Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dehydrated)
    No. It should be made illegal IMO. Allowing parents to socially deprive their kids like that is horrendous.
    You evidently have no idea about home education. To put this in the politest way possible, I think you should perhaps consider looking into what home education in the UK entails, rather than making aggressive accusations and suggestions from what is obviously nothing more than uneducated assumption.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if required, I would home educate my kids, at least until secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    You evidently have no idea about home education. To put this in the politest way possible, I think you should perhaps consider looking into what home education in the UK entails, rather than making aggressive accusations and suggestions from what is obviously nothing more than uneducated assumption.
    Read the rest of my posts on this thread. I have several friends who were home-schooled.

Now who's "making aggressive accusations and suggestions from what is obviously nothing more than assumption"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dehydrated)
    Read the rest of my posts on this thread. I have several friends who were home-schooled.

Now who's "making aggressive accusations and suggestions from what is obviously nothing more than assumption"?
    I was home educated and had a fantastic social life. So again, even if from friends,your idea of it is still obviously purely assumption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Strongly agree. You can really get brainwashed and pushed into things at school if you don't view everything critically.

edit: why is 'p r o b l e m' filtered?

and I'm not even from a chavvy family and I've been subjected to violence and all sorts as a result of going to a ****'ole of a school.
    Yeah, they just push the agenda that society wants in order to maintain the norms instead of questioning and progressing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccagood95)
    Why do people seem to think school is the only place you can make friends?
    Did none of you have childhood friends from next door, friends from your football or relatives the same age?
    My boyfriend went to school but never really had any friends until uni, but the one really good friend he's always had was the boy who lived next door to his Gran. And they're still best friends now.

It just looks like you all think home schooled children will be trapped in a basement with a textbook. :rofl:
    And I've seen PLENTY of "socially inept" people come out of schools.
    Good points but I think it depends on the social capacity of the individual whether they make friends or not. I had friends from the kids around the way as well as school but loved my out of school friends most, even though where I am your neighbors are zoned to go to your school; it's for ****ty socioeconomic reasons.

I also do think that they're trapped inside with a textbook but that's just from the girl I know personally who really was that Lifetime Movie cutout of a depraved home-schooled child gone mad :indiff:

My ideas really are just that a lot of the times that deranged killer was home-schooled, says the news, anyway

ReputationRep:
    Would like to point out that as a result of being educated in state schools I now live with stuff like this lmfao

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post48832665

dat thug life yo. If you're homeschooled the chances of being in fights all the time goes down to zero.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't home school my children but we did supplement their education at home - that was the right thing for my kids

I have known a number of home-school students and I think a lot depends on why and on the capacity/interest of the parents

At it's best you have parents who want to give their kids a different experience and have the capacity and interest to make it a good experience - getting involved with the home-school associations - ensuring that their children do not fall behind the National Curriculum - adding to the education rather than detracting from it

At it's worst I have seen parents who have out of control children who cannot behave in school and who home-school as a way of avoiding the issues

Then there is the home-shooling to avoid bullying issues - I have mixed thoughts on this - it is clear that some schools do not do enough to prevent bullying but I am not sure that removing the child from the social situation is the best solution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Would like to point out that as a result of being educated in state schools I now live with stuff like this lmfao

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post48832665

dat thug life yo. If you're homeschooled the chances of being in fights all the time goes down to zero.
    :sad2:

Hugs bro, I also have to life with **** because of state school. I used to constantly get into fights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)

Then there is the home-shooling to avoid bullying issues - I have mixed thoughts on this - it is clear that some schools do not do enough to prevent bullying but I am not sure that removing the child from the social situation is the best solution
    If I had been homeschooled, several issues that happened throughout my life (self harm, depression, getting into an abusive relationship, ending up in hospital, running away, to name a few) would never have happened. Removing me from the situation would have improved my teenage life x100000000.

I don't "regret" anything or wish it had been different because it made me who I am today, but no one should have to go through that. I certainly wouldn't expose my own kids to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    I can tell you are going to be popular :rolleyes:

here is a little tip; people don't like antisocial jerks, and people don't hire people they don't like. Good luck networking
    Thnx bb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Yeah, they just push the agenda that society wants in order to maintain the norms instead of questioning and progressing
    What agenda? You have been saying that school stamps out kids individuality and turns them into little drones, but I am not sure what you actually mean by that. I don't see what a home schooled kid is going to end up doing any differently in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    What agenda? You have been saying that school stamps out kids individuality and turns them into little drones, but I am not sure what you actually mean by that. I don't see what a home schooled kid is going to end up doing any differently in life.
    The idea that being different is bad

The idea that there's only one way to be

Making kid answer to a mechanical bell like animals

Making kids follow arbitrary rules

Catering to the average and not the individual

Not allowing people to develop their own way

Encouraging bullying

Encouraging target focused and grade focused

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd homeschool my kids...

But I think my life would be so much better if I was homeschooled *sigh* I HATED SECONDARY SCHOOL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyAintDead)
    A Steiner school is probably your best bet.
    Just no.

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.u...racist-mystic/

ReputationRep:
    The idea that being different is bad

The idea that there's only one way to be
    I suppose that is true to an extent, but it damn you are putting it in a pretentious way. Either you are overestimating how generic school kids end up, or you are overestimating the precious little snowflakes they could have been.

Making kid answer to a mechanical bell like animals

Making kids follow arbitrary rules
    Yep, because arbitrary rules and schedules are totally not things kids will ever have to put up with later in life.

Catering to the average and not the individual
    Eh, kinda. Most schools stream kids into ability groups and have extra support for kids falling behind.

Not allowing people to develop their own way
    what is that even supposed to mean?

Encouraging bullying
    no. maybe they could do a better job at tackling it, but schools don't encourage it.

Encouraging target focused and grade focused
    Again, welcome to the real world. I admit there is a ******* with learning to get through exams rather than to actually learn, but in the end you need some kind of qualifications and that will always mean some kind of assesment.

seriously, bleeping out p r o b l e m? what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    I suppose that is true to an extent, but it damn you are putting it in a pretentious way. Either you are overestimating how generic school kids end up, or you are overestimating the precious little snowflakes they could have been.
    They're very generic

Yep, because arbitrary rules and schedules are totally not things kids will ever have to put up with later in life.
    They won't work for my own children, they don't work for me.

Eh, kinda. Most schools stream kids into ability groups and have extra support for kids falling behind.
    Not really. I was on the gifted and talented list and got **** all support, and in fact did crap because I was so bored by the average stuff I used to make paper airplanes and be a disruptive nuisance.

what is that even supposed to mean?
    Kids develop at their own pace. Just because they don't hit milestones by certain points doesn't make them "wrong". But school says we must do this by this age, that by another age
    no. maybe they could do a better job at tackling it, but schools don't encourage it.
    Yes they do. By having a uniform policy, they give the impression different is bad. By making everyone the same, they are condoning picking on those who are not.

I was actually told by a teacher "well maybe if you made an effort instead of sat there sketching you wouldn't get picked on" erm how about you tell the idiots to leave me alone?

Again, welcome to the real world. I admit there is a ******* with learning to get through exams rather than to actually learn, but in the end you need some kind of qualifications and that will always mean some kind of assesment.
    If you just go along with it, you make no effort to change it. Society only gets changed by taking a stand!

ReputationRep:
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    They're very generic
    and I suppose you are a precious snowflake?

They won't work for my own children, they don't work for me.
    the real world has arbitrary rules and schedules, you can't avoid that. Also so does parenting, unless you plan on successfully explaining the reasoning behind your every instruction to a kid yet to learn to tie their shoes.

Not really. I was on the gifted and talented list and got **** all support, and in fact did crap because I was so bored by the average stuff I used to make paper airplanes and be a disruptive nuisance.

Kids develop at their own pace. Just because they don't hit milestones by certain points doesn't make them "wrong". But school says we must do this by this age, that by another age
    fair enough

Yes they do. By having a uniform policy, they give the impression different is bad. By making everyone the same, they are condoning picking on those who are not.

I was actually told by a teacher "well maybe if you made an effort instead of sat there sketching you wouldn't get picked on" erm how about you tell the idiots to leave me alone?
    I would argue that the uniform policy encourages equality. If kids have their own clothes, it it just another thing for them to pick on each other for.

And that is a bit of a **** thing to say, but lets be honest that isn't entirely without truth.

If you just go along with it, you make no effort to change it. Society only gets changed by taking a stand!
    And what changes would you recommend? Because as I see it, people need jobs, jobs need skills, employers need a way of judging skills. I don't particularly see a reason to take a stand, society mostly works well and I am doing well in it.

Not wanting to offend, but you sound like you try so hard not to conform that you have just became a different kind of stereotype. Not conforming to society doesn't mean it isn't defining you.

ReputationRep:
    Primary and secondary education is much more about developing your social skills than it is about academic studies. You only begin to do any real work in like year 9

School can be a pretty **** environment, however it should go some way in teaching kids how malicious and unfair humans are or whatever. So, no. I wouldn't home school my kids, I think it's actually more destructive than sending them to boarding school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.