ..

Anyhoo.. CFA , ACA, all these certifications sound cool but I need to get a target Uni on my CV hence the Masters plan at a top Uni. Rebranding really..

How did you fund your masters please??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy92)
    No, not that specifically. You just don't come across as a safe pair of hands, as in, I wouldn't trust you to talk with clients or deal with money. It's nothing personal by the way, you just don't come across as being professional. Plus, you use of i and I is quite infuriating...

Also, trading is nothing like liars poker and the industry has massively changed since 2007. Do you enjoy mathematics?
    Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, OP, but how so?

On topic - I admire the fact that it's your dream to work in IB, and I wouldn't give up on that, but have you thought of working in a different industry/gaining some experience and then reapplying once you have a few years under your belt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swirll)

On topic - I admire the fact that it's your dream to work in IB, and I wouldn't give up on that, but have you thought of working in a different industry/gaining some experience and then reapplying once you have a few years under your belt?

Yup! That was my plan B and It's being executed now.

No longer chasing IB jobs, going for finance related roles or something, then do my masters, continue working in finance related role and then save up do an MBA and come back to IB as an experienced hire of some sort.

ReputationRep:

Not as much/no prop.
    Regulation
    Lower pay

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the above: no more free beers on Friday, reduced broker lavishness (still pretty decent but no weekend trips to Vegas etc), deferred bonuses, increasing market transparency and higher reserve requirements hitting profit margins, much reduced business in exotics, and generally much less of the kind of swaggering where traders would bet £1000/dot on the number of dots on their shirt (true story).

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha, yeah right the industry has changed. As a compliance officer in an investment bank I'm having a little chuckle.

Basically, the industry has only changed in that there are more rules being introduced. Bonus claw backs, remuneration limits, transparency, beefed up market abuse rules, increased liability for depositaries. I could go on and on.

However, here's the catch. Nine times out of ten, when a new regulation is proposed, mostly from the EU in our region but also from regulators such as the CFTC in the United States, basically what happens is the FO go to the BO and say 'we need you to do some more reporting.'

The problem is that although the rules are changing, very little has been done to change the culture. Rules on the whole are pointless without a cultural shift; don't forget RBS and Lehman Brothers both broke the existing rules anyway because their culture was rotten; introducing more rules just means more to break. The FCA are now, finally, bringing in new Conduct Risk requirements but they'll be very difficult to measure in any meaningful way.

That's not to say that there haven't been some changes. You're less likely to get away with going to work drunk and you have to wait a few years for your bonuses now. However, stuff like this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewzeitl...her-in#3t5qr42

And this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...sanctions.html

And this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecol...ancial-crisis/

And this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19157426

Still goes on all the time (duly noted some of this stuff is not FO, but still indicative of the tone from the top).

ReputationRep:
    You only need to look on linkedin to realise being a hot girl really does help you land an internship/grad job at a BB. The few girls I know who are currently working in FO at a BB are all very attractive. Definitely helps especially in converting internships.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerwizard)
    You only need to look on linkedin to realise being a hot girl really does help you land an internship/grad job at a BB. The few girls I know who are currently working in FO at a BB are all very attractive. Definitely helps especially in converting internships.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Second that! An alumni from my university (one year older) bagged an FO role at a BB and lets just say she has her own modelling portfolio

ReputationRep:
    Not as much/no prop.
    Regulation
    Lower pay

Lol I noticed that a few people here assume that I want to go into Trading.

Well I don't, It's strictly M&A for me or Capital Markets hehe

No trading for me.. Yes I know It comes with shorter hours and bla bla but I'm just not a trader at heart (me thinks)

ReputationRep:

How did you fund your masters please??

Thanks
    Dad.

Not as much/no prop.
    Regulation
    Lower pay
    And a big comeback on techs. Algo desks in some banks are consistently outperforming their manual counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadhukar)
    Dad.

And a big comeback on techs. Algo desks in some banks are consistently outperforming their manual counterparts.
    The algo desks in big banks primarily just deal with flow trading at the minute. Humans still make most of the client service positioning trades.

Also, OTC products are pretty much all human traded.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.