Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Astrology should be used in healthcare - Tory MP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It's tempting to think he's just a fool, but Lady Cynicism is whispering in my ear to dig a little deeper. His Wikipedia entry is illuminating and has a lot of background information about his (and Jeremy Hunt's) support for alternative medicine generally. I wonder if this is a case of representing an industry body? Astrology is a big business now - the various cable/satellite astrology channels and shows, magazines and phone lines, tarot, etc, generate a lot of revenue for the rather cynical companies that run them. Perhaps that's what's at the bottom of this puzzling story. Money and Tory MPs (come to that, MPs generally) are often closely related.
    I don't think so. His support for astrology, and specifically medical astrology, seems to go back decades. My guess is that some astrologer told him something that was the case and he has become genuinely sold on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I don't think so. His support for astrology, and specifically medical astrology, seems to go back decades. My guess is that some astrologer told him something that was the case and he has become genuinely sold on it.
    I don't really know anything about him, but it must arouse suspicion that he seems to work with Jeremy Hunt on this. Hunt is a notorious opportunist, one of Cameron's toadies-in-chief to Rupert Murdoch and a man so obviously desperate for the main chance that it's surprising he isn't fitted with advert hoardings. By their friends shall ye know them.

Astrology is a huge business for the media generally, it boosts newspaper and magazine readerships, so much so that almost the only mags that don't carry a horoscope are New Scientist, the Economist and Astronomy Now. (Yes, you read that correctly - I didn't say Astrology Now. :giggle:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Wasn't he suspended without pay during the cash for questions scandal?

Ah yes, here we go: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1616440.html

ReputationRep:
    This is interesting - apparently he's also into 'Radionics' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radionics) - the alleged treatment of illness and injury using radio waves - scientific evidence for this, nil.
    http://goodthinkingsociety.org/proje...tredinnick-mp/

He ran up a £6K bill in one year on his mobile phones. :eek: Perhaps calling all those Tarot lines?
    http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Da...ail/story.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Wasn't he suspended without pay during the cash for questions scandal?

Ah yes, here we go: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1616440.html
    No-one ever got to the bottom of why the Sunday Times did a sting on those two.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good. Get a week off from work with a weeks horoscopes and star watching on prescription because you've got the flu. Its OK, the pretty stars and being told your zodiac sign will sort it out.

Will they also be opening up private healthcare clinics and rehab centres on the moon for addicts? People born in the year of the rat and in London will be told they're 40% more likely to get the plague if their BMI is over 28 too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It's tempting to think he's just a fool, but Lady Cynicism is whispering in my ear to dig a little deeper. His Wikipedia entry is illuminating and has a lot of background information about his (and Jeremy Hunt's) support for alternative medicine generally. I wonder if this is a case of representing an industry body? Astrology is a big business now - the various cable/satellite astrology channels and shows, magazines and phone lines, tarot, etc, generate a lot of revenue for the rather cynical companies that run them. Perhaps that's what's at the bottom of this puzzling story. Money and Tory MPs (come to that, MPs generally) are often closely related.
    It's unlikely imo. The article mentions specifically Indian astrology, which isn't a big presence in the UK and is unlikely to be the target of choice if he is indeed trying to boost revenues. Plus what nulli said.

I think he really is just a fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    It's unlikely imo. The article mentions specifically Indian astrology, which isn't a big presence in the UK and is unlikely to be the target of choice if he is indeed trying to boost revenues. Plus what nulli said.

I think he really is just a fool.
    Maybe Sanctimonious is on to something - perhaps the new Tory plan to save money on the NHS is to give patients a quick reading of their horoscope! So much cheaper than surgery. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't generally underestimate the capacity of the 'alternative' sector to be a lobbying force. The sort of companies that sell through health food stores and big websites have become quite major players and there is a lot of money involved. Maybe astrology is an outlier, but nutritional supplements of dubious value, vitamins, homeopathy and herbalism are all big businesses now. I can easily imagine their lobbyists seeking allies in parliament.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zen Baphomet)
    When I think Astrology I don't tend to think Horroscopes, I tend to be thinking more in the direct of Goetic/Solomonic Occult workings.

As someone who conned-tarot readings for years, I am fully aware of the power of vague far-reaching statements though don't worry.

Edit: Unrelated topic, are you still considering Asatru/Norse Paganism?
    Fair enough, can't say I know enough about those to pass any judgement.

I am, yes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.