Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to apply to the program at De Montfort University (BSc),but can't find any information on whether they will take Mature Applicants.

I already have a B.A and an M.A in a very different field (Social Anthropology), but have wanted to study Speech Therapy for a very long time and have a lot of volunteering experiences with Speech Therapists in Canada and will be doing some volunteer work with a Speech Therapist in my hometown here in the UK. My Social Anthropology degrees were focused on Linguistic Anthropology.

I'm even more confused because I don't know what my fee status would be. I'm a Canadian Citizen, but have lived in the UK for just over 2 years now and will naturalize as a British Citizen in January 2016 (yay Dual Citizenship). For the purposes of applying to university it looks like I need to have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the actual course - which I will have attained by September 2015. I just won't be a Citizen, but I will have indefinite leave to remain status at that time. Not sure whether I'd be classed as a Home Student or an International Student.

If anyone can help me understand more, I'd be grateful!

I am going to the Open Day at DMU this weekend, so hopefully I can get some insight then.

ReputationRep:
    I am in my first year of college, and would like to be a Speech Therapist. I could not study Biology for A Level as I got a C in Maths, and not the B required. I am currently studying English Language, Psychology, Fine Art and Health and Social BTEC certificate/subsidiary diploma. I plan on dropping Fine Art on A2. Are the other three good choices? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    anyone study at BCU for SLT? will they accept anyone below the entry requirements of BBB, i.e AAD???

im so desperate to get in! HOWEVER my teacher for bio (what I got the D in) wont predice me higher

HELP PLEASE. Im literally crying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be applying for SLT in the next few months! Set on either BCU or DMU.. I have a degree, but it's a 2.2 as I became ill after my second year, had to finish off my degree through the OU but the courses didn't match up so I took a completely different subject in my last year (criminology and sociology). I'm hoping this will be enough to get me in as being a SLT is all I've wanted to do for the past 4/5 years.

I have M.E. and one of the main reasons I want to go to DMU is because they're ranked high for their disability support.

I'm also volunteering at the moment with a local aphasia support group which I've only just started but it just confirmed what I want to do, which is great. I've also got some shadowing lined up.

I'm hoping this will be enough... When is everyone handing their personal statements in? Or have you done it already?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabfabfab)
    I am in my first year of college, and would like to be a Speech Therapist. I could not study Biology for A Level as I got a C in Maths, and not the B required. I am currently studying English Language, Psychology, Fine Art and Health and Social BTEC certificate/subsidiary diploma. I plan on dropping Fine Art on A2. Are the other three good choices? Thank you.
    Also, I would say that from research I have done through stalking other conversations on here that these are great courses to do yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aneahmed)
    anyone study at BCU for SLT? will they accept anyone below the entry requirements of BBB, i.e AAD???

im so desperate to get in! HOWEVER my teacher for bio (what I got the D in) wont predice me higher

HELP PLEASE. Im literally crying.

Personally, I would e-mail the universities you are interested and see. It's mostly done on a points system though, so add up the points! An AAD would be the equivalent points of ABC or BBB, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jisici)
    Personally, I would e-mail the universities you are interested and see. It's mostly done on a points system though, so add up the points! An AAD would be the equivalent points of ABC or BBB, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    thanks

i have emailed the uni and they say they may give me an offer but ofcourse they cant be certain

also if i apply to slt & eng wud that be a good combo?

ReputationRep:
    thanks

i have emailed the uni and they say they may give me an offer but ofcourse they cant be certain

It's completely up to you, just make sure it's a course that registers you as an SLT!

ReputationRep:
    thanks

Is there an SLT and English course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkymama)
    Is there an SLT and English course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops whatvi said was kinda ambiguos

i mean apply to slt & then eng as a seperate course as a backup

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've just started at BCU doing SaLT, so if anyone has any questions about the application process, feel free to ask away

I got offers from BCU, Newcastle and MMU, and got to interview stage at Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've just applied to BCU, but am not hopeful as I am a very mature student. I already have a degree and relevant work experience, so we will see. Do you know how long they take to respond after you apply?
    Good luck with your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    Hi,
    I've just applied to BCU, but am not hopeful as I am a very mature student. I already have a degree and relevant work experience, so we will see. Do you know how long they take to respond after you apply?
    Good luck with your course.
    Hi, there are quite a lot of mature students at BCU in my year I applied in October, got an interview for the start of December and heard I had an offer just before Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was just wondering about personal statements and when the deadlines are - from my understanding they have to be in by the 15th January. I've been planning mine out but I'm hoping to get a bit more experience so I can add to it, was hoping to get it done by November at the latest (I'm technically a 'mature' student - I'm 23 and I already have a degree but as I have a 2:2 so I can't apply for a postgraduate degree, I can't remember what I did last time with regards to personal statements!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth_23)
    Hi! I was just wondering about personal statements and when the deadlines are - from my understanding they have to be in by the 15th January. I've been planning mine out but I'm hoping to get a bit more experience so I can add to it, was hoping to get it done by November at the latest (I'm technically a 'mature' student - I'm 23 and I already have a degree but as I have a 2:2 so I can't apply for a postgraduate degree, I can't remember what I did last time with regards to personal statements!)

I'm in exactly the same boat but I'm 26. I'm shadowing a therapist next month so gonna finish my statement off and send it asap! I think it depends on the uni on whether it makes a difference, and the deadline is January but people were getting offers in December so it seems like it's worth getting it in early. Anyone is free to correct me though!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    The UCAS deadline is Jan 15th, so I've agree, getting your application in as soon as you are happy with would be a good way to go. At the very least you'll be able to concentrate on your studies.

Don't forget Unis like DMU have a staff that will give you personal statement advice if you need it...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so happy there's a 2015 forum! For the past six months I've wanted to be a speech therapist and I've already sent off my application to UCAS with the predicted grades A*A*A in English Lit, Theology, and Biology. I'm applying to Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds Met, and Manchester Met and I'm just wondering if anyone's received any offers yet? I'm really worried that I'm going to get rejected due to my A Level subjects not being the most relevant I also have a C in AS Level Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Is their a demand for SLT's or a UK shortage as just wondering before i start to consider this option

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in the process of doing my personal statement. Really want to get into BCU. Any tips about what to include?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.