Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ladies: Would you appreciate this or find it creepy? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you appreciate this?
    Yes!
    45.95%
    Depends on my mood (please explain)
    24.32%
    No, it's creepy and sleezy.
    29.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    It is because it's unexpected. If I'm walking along, minding my own business and someone comes up like that it doesn't make me feel at ease
    So what? It does not equal an invasion of your personal space, I guess anyone who asks you a question unexpectedly when you are walking outdoors in your view is invading your personal space. Maybe you should stay inside, just in case someone talks to you when you're outside.

Still I understand not all women are as illogical as you, so not going to be making any blanket statements about women here. I find non British women i.e from most eastern European countries do not mind the odd compliment and have a better sense of humour.

Although there are definitely English women who can have a good laugh without taking offence it seems to be ingrained in British culture now for women to take offence at any communication of attraction from a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotliketea)
    i'd appreciate it , and i'd be willing to talk to them etc , but i'd also be clear i have a boyfriend because the problem with that kind of approach is that it sounds like they're after you sexually

so yeah , i'd make it clear i'm not interested like that
    If a guy is attracted to you of course he is after you sexually, I am not sure why this would be something of putting for you, unless its done aggressively. You are just stating the obvious here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inachigeek21)
    In my respective viewpoint, I would find statements similar to this slightly creepy. But the main purpose why I would despise this statement is because I do not know that guy, and I do not know the his intentions behind this nor any acknowledgement of his personality. So, yeah... anyone with me on this idea?
    How hard is it to guess what the guys agenda is? It cannot be that many options.

1. He just wants to let you know he thinks you are beautiful than go about his day.

2. He wants to let you know and maybe get to know you better as a friend or within an intimate relationship.

3. Although this is highly unlikely but will add it for the women who fear any approach from a strange man they do not know, he wants to do something really bad to you.

I don't think anyone should be with you in this idea because you seem to lack common sense and maybe suffer from paranoia.

It seems your fear comes from not knowing the guy and not knowing anything else there is to know about him, just in case he's really dangerous.

I really wonder how you go about getting to know people in life. It's only through talking to a person that you will ever get to know them, I hope you understand that.

ReputationRep:
    Considering some of the ridiculous replies to the question, I am guessing a lot of the women with a negative view of such an approach carry pepper spray with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mancini)
    How hard is it to guess what the guys agenda is? It cannot be that many options.

1. He just wants to let you know he thinks you are beautiful than go about his day.

2. He wants to let you know and maybe get to know you better as a friend or within an intimate relationship.

3. Although this is highly unlikely but will add it for the women who fear any approach from a strange man they do not know, he wants to do something really bad to you.

I don't think anyone should be with you in this idea because you seem to lack common sense and maybe suffer from paranoia.

It seems your fear comes from not knowing the guy and not knowing anything else there is to know about him, just in case he's really dangerous.

I really wonder how you go about getting to know people in life. It's only through talking to a person that you will ever get to know them, I hope you understand that.
    Hi, yeah your kind of right of paranoia. I do suffer from it, it's always been a problem. I'm an introvert btw, so i'm not keen on social interactions. And I doubt on this fact, this will never happen. Lol. Guys are complicated.

ReputationRep:
    Well you know the protocol for this:

If you're attractive it's flattering.

If you're ugly it's creepy.

Here's a (slightly exaggerated) video on what would happen when an average guy goes up to some women vs. when an attractive guy does so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbeEuYAZFL4

ReputationRep:
    I would wonder if they were just saying it for a joke but if it seemed sincere I'd be extremely flattered.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2014
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.