Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you pay attention in lectures? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lecturers making their notes available online is a terrible idea.

I used to sleep through most of my lectures tbh.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    Lecturers making their notes available online is a terrible idea.

I used to sleep through most of my lectures tbh.
    Agreed, they just mainly talk about what's on the slide.

I always say to myself "Meh, they put their notes online and the empirical stuff is in the textbook. Now, I'm going to be dreaming about flying on the back of Spyro. :moon:"

ReputationRep:
    Spent most of my lecturers doodling

/got a 1st
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    95-100% attention.

For some modules we don't get anything except what the lecturer writes on the board and erases at the end. So if you didn't write it down, then you have to see if your friends or anyone will let you borrow their notes.

In other modules, we get gaps in our notes that are only covered in lectures.

I learn best when I hear someone talk about it and write it down.

ReputationRep:
    The best lectures are those where you've read the reading material in advance like you're meant to (unrealistic I know), and you basically know what's coming but there are just a couple of points you want to clarify.

ReputationRep:
    Probably about 20%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    I'm starting university this September and I was wondering how much you usually pay attention in lectures? 100% of the time? 50% of the time?

Also do you take notes while in lecture?
    it would depend on the lecturer. 1) if the lecturer uploads the lecture slides then no need to write notes. (except what is mentioned that are note on the slides. 2) some lecture slides are really detailed others just basic bullet points, write notes for basic slides as that wont be enough to revise from.

Text books are needed along side lecture notes.

ReputationRep:
    probably about 5% of the time, its just so ****ing boring listening to someone talk at you for an hour, especially when all my notes are posted online anyway so i don't need to take notes so i have no motivation to listen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    I'm starting university this September and I was wondering how much you usually pay attention in lectures? 100% of the time? 50% of the time?

Also do you take notes while in lecture?
    Depends how interesting I find the lecture and the lecturer sometimes I'll leave on the break because I can't be bothered other times I don't even want people to talk to me because I'm too absorbed in it. Take notes but there isn't any point if you don't keep them organised, a filing system is better than a notebook in my opinion you can keep a file at home, if you leave your notebook somewhere you've lost all your notes rather than a days. I also use my notes and condense them for revision don't try and decide what's important in the lecture some stuff obviously won't be but it's better to be safe than sorry and it makes it easier to keep up.

Not saying word for word but so you can get the gist of what was being said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplylldxo)
    Yeah you can most students do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like sit on their phone video recording?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordanap)
    Like sit on their phone video recording?
    Nah just voice recording with phone/laptop/dictaphone. You technically would need the lecturers permission but most are cool with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the time of day, the lecture content and the lecturer too, also, most of the lecturer's slides are put up online so I just end up annotating them in the lecture. But the most important aspect is going over your notes as otherwise you'll fall behind especially if you have quite a lot of contact hours IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone recorded lectures and then made notes later? I can never keep up with what the person is saying and take notes at the same time! Plus if I shorten them then I forget what I meant! I heard of someone recording them and thought that would be good for me, anyone got any idea whether or not it's feasible to do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dependent if the lecturer is engaging or not & if I'm enjoying the lecture. Most of the time I am given handouts of the PP slide which I write notes next to each slide. I usually then write the notes out along with any revision from textbooks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.