Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

somebody please explain what is happening to as and alevels? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought it wasn't changing until next years? I thought people starting this year missed the change? (I mean the AS change, not Jan exams).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    I think he meant it in a general sense in that they were compatible for the first half of A level to be taught with AS - most 6th forms will not be viable if this is not true.

(Original post by 06shawm)
    Yeah that is pretty much what I meant. They need to complement each other because if they didn't it would require more resources to be able to teach two separate qualifications. Like compost was saying, it would not be viable system.
    Oh okay! Sorry I understand now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunesfool)
    I thought it wasn't changing until next years? I thought people starting this year missed the change? (I mean the AS change, not Jan exams).
    Yes that is correct, anyone starting sixth form in september 2014 will be under the old exam system and will not be affected. The changes will occur for people starting sixth form september 2015.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that is correct, anyone starting sixth form in september 2014 will be under the old exam system and will not be affected. The changes will occur for people starting sixth form september 2015.
    Phew, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Phew, thank you!
    Haha, np! By the sounds of it, you have just escaped!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, np! By the sounds of it, you have just escaped!
    Indeed! I am very glad! I mean no January exams I can deal with, but this change..nooo way.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed! I am very glad! I mean no January exams I can deal with, but this change..nooo way.
    I don't think I could of dealt with not having january exams to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I could of dealt with not having january exams to be honest!

Really? Why's that?

ReputationRep:
    Really? Why's that?
    I retook quite a few of my AS modules in january during year 13 to bump up my UMS to act as safety net for A2. I was the last year to have January exams. I could not have imagined doing A2 units and AS units both in the summer of year 13. I'm at uni now though, it seems a long time ago now haha

ReputationRep:
    If you start sixth form in september 2014, you will be under the old a level system and will remain under that system for your duration at sixth form, it will not change. You don't need to worry about the a level reforms since they don't have any effect on you. You've literally just escaped them!
    Oh my god, thank god holy ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Oh my god, thank god holy ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, someone sounds very relieved

ReputationRep:
    I retook quite a few of my AS modules in january during year 13 to bump up my UMS to act as safety net for A2. I was the last year to have January exams. I could not have imagined doing A2 units and AS units both in the summer of year 13. I'm at uni now though, it seems a long time ago now haha
    Ahh, what are you doing at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    If you start sixth form in september 2014, you will be under the old a level system and will remain under that system for your duration at sixth form, it will not change. You don't need to worry about the a level reforms since they don't have any effect on you. You've literally just escaped them!
    This is my sister She literally escaped all of Gove's reforms while I have had to deal with all of the new GCSE linear reforms and will have to deal with the new A-Levels come 2015. Why do they make everything so confusing?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imsophie)
    so when applying to universities you will still apply with as results?
    And so do your as grades not count towards your overall grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well this question remains to be unanswered, as UCAS and universities are of yet to announce what the AS standalone qualification means. Some teachers, predict it will mean the exact same as the AS ones have this year.

What will happen (depending on the school/college you go to) is you will probably do 3 A-levels to pick, then picking 1 AS level. OR you would have to just pick 3 A-levels OR pick 4 AS levels.

So let's say "picking 3 A-level and then picking 1 AS Level" is called Scenario A.
    If this was the case, you would only have about 2 papers to sit at the end of Year 12 in your AS Level subject, whilst you will continue to study your other 3 A-levels. You will most likely drop the AS-level anyway (hence why you have picked it as your 4th subject).

Scenario B will be picking 3 A-levels.
    If you were to pick 3 A-levels, you would just continue your studies and have no exams until the end of Year 13 (your 2nd and final years of A-level study). Which means there won't be any exams in your 1st year.

Scenario C will be you picking 4 AS levels.
    Now, what will happen is that you shall pick your subject and then most likely will do at least 2 papers per subject in all these 4 AS levels (if they are the NEW A-level. For example, Media Studies, and Maths are the few subjects that won't be changed until the start of Sept 2017, for first award in 2019 for the A-levels). You will then have your exams at the end of Year 12, so in May 2016. Now, depending on your results, you will drop one AS, and then bring the other 3 forward towards your A-level which means you will have to do the remainder of the exams so usually unit or components 3 and 4.

AS-levels are standalone qualifications from A-levels. AS-levels you will study for only ONE year, at the end of Year 12. Whilst A-levels you will study for TWO years, and have your exams at the end of Year 13.

Does all of this make sense?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imsophie)
    okay thanks, you've been helpful
    so will there be more a level exams because of this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, there won't be more A-level exams because of this. It will remain the exact same. However, it is just piled up into one exam season over the last year, instead of taking 2 exams per year. You now will take either 3 or 4 exams per subject in the remainder of the year.

This is how the old A-levels before 2009 used to be.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janicee)
    Exactly! I have never put in so much effort into anything before!
    Literally I almost went insane. Had sleeping problems because I couldn't stop thinking about the amount of work I had.
    Then I'd break down. Then I'd get up and do work. Not sleeping and just crying was doing nothing to help me.
    Then I'd go into school the next day hating on everything because I hate mornings and mornings are even more hateful when your tired haha.

And now they're making it harder?! That is more insane than I ever was. And that is a lot.
    This was how the old A-levels were. It was how our teachers took them! They actually dumbed it down for us - as what the A-levels are now.

They are going back to the "original way"! But I do know it's unfair! HOWEVER, the new kids who will be doing the new GCSEs will be more prepared for the new A-levels, than the kids who will be entering Year 11 in Sept, they will be the guinea pigs for this educational experiment!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Goes back to the saying 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'. Scrapping january exams was a big move, this is a massive change and the repercussions could put students at a huge disadvantage. The ironic thing is the fact he has escaped from being at the forefront for any backlash if this new system is a total failure.
    Oh hunny, the education system has been broken for years and years. It's been going on like this for years. At least since Labour were in charge of controlling education. Between 10-15 years I believe!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    oh right, because AS level is 1 year, and then A-level (totally separate) is 2 years?
    The AS & A-level qualifications are still separate, BUT they will be able to be taught at the same time, with the same class etc. It is called "co-teachable A-levels".

So imagine, this: if you take English Literature at sixth form.... You will be reading all the same texts as your class mates. However your sixth form might say "right the English department is giving pupils the opportunity to see if you guys will be right to study the next year of this course, so you will sit the AS-level exam. If you succeed, we will carry your marks over to the A-level qualification, thus continuing your studies. If you don't succeed, you will not carry the marks forward, and you will end up with an AS-level in English Literature."

Does this make any sense to you?

So if you end up with an AS-level qualification, that would be one year, and then you will continue studying your other subjects to A-level in your final year. So all of this will be studied over a period of 2 years.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by us3481jd)
    Will somebody with AS's be able to enter University or will they have to have A-levels?
    You will need to have 3 A-levels to enter university. However, unis have no stated what the AS standalone qualification means to them yet. They are (UCAS) expected to release this information around autumn time, this year.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani04)
    It has helped thank you very much! I just felt myself die inside. I know I completely will fail these GCSE's and knowing they will use this to compare has made me feel a complete failure. Knowing they use SATs to give your target grade for GCSE's I thought this was bad enough..

Why do teachers need an easy life. A job is a job and don't complain to what you signed up for!
    They shall not use your GCSEs to predict your A-level results!! I've seen many exam board online briefing and most schools with use an electronic database system to predict your grades from the assessments you will do for them throughout the year in those subjects. Your GCSEs will become irrelevant to them.

SATs was abolished when I was in year 9 which was in 2009. You would have been in Year 8 then I'm sure? Anywho, they say they used SATs, but they don't because they don't count towards League Tables anymore which is why they abolished it. They perhaps use them to test you at the end of years to determine your GCSE sets and pathways, but nothing more. They don't use SATs to predict your GCSEs. And they don't use GCSEs to predict your A-levels either.

I will have you know, many teachers are against the new reform and do not like it as Gove has brought it on way too quickly. Yes it removes less paper work, but however, it's more rigorous than every before, thus putting more pressure on teachers to do well first time. If their students fail the GCSE and A-level exams over the 2 year basis, teachers will most likely get the blame for "not preparing them well enough". Teachers will be more stressed. Plus they only will have about half a year to prepare for this new academic change, which is stressful as it is!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.