Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people dislike Windows 8(.1)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muffingg)
    Because it's completely new from what people are used to. People that can't adapt to changes will always hate newer things. Same with FIFA 14, which was quite a lot different from FIFA 13 and all the previous ones, resulting in everyone hating on it.
    Fifa 14 is not a good analogy, even the bloody commentary is broke on that game.

ReputationRep:
    Personally windows 8.1 left my computer with some effed up touchpad driver issues.
    Plus I really don't like the fact I have to use a Microsoft email log in to actually login to my laptop. I don't use that email address at all yet I'm forced to have it as my default Microsoft email.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Isn't it riddled with NSA backdoors?
    Probably. Linux certainly isn't (since you can view the code) but I wouldn't bet on there not being backdoors in processors. I imagine this is why China has been keen on its own CPU architecture...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Should've thought so.

I cannot get over your avatar, or whatever they call it
    I'm cel shaded in real life. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I'm cel shaded in real life. :fyi:
    :laugh: I wouldn't mind being cel shaded.

During my first year, if I get enough time I'll probably do some cel animation for my character on here. I have a premade one on my FB. Freshers page keeps declining me because of it, they must think I'm a troll or something :cry:

ReputationRep:
    People are afraid of change. It seems to be human nature! I like the tile layout but I personally think Microsoft should keep it for their tablets and phones. Also (at least for me) a lot of the little features were not evident at all without a YouTube video or other article explaining it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Mac user so I haven't had the chance to use it but, from what I've seen it looks quite fast and I like the idea of 'live tiles'.
    I like new tech and look forward to using it when I buy a Windows laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)

The two different sets of settings are Control Panel and PC Settings. Some settings are visible in both, most are only visible in one or the other.
    I hate stuff like this. It's like facebook... they used to have a settings page, with all settings on. Easy peasy. Then people 'complained it was too complicated' and they have now split up all the settings so some are there, some are on the page, some are in a separate privacy section. It takes a million years to find the correct setting and you're never sure what your settings are. Keep it in one place, please!

xxx
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepingStag)
    People are afraid of change. It seems to be human nature! I like the tile layout but I personally think Microsoft should keep it for their tablets and phones. Also (at least for me) a lot of the little features were not evident at all without a YouTube video or other article explaining it.
    It gets better: MS have decided they want to do what Apple claimed to be impossible, they want to unify all their OSs into a single OS (xbox, desktop/tablet and mobile). I wonder if they will follow through or decide it is impossible to do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not the lack of start menu that bothers me but the lack of a taskbar - without one it's an incredibly inefficient and frustrating OS when you're actually trying to get stuff done (which is what desktops and laptops are for). With a persistent taskbar over the metro interface, the new start menu with its live tiles and scrolling would essentially become a very nice replacement for the traditional desktop. For tablet users there is little use for a taskbar so it would remain as it is on 8.1 but this would still provide a familiar (though optimised) interface no matter which device you were using it on instead of the bizarre hybrid we have at the moment.

The one flaw that I can see to this idea is the probllem with modern apps vs traditional programs. As a desktop user I would be quite happy to have modern apps run in windows as looks to be the implementation in w9 but this wouldn't be especially nice on a tablet. Though ideally tablet users shouldn't have to run traditional programs as there should be an app alternative, perhaps for tablet users traditional programs should load in a snappable section similar to modern apps.

Regardless of this probllem with apps vs programs I really do think this would be a much better implementation than what we have at present. If anyone knows of a way to mod w8 to something like this idea then please let me know.

ReputationRep:
    when I wants to shutdown a pc with windows

i push the power button

ReputationRep:
    windows 8 removed windows aero and claims that it start up faster than win 7

The Mac, the Mac :sick:
      Nothing wrong with a Mac, it's impossible if you want to use Excel and PowerPoint properly as well as if you want Windows only software (which for most financial programs, they are Windows only). Personally I just installed Windows 8 on my iMac through Boot Camp which works like a charm iPad and iPhone for the road, iMac with Windows for home and office

Although I did get a Windows keyboard as I needed the shortcuts which when using a Apple keyboard they are a massive pain to use :lol:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      Nothing wrong with a Mac, it's impossible if you want to use Excel and PowerPoint properly as well as if you want Windows only software (which for most financial programs, they are Windows only). Personally I just installed Windows 8 on my iMac through Boot Camp which works like a charm iPad and iPhone for the road, iMac with Windows for home and office

Although I did get a Windows keyboard as I needed the shortcuts which when using a Apple keyboard they are a massive pain to use :lol:
      Well there's nothing wrong with it, but I've only ever found a Mac to be useful for those doing graphical design and other subjects alike.

It really does annoy me when people buy a Mac, and don't even use any of the features unique to it. It's almost as if they want to waste money.

Although I can't lie, the design of it really is something :sexface:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jammy Duel)
      It gets better: MS have decided they want to do what Apple claimed to be impossible, they want to unify all their OSs into a single OS (xbox, desktop/tablet and mobile). I wonder if they will follow through or decide it is impossible to do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Well we already know how Windows 8 turned out .

Well there's nothing wrong with it, but I've only ever found a Mac to be useful for those doing graphical design and other subjects alike.

It really does annoy me when people buy a Mac, and don't even use any of the features unique to it. It's almost as if they want to waste money.

Although I can't lie, the design of it really is something :sexface:
      I only find Windows to be useful for running Windows-only programs. OSX is so much more pleasant to use.

It also annoys me when people buy a Windows laptop, and doesn't run Windows-only programs. Why buy Windows if you are only going to use programs that also have Mac versions?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
      It also annoys me when people buy a Windows laptop, and doesn't run Windows-only programs. Why buy Windows if you are only going to use programs that also have Mac versions?
      Because they don't have a spare £900+ to spend on a machine they're going to use to browse the internet?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by benplumley)
      Because they don't have a spare £900+ to spend on a machine they're going to use to browse the internet?
      That's fair enough.

Apple should really make a low end laptop. Not sure why they are totally ignoring that market segment.

I'll revise my annoyance to be for people who buy high end Windows laptops to do what Macs can do, too, then .

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)

You should check out parallels; it's a godsend

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
      That's fair enough.

Apple should really make a low end laptop. Not sure why they are totally ignoring that market segment.
      By only making expensive products, they appeal to people who want other people to know they're rich and successful. If it wasn't obvious at a glance that someone's Macbook was expensive, a lot of people would be put off of buying one. That's why the 5C caused a bit of controversy. It's also how they get away with charging enormous premiums over the cost of manufacture/advertising/wages for things like iPhones when some equal or better Android phones are being sold for less than they cost to make.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by samba)
      You should check out parallels; it's a godsend
      +1. Parallel Coherence mode is pure magic.

My only complaint is it reduces battery life by a few hours. But hey! That's still longer than most Windows laptops!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.