Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smir95)
    I'm in private halls(Hartley Halls of residence), what date are you moving in?
    17th or 18yh depending on when I get my visa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maham96)
    17th or 18yh depending on when I get my visa
    I see well Insha'Allah I'll see you around campus!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing History?

And what's everyone planning to do in situations like mine .eg where the mentor meetups etc in welcome week are in pubs?

ReputationRep:
    For those who like me aren't into the clubbing/drinking scene then follow this thread!! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3563139

ReputationRep:
    To those who’ll be coming to Manchester, I’d just like to welcome you all and hope you have an awesome time!

I’d say to get involved with the ISoc on your first day!! (btw there’s no joining fee or anything like!)

I, myself, have been studying here for a few years now and I feel the need to debunk some myths on this thread…

I got involved on my first day of Uni and I haven’t looked back since.. Alhamdulillah I can honestly say that Manchester ISoc has been awesome! It’s one of the most active and diverse societies on campus, you get the wonderful opportunity to meet and get to know a whole host of different people from different backgrounds and everybody always loves the sense of brotherhood, sisterhood and togetherness that they feel! It also helps to get to know people who do the same course as you who are in the year's above *wink wink*

Many people regard UoM ISoc as being one of the most engaging ISocs to be found anywhere in the country – they organise a lot events to cater for everybody and anybody. To those who will be new to UoM, ISoc always has a stall in front of the SU building during the course of freshers’ week where you’ll be able to meet people, get your fresher’s pack and find out about the events ISoc holds at the start of the year…they always have a lot of social events at the beginning of the year including pizza nights, fifa tournaments and actual football tournaments for brothers, picnics for sisters and a lot more besides! They also hold academic sessions for different courses and there’s always an islamic talk that they organise at the start of the year as well and they also have weekly educational classes on Islamic topics (e.g. stories of the Prophets) running throughout the year…

There’s also an ISoc FC football team that competes against other society/course football teams in the Uni’s football league and there are plans to get more sporting activities going as well like basketball for brothers, netball for sisters…

The ISoc also hosts a ’welcome dinner’ at the start of the year, complete with a 3-course-meal and great entertainment…take it from me, its unmissable! Tickets only cost £5 – great value for money!

As well as that, the ISoc organises a lot of different talks over the course of the year…previous speakers have included the likes of Ust. Abdelrahman Murphy from America and others speaking on a wide range of different topics. The society also takes part in charity week, where it raises as much money as it can for charity through sponsored events like hiking up mountains and other activities.

On top of all this, the ISoc has two MASSIVE prayer halls on campus…pretty sure that they might even be the biggest in any UK university! They’re open to the public and all five prayers happen in them…I think there are over 3500 Muslim students studying at UoM and many more Muslims who live close by who come and pray so the prayer halls are always buzzing with activity – they’re a great place to meet people!

As for some of the rumours about the ISoc on this thread, I can honestly say that they’re not true! XD

The ISoc is a friendly, informal, neutral society that is there for everybody – the isoc doesn’t have its “own interpretation of Islam”…it caters for every type of Muslim regardless of background and serves as a ‘vehicle’ to allow Muslim students to practise their faith on campus by providing them with necessary means and services…

The ISoc doesn’t try and pair people up to get married lol, events are segregated and everything like that – I cant fathom how some rumours arise tbh XD

I’m sure you’ll be able to find others who are in the same position as you…

If you have any questions about anything to do with Manchester: uni life, living here, looking for Halal restaurants, any issues with accommodation, what you can do for fun, feel free to ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmEdPro)
    To those who’ll be coming to Manchester, I’d just like to welcome you all and hope you have an awesome time!

I’d say to get involved with the ISoc on your first day!! (btw there’s no joining fee or anything like!)

I, myself, have been studying here for a few years now and I feel the need to debunk some myths on this thread…

I got involved on my first day of Uni and I haven’t looked back since.. Alhamdulillah I can honestly say that Manchester ISoc has been awesome! It’s one of the most active and diverse societies on campus, you get the wonderful opportunity to meet and get to know a whole host of different people from different backgrounds and everybody always loves the sense of brotherhood, sisterhood and togetherness that they feel! It also helps to get to know people who do the same course as you who are in the year's above *wink wink*

Many people regard UoM ISoc as being one of the most engaging ISocs to be found anywhere in the country – they organise a lot events to cater for everybody and anybody. To those who will be new to UoM, ISoc always has a stall in front of the SU building during the course of freshers’ week where you’ll be able to meet people, get your fresher’s pack and find out about the events ISoc holds at the start of the year…they always have a lot of social events at the beginning of the year including pizza nights, fifa tournaments and actual football tournaments for brothers, picnics for sisters and a lot more besides! They also hold academic sessions for different courses and there’s always an islamic talk that they organise at the start of the year as well and they also have weekly educational classes on Islamic topics (e.g. stories of the Prophets) running throughout the year…

There’s also an ISoc FC football team that competes against other society/course football teams in the Uni’s football league and there are plans to get more sporting activities going as well like basketball for brothers, netball for sisters…

The ISoc also hosts a ’welcome dinner’ at the start of the year, complete with a 3-course-meal and great entertainment…take it from me, its unmissable! Tickets only cost £5 – great value for money!

As well as that, the ISoc organises a lot of different talks over the course of the year…previous speakers have included the likes of Ust. Abdelrahman Murphy from America and others speaking on a wide range of different topics. The society also takes part in charity week, where it raises as much money as it can for charity through sponsored events like hiking up mountains and other activities.

On top of all this, the ISoc has two MASSIVE prayer halls on campus…pretty sure that they might even be the biggest in any UK university! They’re open to the public and all five prayers happen in them…I think there are over 3500 Muslim students studying at UoM and many more Muslims who live close by who come and pray so the prayer halls are always buzzing with activity – they’re a great place to meet people!

As for some of the rumours about the ISoc on this thread, I can honestly say that they’re not true! XD

The ISoc is a friendly, informal, neutral society that is there for everybody – the isoc doesn’t have its “own interpretation of Islam”…it caters for every type of Muslim regardless of background and serves as a ‘vehicle’ to allow Muslim students to practise their faith on campus by providing them with necessary means and services…

The ISoc doesn’t try and pair people up to get married lol, events are segregated and everything like that – I cant fathom how some rumours arise tbh XD

If you have any questions about anything to do with Manchester: uni life, living here, looking for Halal restaurants, any issues with accommodation, what you can do for fun, feel free to ask me.
    where are the main prayer rooms? for women

ReputationRep:

Hi
    i was just wondering what the best private accomodation for a female, im looking for somewhere where i can request muslims sisters, thats close to the uni. im open to suggestions.
    thanks for the advice in the previous post, it was very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WFatemahW)
    where are the main prayer rooms? for women
    Sorry for the late reply 😅

Here is all the info you need to know: http://www.manchesterisoc.com/freshe...ayer-room-map/

The facilities are free to use for both males and females

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aamenah)
    Hi
    i was just wondering what the best private accomodation for a female, im looking for somewhere where i can request muslims sisters, thats close to the uni. im open to suggestions.
    thanks for the advice in the previous post, it was very helpful
    In terms of private accmmodation there's Hartley Halls and also Ropemaker Court....

There's also uni accommodation just for females – St. Gabriel's Hall

All these options are in close proximity to the university, and you have the option of asking to share with only females (you can request to stay with other sisters in both the private accommodations I think but don't quote me on it)

Alternatively, you can also search for accommodation by posting in the University of Manchester Islamic Society public Facebook group to ask if there are any spaces/vacancies.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of private accmmodation there's Hartley Halls and also Ropemaker Court....

There's also uni accommodation just for females – St. Gabriel's Hall

All these options are in close proximity to the university, and you have the option of asking to share with only females (you can request to stay with other sisters in both the private accommodations I think but don't quote me on it)

Alternatively, you can also search for accommodation by posting in the University of Manchester Islamic Society public Facebook group to ask if there are any spaces/vacancies.
    Ah brill, thanks for the information- have you perhaps herad of Heald Courts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aamenah)
    Ah brill, thanks for the information- have you perhaps herad of Heald Courts?
    Ummm, I'm not too sure but just having taken a look online it seems good at first glance

There's also 'MSV South' close by, which is pretty cheap and good quality.

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, I'm not too sure but just having taken a look online it seems good at first glance

There's also 'MSV South' close by, which is pretty cheap and good quality.
    Ooh ive just taken a look and for the price, its pretty fantastic. I think ill look a little more into it, but thanks for all the help

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been allocated St Gabriel's even though I asked for ensuite and self-catered. Could someone please tell me what the shared bathroom arrangements are as such as how many people on a corridor for how many bathrooms etc. I don't really want to share a bathroom so have been looking at private accommodation though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I am looking for a single gender accommodation as well! Please suggest some options of halls shared by sisters only! Thanksxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.